PMS :( Any tips or suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Give IN. Don't go totally crazy, but if you have to have chocolate, have some chocolate (and not one piece, whatever one serving is so you feel satisfied--usually it will be around 200 calories for a serving of dark chocolate).

Just keep at your exercise routine and account for the snack in your calories. And if you go over I read that women burn silghtly more at this time so that's why you might want an extra snack. I don't know if it's true but I have adopted it as the truth :)
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this question because I seem to be gaining and losing the same 5 lbs due to PMS cravings. I just got my period today which explains why last week I was eating like a monster. PMS starts 1 week prior for me, so a lot of damage can be done in that time. I agree that exercise helps, also having healthy snacks on hand. But also knowing when it's coming. I had no idea I was getting it as it's 5 days early. But at least I realize that I havent' just given up on my plan. Now I have to try to lose this weight that I gained last week
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would just try to plan the best you can to fit in some things that will satisfy your cravings!! I had horrible PMS last week and my cravings are always sweet!! Cookie dough greek yogurt.... 1/2 c. plain greek yogurt mixed with 3 tsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, 1 TBSP natural peanutbutter and 1 TBSP of mini semisweet chocolate chips. AMAZING for a sweet tooth fix. For salty and sweet, you could make some popcorn and throw in a couple of dark chocolate squares after it pops! I pop ours in olive oil on the stove (my 2.5 year old gets a huge kick out of the noise and she dances while I shake it on the stove lol) and then just throw in some sea salt and the chocolate squares and shake some more until all the pop corn is covered. I am sort of a period purist and think that we should just let our bodies do their own thing. For me, the week before my period starts I am ravenous but then once it starts I have to force myself to eat for a couple of days because my appetite just goes away. Mother nature knows best... she is balancing it out for me :)
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also ladies, try to eat a lot of protein! I aim for 120g a day or so. It really REALLY helps with cravings on both sides (salt and sweet!) and it is giving your body fuel it needs.
  • randee95
    randee95 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to eat something small to satisfy my cravings...I love the fiber one brownies (they are 90 calories and super delicious) or the 100 calorie packs of snack mix which satisfy my salty craving! I also like airpopped popcorn...there are these salt & pepper bags of popcorn that are about 160 calories that are delicious.
  • RalphthePutz
    RalphthePutz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found this thread! My sweet and salty appetite goes thru the roof when I'm pmsing.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I PMS. I tend to crave deep fried foods... I am sorry to say that I cannot offer advice... For me, when I crave something, there is no such thing as a substitute for me. I do my best to eat a small amount of it. If I go over my calories, I don't beat myself up. I have just realized that it's something I have to deal with every month, and that I will go over my calories that week. I can also look at it this way even when I go over, I am not eating anywhere close to the amount of calories that got me to the weight that I started from. Therefore, I am not terribly worried...

I did notice that some months are worse than others... January wasn't a terribly bad month. I only had one day that I went over my calories due to PMS... February was terrible though... I went over almost every day of my TOM... I was able to handle March a little better, but the worse I did was eat at Texas Roadhouse. I ate half an onion blossom and three rolls... :blushing:

1) Just try not to let it bother you to much. 2) Try not to go over board (if you can help it- I know sometimes I just lose self control). 3) Lastly, just keep going once your done PMSing. Don't give up all of your previously hard work for a week of screwed up hormones..lol Good luck...
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    I too am expeirencing this TODAY but I since starting have a learned to deal with my cravings.. I made brownies last night at one small corner and felt good. Don't beat yourself up your human.