What do you do with home cooked meals?

Options
(except for eating them)
What do you do when you eat at a friends/family house? You never knew what exactly is in it (and you can't ask for the recipe of everything), and how do you log it, or make sure that it goes with your calories for the day?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You should just estimate. Personally, I refuse to eat things of unknown caloric content but I'm weird.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Once you count calories for a while an occasional estimate wont' derail your efforts! If it makes you feel better, estimate on the high end.
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    (except for eating them)

It's like you read my mind! I saw the title and thought, "Eat them." But I wasn't going to post it because I figured it would be unhelpful.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    "Yummmmm.... this is delicious. Would yo mind sharing the recipe!?!"

Or break it down and guess.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Just estimate based on something similar. If you want to get really tricky you could try complimenting the chef on the meal and ask them for the recipe so you know exactly what went in.

If it's something that seems to be high cal just exercise portion control and fill up on a salad/veggies if they are available.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You can usually taste what is in food. So you just break it down and log it. Thats what I do anyways. I usually do not have control over what is fixed in this house so I have to guess.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Use something that sounds similar to it from the MFP database! Or guesstimating works well enough too
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You should just estimate. Personally, I refuse to eat things of unknown caloric content but I'm weird.
    Im like that but then my partner gets annoyed at my "I cant eat that today" lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are in the database, especially if the recipe is from one of the more popular websites. It's not going to be exact but you should be able to get a rough estimate. Part of it comes from practice with the recipe builder. You'll get to where you can guess roughly how much meat, how much cheese, etc.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I try to log as accurately as possible as I've been counting and weighing long enough now to have a fairly accurate guess by eye.
    I also try to over log on the calories as it's best to do that than to under log and end up eating way more than your goal.
    Another tip is to exercise that week and not eat the calories back, that way you know you've given yourself some wiggle room if your measurements are out.

Don't be afraid to ask people what they've put in what you are eating. You don't have to say it's for your diet, just enquire in regards to the recipe and that will give you are more accurate idea too.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's not something you do every day, so just make the best estimate you can.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you can find out ahead of time, either make a best guess estimate and allow for a fudge day (contrary to popular board hysteria, a fudge day every once in a while isn't going to kill you). If you're that worried about it, either get some exercise in that day so you have calories to play with or bring your own food. Tuesday night my wife and I went over to a friend's house to visit with mutual friends in from out of town, they said they were having pizza, I brought my own dinner. No one was offended because they all understand I count calories like a fiend. If they're good friends, they'll understand.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I estimate. I look for something in the foods that I feel would closely resemble what I am eating. I have to do that when eating out sometimes too.