Wii Fit

Options
2»

Replies

• scoutwife706
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the replies. I didn't even know there was a Wii Active!!! :) I think I'm going to look into buying one or the other. Like many of you have said I need something for those days that I can't leave the house or whatever. I currently live in Germany and we really far out from the Military Post so going to the gym isn't even really an option with only having one car. So until we leave (which is in four months) I'm trying to find something that can help me get some work out time while I'm at home with my kiddos. I've also been wanting to find something that might hold their interest for a while so they can work out with me and not get into trouble while I'm working out. I am really trying to change things around and get my kids into eating right and exercising so that they don't grow up with weight problems like I did!!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the replies. I didn't even know there was a Wii Active!!! :) I think I'm going to look into buying one or the other. Like many of you have said I need something for those days that I can't leave the house or whatever. I currently live in Germany and we really far out from the Military Post so going to the gym isn't even really an option with only having one car. So until we leave (which is in four months) I'm trying to find something that can help me get some work out time while I'm at home with my kiddos. I've also been wanting to find something that might hold their interest for a while so they can work out with me and not get into trouble while I'm working out. I am really trying to change things around and get my kids into eating right and exercising so that they don't grow up with weight problems like I did!!!

I don't know how old your kids are but my 4 year old loves the Wii Fit Plus. It definitely gets his attention and he will either do games right along with me or can do some on his own (including the more exercis-y ones like running and attempting yoga). I can do My Fitness Coach with him in the room but that doesn't hold his attention as long (understandably). No advice on EA Active but I do think from my experience this may be the best way to get kids involved and moving a little... and then move that on to other active activities later.
  • kcbythec
    kcbythec Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am a Wii fit lover. It's not the only thing I do, but if I don't have time to get to the gym, I use it. I also use it when I'm tired of doing weights at the gym and just want a break. I have all the programs to date, including Sport, DDR, EActive. I too find that the calories burned on the program are way low compared to my HRM. Also there are some things that I don't like too much in EActive, that being the changing back and forth from Nunchuck and remote, to just remote and vice versa. Trying to get that darned rubber band just the right way. DDR is my favourite and sport resort is fun too, the boxing is incredibly good for your core. I put four of those hard rubber play mats that you use for kids to make it more joint friendly.

Enjoy!

KCbythec
  • vbalchick_09
    vbalchick_09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where to find where you can choose programs to go by on wii fit?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit plus. I don't use it solely, but some things about it are good for doing something different. I don't think the weight/strength training is real good. They work one muscle (like the biceps) but not the opposing muscle (triceps).

But I do like it for the balance games (very good here), the HulaHoop and a few other things. Not sure about the yoga, I don't know enough about it to know if it's a well-rounded workout. I have the My Personal Trainer (I have 1, the review of 2 weren't that good so I didn't get it), I do wish that she would lead you through the yoga moves more than once, tho. Sometimes I need prompting as to what to do next in the salutations, etc.

I haven't had much of a problem at all with the weight, it's pretty well on target.

Like tbear, not too crazy about all the time between segments. Gives me too much of a time to get my heartrate down (mine comes down very fast)

One plus is that you can workout for a short amount of time. If all I have is 30 minutes, that can be worked. Sometimes even just 15 minutes of the yoga.

I don't find that I work up as much of a sweat or burn as many calories as I do when I go to the gym, however, the WiiFit is good for the active recovery days

To find programs for the Wii, do a search on amazon. I know they have a walking game and that got pretty high reviews.