Ab exercises (standing up)

Options
2»

Replies

• DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Planks are really great for the abs - here's a link to a demonstration of a side plank. You can also do front planks... well, YOU can, I'm still really struggling with it. I can hold about 3 seconds so far. LOL!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=146
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! These are great!

And yes when i'm doing motions like that on hard surfaces I even have a yoga matt but it doens't really help much.

Thanks for these awesome exercises!

You might also try different types of floor exercises and a thicker mat. My coccyx sticks out oddly, so regular situps are really painful for me, but I can do bicycle crunches and crunches with my legs held up in the air just fine, and on a thick mat, I can do pike ups, tuck ups, and a host of other exercises.

The captains chair (aka Roman chair) is a really good ab exercise, but do NOT swing your legs, move them slowly, using momentum means you're not working your abs as hard. And watch out, like a lot of ab exercises, it's hard on your lower back.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba, so I have to come up with moves that works our abs as we dance. My main one is get into a squat position (play some good music) and move your hips back and forth. While doing that, crunch your tummy. Wow...this is hard to describe. BUT, go to youtube and look up Hip Hop abs. That will help.

If you can do planks...these are super awesome!!!!

And also look up Ab Vacuums. I do these standing up. You actually pull your abs in and hold them. But, look then up on Youtube. Some people can do them awesome (they look gross) mine are not as good, but they are getting better.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    bump for later

cable crunches work well. knee highs as well.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Standing up one can do: medicine ball rotations(figure 8s),barbell twists,kettle bell swing.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need to try these.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned JACKIE WARNER, ditto that. I do every leslie sansone ab tape she has. One of them uses a rubber belt, one uses the rubber band, the others are plain but the movements are specifically for the core section. That combined while doing her cardio feels great.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have memory problems, that sexy Israeli who had the television workout show, he has a very good ab workout where you stand only, using the small balls. bodies in motion guy I think
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Standing-Abdominal-Workout-34-Minute-Cardio-Core/ai/

I think they have a shorter standing ab workout too, and at least one crunch free ab workout.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba, so I have to come up with moves that works our abs as we dance. My main one is get into a squat position (play some good music) and move your hips back and forth. While doing that, crunch your tummy. Wow...this is hard to describe. BUT, go to youtube and look up Hip Hop abs. That will help.

And also look up Ab Vacuums. I do these standing up. You actually pull your abs in and hold them. But, look then up on Youtube. Some people can do them awesome (they look gross) mine are not as good, but they are getting better.

I have done the Hip Hop Abs workouts and even though I felt ridiculous doing them they really did help. The exercises are done mainly standing or in C sit positions. It uses a tilt, tuck, and tighten method. You tilt your shoulders, just like you would doing a crunch when you lift shoulders off the ground, you tuck your hips in like in a thrust, and you tighten your abs at the same time. You can do these also leaning side to side to work your obliques. It is really effective if you do them while holding 3 to 5 lb dumbbells close to your chest as you "crunch". I'm sure you can check it out on youtube to better see what I'm talking about. I know it worked for me because I did a class today where they did a lot of ab work and I thought I wouldn't make it, but I was able to do everything they did and at the same pace. I've had muscle damage to my abs due to surgeries and 2 c sections. I thought nice abs were just a dream for me but I'm beginning to believe they might be possible!!
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I have done the Hip Hop Abs workouts and even though I felt ridiculous doing them they really did help. The exercises are done mainly standing or in C sit positions. It uses a tilt, tuck, and tighten method. You tilt your shoulders, just like you would doing a crunch when you lift shoulders off the ground, you tuck your hips in like in a thrust, and you tighten your abs at the same time. You can do these also leaning side to side to work your obliques. It is really effective if you do them while holding 3 to 5 lb dumbbells close to your chest as you "crunch". I'm sure you can check it out on youtube to better see what I'm talking about. I know it worked for me because I did a class today where they did a lot of ab work and I thought I wouldn't make it, but I was able to do everything they did and at the same pace. I've had muscle damage to my abs due to surgeries and 2 c sections. I thought nice abs were just a dream for me but I'm beginning to believe they might be possible!!

^^this^^ I feel like me and Shaun T are best buds I see him so much lol!
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So i'm looking for an exercise that I can do for abs but standing up. I have a problem with my lumbosacral area as the bones don't align properly and the sacrum actually kind of creates a drop off and when I do normal crunches anything that as a rolling up down motion it creates ALOT of pain very untolerable and it is then quite irritated afterwards.

So I'm just wondeirng if any one had some suggestions so I could avoid this problem?

I'm going to be getting this checked out in a couple weeks by a doctor once I'm back home from school to recommend some options but until then suggestions please :)

Side Bends!! Love them!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cable crunches are a good alternative as a standing up exercise as well as hanging leg raises and dumbbell side bends.

^^yep
  • CristalDeal
    CristalDeal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Rockin Body by Shaun T does all his ab stuff standing up. Its only 10 minutes worth but works you good.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Suck in your abs and keep them tight. Breathe as if you are labor, on an exhale, hold and squeeze your abs really tight, hold for a 5 count. Repeat.