Good post
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh

Wait?! What?! No cleansing or detoxing? Or green coffee beans, raspberry ketones? I don't have to give up pasta for the rest of my life? And what if I have a desk job?! Do I need to become a gluten free vegan low carb intermittent faster? Should I not eat after 7pm?!?!?

Sorry I've been on the forums to much lately. Excellent solid straight forward advice!!! Thanks for the post!!! :flowerforyou:
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I have a couple of method questions:

I don't have a gym membership, nor any weight machines at home. Do things like push-ups or squats counts as a form of "lifting", because me doing a push-up is kinda like benching quite a bit of weight...
    And how do you find out your LBM so you know how much protein to eat?
    I can feel that I have some great muscles hiding under the fat and I'd love to get rid of it.
  • biddy81
    Options

Wait?! What?! No cleansing or detoxing? Or green coffee beans, raspberry ketones? I don't have to give up pasta for the rest of my life? And what if I have a desk job?! Do I need to become a gluten free vegan low carb intermittent faster? Should I not eat after 7pm?!?!?

Sorry I've been on the forums to much lately. Excellent solid straight forward advice!!! Thanks for the post!!! :flowerforyou:

:laugh: Soooo true...
  • taylorwaters98
    taylorwaters98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    y'all are giving me a friggen headache!

I just wanna lower my BF% & I am having a HELL of a time doing it.

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

I drink like a gallon of water a day.

WHATS MY PROBLEM? I am 135 @ 5'6 and 26% BF :(

You've lost 20 pounds.

Yes, but I am still at 26% BF. If I were say... 135 and 22% or 20% BF then I would be happy. I just cant figure out the happy balance to stop losing weight and just lose BF.

Hormones. Women hang on to belly fat more than men do because we make babies in the belly area. It's to insulate possible fetuses. If you're on hormone birth control, especially the shot, your homones are going to make you hold on to that belly fat. If you aren't currently sexually active, try going off b.c. for a month. If you have a single partner, you can always use male contriceptives instead.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

What kind of weight lifting are we talking here? 5lb Barbie weights or something on a bar that's taller than you? If the former, drop them and go for the big stuff. If the latter, keep it up and make sure you're pushing yourself. And try dropping some of the cardio.

Might want to try changing your macros, too. MFP, by default, gives you a high carb level and low protein level. It might also be worth trying something like getting most of your carbs from veggies instead of grains if you're not already.

LOL. The only time I do "barbie" weights is when I am not at the gym... because the heaviest I have at home is 12lbs. BUT, yes when at the gym I do lift heavy. It alternates sometimes I do lower weights higher reps.. other times I do the absolute max I can lift until I fail.

I do a lot of HIIT with the weights.

I do eat brown rice but usually no later than lunchtime and no more than a few times a week.. My veggie intake is HUGE. I love them and cant get enough.

Maybe I am not pushing myself hard enough?

Based on your numbers and your profile pic, I'm wondering if you have the right BF% #. If you are a new mom and using calipers on your tummy, it's going to be wrong. If you can cough up around 100 bucks, go get a DEXA scan. It's a accurate as you can get. And cool as hell.
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well I liked the simplicity
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I don't have a gym membership, nor any weight machines at home. Do things like push-ups or squats counts as a form of "lifting", because me doing a push-up is kinda like benching quite a bit of weight...
    I can feel that I have some great muscles hiding under the fat and I'd love to get rid of it.

Absolutely. ANY lifting is heavy lifting, if you can only lift the item in question 5-8x or so.

Take a look at this:
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set. The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I could come up with dozens more if needed. Google is your friend if you are unsure what an exercise is or how to perform it properly. Youtube is usually a good resource. Remember also, you can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest, backpack, or resistance bands if necessary.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

If you need any help with choosing exercises, or anything else, let me know!

I ended up losing 40lbs of primarily FAT in 3mos with that workout. I didn't eat clean, I didn't obsess over how small or large my deficit was every day (just that I had one). I didn't do cardio either. I just lifted my own body in ways where I failed in 5 or so reps, and ate under my maintenance.

Period.

As for the protein question, just eat .75-1g/lb of bodyweight. You can't realistically overdo protein.

Just make sure you're drinking enough water, and getting your fiber in...thank me for that bit of advice later!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I know nothing about lifting weight :frown: all my exercise is usually cadio.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Oh well, I guess people don't like simplicity.

Apparently not!!!
    I did though.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I thought a small deficit was best for fat loss?

For some that is small. Depending on how much fat you need to lose.

Yeah--I've seen some people post that they lost 30 pounds a month when they started (but they were pretty big). I agree with you OP---lifting weight is very good for fat loss.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options

how many calories are you eating?

I am eating 1300. But I eat my exercise calories back. I sit at a desk all day with a little walking... So I am pretty much Sedentary. I JUST read a forum that said I should try a 30% Carb intake, 50% Protein, and 20% Fat... is this about right? I am going to change my settings if so...
  • biddy81
    Options

Absolutely. ANY lifting is heavy lifting, if you can only lift the item in question 5-8x or so.

Take a look at this:
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set. The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I could come up with dozens more if needed. Google is your friend if you are unsure what an exercise is or how to perform it properly. Youtube is usually a good resource. Remember also, you can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest, backpack, or resistance bands if necessary.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

I ended up losing 40lbs of primarily FAT in 3mos with that workout. I didn't eat clean, I didn't obsess over how small or large my deficit was every day (just that I had one). I didn't do cardio either. I just lifted my own body in ways where I failed in 5 or so reps, and ate under my maintenance.

Period.

As for the protein question, just eat .75-1g/lb of bodyweight. You can't realistically overdo protein.

Just make sure you're drinking enough water, and getting your fiber in...thank me for that bit of advice later!

Thank you very much! I do a fair amount of cardio, but a LOT of what I do would count as one form of lifting or another. And I'm already pretty focused on my water and fiber intake.

Thanks again!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

how many calories are you eating?

I am eating 1300. But I eat my exercise calories back. I sit at a desk all day with a little walking... So I am pretty much Sedentary. I JUST read a forum that said I should try a 30% Carb intake, 50% Protein, and 20% Fat... is this about right? I am going to change my settings if so...

I'd be surprised, very surprised, if 1300cal is enough, considering your activity level outside of work. I worked with a 39yr old 5'2" tall woman awhile back. She couldn't burn fat unless I made her eat well over 1500cal, with 2000cal turning out to be the magic number (it took awhile to get her to go that high). Granted she was a nurse...but even still. With your age (younger), etc...I don't believe 1300 is realistic.

What is your average over a week? Since you say you eat back your exercise calories?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I will give it my all. Though there is some overwhelming uncertainty with #3.

• Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How do you know what your lean body mass is?
  • biddy81
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

eta: I already drink protein shakes fairly regularly for breakfast/post workout recovery, I'd just have to drink like 12 of them a day or something...
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Take a look at this:

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

Period.

Thank you very much! I do a fair amount of cardio, but a LOT of what I do would count as one form of lifting or another. And I'm already pretty focused on my water and fiber intake.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! But understand, just lifting boxes or whatever else (even in an 'exercise' scenario) isn't really going to do what you want. I work in construction...I'm lifting/working/doing something all freaking day long. Yet...without a regimented lifting program...I retain my belly and love handles like no one's business. My BMF and Fitbit both tell me I'm burning well over 3000cal/day. I eat on average less than 3000cal/day, but the belly fat goes nowhere unless I'm training.

Try the above workout program out for a month, I think you'll be very, very pleased if you put 110% in on your effort.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Take a look at this:

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

Period.

Will definitely use this to switch up my routines. I have been lifting heavy for about 3 weeks. I already feel stronger........ =)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

I'm 180lbs or so. I eat between 100-150g of protein a day without any issue, and one of my meals almost always consists of taco bell. I don't do protein shakes either. I would like to eat a bit more, but I know I'm carrying at LEAST 30lbs of bodyfat, so I don't worry about it too much.

Women have a little harder time getting the protein in within their calorie limit. Being female, and 31yrs old, at 210lbs (no clue how tall you are), I'd say 125g of protein would be a reasonable start for you. Your protein intake is important, but right now...getting your weight down is of far more importance. Believe me, if you're getting 100g+ of protein in, and lifting heavy with a program like I listed...you'll retain plenty of lean mass while you cut bodyfat.