Do I really need to look at protein..

Options
... when wanting to lose BF?
I have a fairly high BF% right now (according to unreliable scales). However, I am willing to do resistence training and eat a low caloric diet but do I really have to moniter protein?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to burn fat is by building muscle. Muscle is made of protein. Ergo, you need more protein. A gram for every pound you weigh is a good rule of thumb.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Why not monitor protein?
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to lose muscle mass along with your body fat... it's a must!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    For optimal results, yes.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would look at protein regularly, because protein helps you maintain LBM(lean body mass) You don't want to burn your muscle as you are losing weight!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    ... when wanting to lose BF?
    I have a fairly high BF% right now (according to unreliable scales). However, I am willing to do resistence training and eat a low caloric diet but do I really have to moniter protein?

Yes!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes.

It's not that big of a deal.

It's right there on the screen with the rest of your calories.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would argue that protein is the most important of the three, and it is vital to ensure that one is getting enough.
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You also don't want to eat too much protein as it will turn into fat it you over do it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Relax MFP will do it for you.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You also don't want to eat too much protein as it will turn into fat it you over do it.

No!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

No, excess calories will create fat - if you are eating in a deficit how can the protein turn into fat?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Excess calories will turn into fat not excess protein.

Edit: Whoop! I think the points been made.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to burn fat is by building muscle. Muscle is made of protein. Ergo, you need more protein. A gram for every pound you weigh is a good rule of thumb.

This!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I should also add that you can turn fat into muscle...

*giggles and runs away*
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

What?! I thought extra protein (left over after your body has used what it need for rebuilding/repairing) turned into glucose. Have I missed something? :huh:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

HUH?!?!? Can you post up some literature backing this up?
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A gram for every pound you weigh is a good rule of thumb.

For us Real-Fatties, that is a s**t-ton of protein. I've heard lots of differing viewpoints on how much to eat. The "1g for every pound of lean body mass" idea makes more sense to me...
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    A gram for every pound you weigh is a good rule of thumb.

For us Real-Fatties, that is a s**t-ton of protein. I've heard lots of differing viewpoints on how much to eat. The "1g for every pound of lean body mass" idea makes more sense to me...

I understood the correct amount to be about 1g per pound of IDEAL body weight. So, if you weigh 200lbs, but you really should be around 130lbs, you should eat 130g of protein a day (give or take).
  • corgill1584
    corgill1584 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes protein is absolutely important. Research has proven that it stimulates protein synthasis and its main function is to rebuild and replenish broken down muscle tissue. The RDA (recommended diatary allowance for protein is anywhere from 0.8 g/kg/d to 1.7 g/kg/d. So for example I weigh 191 lbs I would convert that to kg by dividing it by 2.2 and then I times my weight in kg by .8 - 1.7 and that means I would need anywhere from 68 grams to 147 grams of protein each day. From personal experience of losing a lot of weight with and without protein PROTEIN is a MUST!!!