Your Celebrity Encounter

Options
squatsandlipgloss
squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
I used to travel all over Europe to meet my favorite celebrities. I met tons and tons of them. I befriended a couple of local bands and met some of the biggest stars.

But the craziest (and most fun) stories are the ones that involve Backstreet Boys. I used to be a HUGE fan when I was little but it wasn't until 2007/2008 that me and a couple of friends would start following them around Europe. We would get in the car, literally follow their tour buses and stay at the same hotels (yeah, lots of money was spent...). We met them all the time, we would hang out with them at bars, hotel, and they knew our names, recognized us in the audience at concerts and at one point we befriended one of them. Me and my friend went shopping with him (and his bodyguard), we'd go out for lunch and diner and bars for a drink (yeah he paid for our food. Which was quite awkward because we felt bad). Their security would get me and my friends in sound checks and in hotels. It was a crazy, fun time. These stories are always fun to tell when I make a new friend. And no, we were NOT groupies, trust me, you can also befriend someone in a big boyband without being a slut.

Do you all have any stories about meeting a celebrity or even befriending one?

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    (Deleted)
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    Congrats. You win. Here's your award.

IMG_6753-name-dropper.jpg

lol i knew this was coming ;) Just didn't expect it so early on! Where's my trophy, though?

ETA: why'd you delete it? Awards are not revocable!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no trophy.

I came back to delete my post before it was seen. Thought I was being too petty. Oh well. Damage done. Apologies sent.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The most interesting person I met was the Queen, we were at a graduation parade for the R.A.F and I was about 10, I handed her a small bunch of flowers and she said, in her very posh, soft tone "Do you live around here?" my mouth dropped to the floor I had the dumbest expression on my face and blurted out "Er, no! I live in Hibaldstow!" (a tiny little village that she would have never heard of) and she smiled and said "Oh how lovely!"

I was so embarrassed!! LOL
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    Sorry, no trophy.

I came back to delete my post before it was seen. Thought I was being too petty. Oh well. Damage done. Apologies sent.

It was petty. But I can handle it ;) Apology accepted.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    The most interesting person I met was the Queen, we were at a graduation parade for the R.A.F and I was about 10, I handed her a small bunch of flowers and she said, in her very posh, soft tone "Do you live around here?" my mouth dropped to the floor I had the dumbest expression on my face and blurted out "Er, no! I live in Hibaldstow!" (a tiny little village that she would have never heard of) and she smiled and said "Oh how lovely!"

I was so embarrassed!! LOL

At first I read "Queen" instead of the "the Queen". But that's pretty cool! I think if I'd meet someone big as a child, I'd act like a total fool. You handled it pretty well
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my husband waved at roy hodgson when we saw him at West Brom and he waved back.... (thats one for uk peeps!)
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I was lucky as a kid growing up, my dad was a former NFL player so I've met a bunch of people. I've met and known the likes of Johnny Unitas,Lenny Moore, Art Donovan, I've met Ray Lewis and I went to Steve McNair's retirement party his drink of choice was Cuervo gold, I ran into A-Rod at a bar in Baltimore once that was shocking. My favorite person of all time that I met was Ken Griffey Jr and I was lucky enough to do that on the field at Fenway Park.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here from South Africa? If so, my cousin is Stewart Irving from Ballyhoo.... *insert sad cheesy grin* LOL!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    People used to think my dad was Donald Sutherland ALL THE TIME. Especially at airports for some reason. I guess people are on the lookout there. Some lady even once asked ME to go get his autograph for her, since I obviously seemed to know him. :tongue: So does it count if people THINK you are having a celebrity encounter? :laugh:
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    People used to think my dad was Donald Sutherland ALL THE TIME. Especially at airports for some reason. I guess people are on the lookout there. Some lady even once asked ME to go get his autograph for her, since I obviously seemed to know him. :tongue: So does it count if people THINK you are having a celebrity encounter? :laugh:

That is hilarious! You ever played along with it?

I one time had someone come up to me asking for an autograph (I was simply wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap - in summer). I was so confused, so I didn't respond and walked on. To this day I really wonder who she thought I was and especially why.
  • mimo369
    mimo369 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work for Jim James' (My morning Jacket) dad. See the band around all the time.

Shook Will Smith's hand at a concert. Funny, Jada Pinkett Smith was playing in a metal band called Wicked Wisdom.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    I used to hang out with Kid Rock before he was a Huge star. I still see Uncle Kracker at the gym and know each other by name since I look like him. People approach me all the time thinking I'm him.