Got over my fears

Options
bbmkr3
bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
So I finally got up the nerve to join a gym! There is only so much you can do at home on a treadmill and walking the neighbor hood. Now don't get me wrong, by doing what I have been doing I have lost 34 pounds BUT I want to take it to another level.

Some of you might say that 34 pounds is not a lot but I am 43 and only 5'2" and that 34 pounds makes a big difference. Considering the fact that I work from home on the computer and have or should say had no physical activity at all in my life the weight crept up on me without me realizing it and I started to "feel" the effects of it all.

I am not very social, more of an introvert and the thought of the gym was VERY intimidating! A friend of mine told me about the Planet Fitness that had just opened up locally and how scary cheap it was, so I checked into it and ended up signing up.

Part of what sealed the deal for me was the upgraded member perks with the free tanning. It being spring with summer soon to follow, I couldn't pass that up. Because this summer I have decided to show off my hard work and bought a new bathing suit, no more swimming in shorts and tanks this year.

I still feel a little wary of the weight machines, I will have to work my way up to that and try to fit in a trainer in my schedule to figure them all out. I did get to try for the first time an eliptical and a bike which gave me a nice little change of scenery and ended my trip by treating myself to a tan session.

So here's to overcoming my fears and becoming a better healthier me!

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I found the elliptical works best for me for calorie burning in a given ammount of time.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Well Done You, keep it up..
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well done! Think of gym as your own personal space and time and focus on your goals - don't worry about those around you - they don't count!

A trainer is the way to go, just until you know how to use the machines properly. Also to learn proper form with free weights.

After that, you can find hundreds of good workout programs on the internet, and then you will really enjoy going to gym, blocking out everyone else, and just having fun with your own workout. The rewards of adding muscle tone to your slimmer body will blow your mind :laugh:

ENJOY !!!
  • cassnh
    cassnh Posts: 3
    Options
    Great! the next step to add to the good job you're doing!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    34 pounds IS a lot! Don't ever say it isn't. :) On MFP, every pound lost is a victory.

I'm glad you enjoy PF. I used to go there, but our local club got way too crowded. I got tired of waiting for machines. I really liked it before that, though. The elliptical makes me want to die, but it's a great burn. :)
  • julez1012
    Options
    Well done you. 34 pounds is a massive amount to lose. I am also 5'2" and I am totally aware of what an impact weight loss makes to your well being.

I am attending our local gym but as yet no offers of a tan.. can only hope. They do have a great wobbling machine which shakes you until your legs go numb - maybe that will help me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!