Slow Cooker Lentil & Quinoa Stew

Options
cattiemac
cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
I can't remember where I got this recipe from - I've been making it for years!! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!! It freezes well ...

Slow Cooker Lentil & Quinoa Stew
6-8 servings (I usually end up with 7 servings that are approx. 365 g)

Ingredients
2 cups brown lentils
1/2 cup quinoa
7-1/2 cups water
1-2 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 small sweet potato, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teas wheat-free tamari (or soy sauce if you aren’t on a wheat-free diet)
2 tablespoons miso
2 tablespoons tomato paste
mixed herbs (any of: oregano, thyme, tarragon, marjoram, sage, cumin)

Instructions
1. Rinse and drain lentils, being sure to pick through them to make sure there are no stones. Rinse and drain quinoa. Add to slow cooker.
2. Dice potatoes and sweet potato, and chop garlic. Add to slow cooker along with herbs (dried or fresh and finely chopped), tomato paste and 6 cups of the water.
3. Cook on high for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. When the stew thickens and cooks down after about 2.5 hours add 1 additional cup water. Usually the lentils and quinoa will cook before the potatoes do, and potato cooking time will vary depending on how big the pieces are. Once everything is cooked, turn off the heat, add tamari and let set a further half hour.
4. Mix the miso and remaining 1/2 cup of water, then add to the stew and mix well.

Nutritional information based on 7 servings:
Calories: 174.6
Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 92.2 mg
Total Carbs: 33.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.6 g
Protein: 8.2 g

This is in the database under "Catherine's Homemade - Slow Cooker Lentil & Quinoa Stew"

Replies

• belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I have some miso powder ... would I use two tablespoons of that (it's the green miso you get with sushi)

Can you eat this as a main dish (in the serving size you indicated) ... is it filling, or in this serving should it be a side?

thanks, sounds great.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have some miso powder ... would I use two tablespoons of that (it's the green miso you get with sushi)

Can you eat this as a main dish (in the serving size you indicated) ... is it filling, or in this serving should it be a side?

thanks, sounds great.

I use miso paste. I assume you could use miso powder but I don't know what the measurements would be. I find it very filling and eat it as a main dish. IYou could pair it with a salad to make a complete meal.
  • cpenn1980
    cpenn1980 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    bump
  • jdayl
    jdayl Posts: 25 Member
    Options

thanks, sounds great.

You are thinking of wasabi the green spicy horseradish type paste you get with sushi. Miso is different, usually white, brown or reddish and not spicy, you can find it in many health food or oriental stores.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump.