Eat More to Weigh Less? I THINK NOT!

Options

Replies

• xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    I did that once. My butt hurt after :laugh:

EVERY girl I've ever dated has told me that. I think you guys just say that.
    It was nothing like you promised me it would be, Burt.

And OP, i got a food scale for 7 dollars at Walmart. Look for sales.

Sales? No such thing in Hawaii! lol I'll still look though.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    So basically you guys are telling me that I need to cook all the time, never eat out and invest in a scale?

All this and learn to be patient.

Btw, I eat out but make smart choices.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I did that once. My butt hurt after :laugh:

EVERY girl I've ever dated has told me that. I think you guys just say that.
    It was nothing like you promised me it would be, Burt.

And OP, i got a food scale for 7 dollars at Walmart. Look for sales.

Sales? No such thing in Hawaii! lol I'll still look though.

1st - Online shopping

2nd - Where in Hawaii are you shopping? Check out the flea market or something if you have to..lol.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You could just forget the technical crap and just eat when your body tells you to. I don't particularly believe the "eat more weigh less" stuff people on this site say.

you're too literal. In a way, eat more to weigh less agrees with eating when you are hungry.

I tried 1200. I was hungry. so i ATE MORE. and now I weigh less. How can you disagree with that??

How in the world does that agree with eating when you're hungry? Maybe some people just don't eat a lot and they are okay on 1200 calories a day? I'm sure everyone doesn't eat the exact same things every day, so that number can change. That's why I say just eat when you get hungry. You ate more, and you lost weight, that's great. But, shocker, not everyone is you.

If you only ate when you are hungry, why are you here with weight to lose? Do you honestly think that we all know how to "listen" to our bodies properly? There are plenty of overweight people out there that under eat consistently and it keeps their metabolisms not functioning properly.

Your assuming I'm done, and I don't have other crap I deal with and I'm perfect. Not the case. Are you looking to argue with me? Because I'm not trying to make anyone agree with me. I put my opinion on here and now I'm getting attacked (as usual) because people think because I don't do what they do I'm wrong. I'm not arguing with you. Disagree with me, fine, but I really don't give a rats butt what you have to say about it. Everyone is different and different things work for different people.

I netted way less than 1200 calories for several years. I lost a ton of weight at first and when I couldn't keep up with my crazy exercise schedule all of the weight came back on. I tried again and again - all these diet books, even nutritionists I went to see put me on 1200-1500 calories a day without even considering my exercise - I burned over 800 calories in kickboxing tonight. I was starving all the time. No one could help me or figure out what was wrong. I was way undereating, messed up my metabolism and it has taken me years to get this back on track. Trust me, you want to eat TDEE - 20%. I am convinced this is why so many people end up gaining after they lose. They screw up their metabolisms on way too low calorie diets. But that's just my 2 cents.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This makes no sense.

If your TDEE is truly 2400 then you would lose weight eating 1680 or 1200
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Your food journal doesn't match your story.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

It's okay. This whole thread is making my head spin.

"Eating more didn't work. I have no idea how much I actually ate, but I'm going to blame eating more anyway."

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

This sums everything up for me as well.

OP- I'm going to reiterate what's been said before. Log everything. If you can't find it in the database, add it. Or guess as a worst case situation. You're probably eating more than you think. I'm a huge proponent of activity trackers and use a FitBit, but would probably invest in a BodyMedia armband were I to drop another $100 on a thing. Getting a scale and measuring cups/ spoons is a good thing.

I don't know if you realise how combative you're coming across. You asked for help and people are trying to do that, but you're arguing every bit of it. I don't agree with all of the advice here, but it's all been respectful and in the nature of being useful. So breathe. :)

EDIT- And eat out, just be a little proactive about what you're eating. If you tend to go to chain restaurants, they usually have nutrition info on their site.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Who updated it?
  • belligerent599
    Options
    If you don't make your weight requirement, they put you in BCP, correct? (or do they only do that for Marines? Sorry, not as familiar with the Navy) See if your base fitness center has a trainer or nutritionist you can work with before the weigh-in, because they probably have people in your position all the time.

Another thought... How much sleep are you getting? I knew a Marine who was having trouble being within regs. He worked out all the time, ate right, tried to diet...his BF kept going up. His home life was stressful but not only that, turns out he actually had sleep apnea which was keeping him from getting proper amounts of uninterrupted sleep...which can contribute to weight gain and other metabolic problems.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You eat more to lose fat.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I ate around 1920 on days I worked out. And no, I'm not new to weight training; I started back up after a while of not doing it though. And I've been eating like this for maybe 5 weeks now? Somewhere around there.
    TDEE- 20% would be 1920. You should net 1920, so if you work out, eat back those calories. Otherwise you are netting too low.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    So basically you guys are telling me that I need to cook all the time, never eat out and invest in a scale?

Oh for... no. Prepare your own meals when possible - and log everything you eat - and also enjoy eating out - and log everything you eat.

And yes, invest in a scale - so you can ACCURATELY log everything you prepare at home. It's twenty bucks.

Key words: (1) LOG (2) ACCURATELY.

Right now you have NO idea what you're actually eating. You can argue all you want, but until you do actually know your intake, you can't make any conclusions about the actual success or failure of your current plan, nor will you be able to make sensible adjustments to that plan if you find you're not getting the results you want.

Quit with the excuses and just DO it.

This. x 100. Here's a video on measuring (especially calorie dense foods) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've never heard so many excuses from one person in my entire life.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

I wouldn't have had so many but I've got a cold and have had some gastrointestinal distress this morning.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Threads like this are fodder for the Chit Chat, Fun & Games board to parody.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Threads like this are fodder for the Chit Chat, Fun & Games board to parody.

tumblr_mdpjbnK8pL1ql68mpo1_500.gif
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Two weeks? How about eating more like 1800 for a month. You are still undereating. And your body doesn't turn on a dime. You've been undereating for so long, you really SHOULD eat at Maintenance for a month and then drop back down to 1800. You need a good reset.

Don't blame the tool. It's the operator.

"Why won't my car run?" -

"Did you try putting gas in it?"

agree, heck one of the nutritionist I used work with says it can be months at eating at maintnence before the metabolism recovers, and until it does that weight will not go anywhere.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I ate around 1920 on days I worked out. And no, I'm not new to weight training; I started back up after a while of not doing it though. And I've been eating like this for maybe 5 weeks now? Somewhere around there.
    TDEE- 20% would be 1920. You should net 1920, so if you work out, eat back those calories. Otherwise you are netting too low.

Negative. You don't eat back exercise calories with the TDEE-20% method.

ETA: Unless she calculated hers at sedentary, then she would.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

Negative. You don't eat back exercise calories with the TDEE-20% method.

ETA: Unless she calculated hers at sedentary, then she would.

Concer - if she did calc @ sedentary, then TDEE would be a misnomer.