Afraid to go back to the gym? :/

Options
I haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. I feel like if I go, I'll be judged by the people who would normally see me there every day. I know I'm going to be asked "Where have you been?". The truth is that I've been lazy, and I've been eating junk all month. I am so far off the healthy path right now, it's not funny. Someone please help me regain my focus, because I have definitely lost it. Thank you. If you've been in this situation, please share and let me know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's totally what happens - if I don't see someone for a couple of weeks I spend that time gossiping with all the other regulars about how they must be totally slacking, and then we all point and giggle behind their back if they ever do come back.

Oh, wait, no, nobody does that.

Just go and get it over with and you'll feel a million times better, because not only will you be at the gym, you'll have gotten rid of a pointless fear. If anyone says anything (which they won't), tell them you were a contestant on a reality show but you can't talk about it because of the confidentiality agreement you signed.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Maybe go a few times at an unusual time. Just to get yourself back in.
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i was religiously going to the gym from march of last year until the week of christmas, and was down 40lbs. I took christmas through new years off with it being the holidays and not being home (eating mom's homecooking and some friends southern homecooking) i was going to start back up at the beginning of the year. Well my year started with the flu, which left me out of the gym for about 2 weeks, then when i felt better i fainted at home and ended up with a concussion which left me gymless for a month (eating my bf's deliciously unhealthy cooking since i wasn't able to cook for myself) i ended up gaining almost 15lbs back. Just started back at the gym in march, had to take it slow with having the concussion and not being there for 2 mos, but now i'm back to where i was before the holidays just need to lose the weight now. i know the situations of not going are different but don't let people asking where you've been deter you from going back, they'll be happy you jumped back on the saddle again.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    3 weeks? Try, I couldn't remember the last time I went to the gym. HAHA....even gave me a discount when I came back! Just get back in there!!! Everyone is there for the same purpose:)

OR you could be the girl that never goes back? Not cool ....:)
  • backincontrol
    backincontrol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Its funny you posted this today. I am joining the gym today and have been feeling the same way. The last time I joined a gym I sat in the parking lot for close to 20 minutes just building up the confidence. People would never imagine that as I convey lots of confidence professionally. I called my baby brother (I dont confide in him on almost anything) and he told me to get out of the car and get on the treadmill. Most people there are there for the same reason to get in shape or to stay in shape. There are some that maybe have other motivation but that cannot concern you. That is on them and their own insecurities. I worked with a woman that was so painfully insecure she did make comments and mention everyone's appearance. I use to walk away upset but the reality is I was heavier and not in as good of shape but man I was happier with myself than she ever could be. That's on her, that's on those people at the gym . So you go girl, you go and get your workout on. I'll think of you as I am wheezing on the treadmill tonight. Best of luck!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we overestimate our importance to other people.

I had a month out. Nobody noticed when I went back. I noticed that my fitness hasn't suffered from this, either.

Just go back. Most people won't notice. The guy on reception who knows me by name noticed, but only to say hello, not complain about me being a slacker.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    it'll just be harder the longer you wait. go now, get back on the track and stop with the excuses :3 it's the only way.
    others, if they'd notice at all, will probably be happy to see you back again.
  • belligerent599
    Options
    Just go. You could have been on vacation, shooting a movie, on a humanitarian mission, etc the last three weeks for all they know. If anybody asks you where you were (they won't, but if they do), tell them that it's classified information and smile mysteriously (or laugh like a super villain). Then they'll just think you're a weirdo and go back to leaving you alone. Stuff like this always works for me!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If they ask you just answer a question with a question. If they say "where have you been" you just say "where have you been also have not seen you lately". They say "I been here at the gym the whole time" and you say "I have been here too, thats strange maybe because I have been going at different times."
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? This is the perfect time for some excitement. Tell them you were recruited by the CIA to help find a North Korean mole who was planning to take down the Pentagon and you were in deep under cover and they forbid you from going to the gym as that might blow your cover. You can then smile and say - thank goodness for all that exercise - not sure I would have survived that run through the mountains after they blew up my car to get the news about the secret station and the hidden nukes. Now that I'm back, I need to keep conditioning only because they could call me back in the future - I'm the backup plan for national security. Smile widely.

After they've giggled - just say - ok...I admit it. I've been taking some downtime to get some things prioritized but I'm back now. What did I miss?

No one notices...but it'll be fun to have some sort of wacky story which of course is totally unbelievable and may cause some laughing.
  • marksvizz
    marksvizz Posts: 33
    Options
    We'll who are you going to the gym for? Who cares what anyone thinks, it's obvious to me that it bothers you more than any one else! You just have to pick yourself up and go to the gym and you are going to feel so much better!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we overestimate our importance to other people.

I had a month out. Nobody noticed when I went back. I noticed that my fitness hasn't suffered from this, either.

Just go back. Most people won't notice. The guy on reception who knows me by name noticed, but only to say hello, not complain about me being a slacker.

^^ This. It's all about you. Seriously. You go to the gym for you and not for others. And, if on the off chance someone does notice, just smile, laugh and say "yea, I've been out." That's it. No big deal.

Now go and be fabulous!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a gym for 11 yr olds.
    Seriously though, unless these ppl are your friends, do you really think they noticed or care?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with everyone else that it's not something to worry about. By and large, I doubt anyone noticed but you! I was out for about a month until I went back last week. The only person who had noticed that I was gone, after attending religiously for months, was one of the body pump instructors, who commented on my return when we were chatting. And you know what? It just felt awesome that she had noticed how committed and dedicated I had been before, and it gave me extra motivation to get back into my groove.
  • hollyannem
    Options
    I would just smile and say 'Busy'! if anyone asked me where I had been. If they move on to 'Busy doing WHAT?' then they are a person with insufficient sensibilty about boundaries and must be avoided in the future.

Or look sophisticated and say 'Europe', dahling..... or something, lol. If you choose this option, you must of course know something ABOUT Europe. Or you could say you just must rush to the nearest machine because it has been WEEKS, and talk later, kiss kiss, trill fingers and run away.

I belong to two gyms, one is very impersonal and 24 hour, and I rarely see the same person in there twice. I could drop dead in my driveway and they would remain blissfully unaware!

But one is more personal, and they do say how are you, etc. They haven't asked me where I have been if I don't go for a few days though.

I do feel a little bit funny because I stopped going to the step class!! I hate step class! However, the teacher was a real sweet young lady, so sometimes I feel a twinge of guilt when I say hi or see her!! Even though it wasn't personal. Like her, just hate step.

So just go! Wear a ski mask if you must, but maybe you will gain enough endorphins to stop caring if anyone noticed you were slacking!
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    who cares what others think!!! just go, you'll feel much better afterwards :D
  • brittroady0
    brittroady0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What's your other option? Never go back?

No way, girl!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    **** em, if they ask say you were trying out another gym ,or you were running outside on your own, don't let that stop you from doing what you want and that is the best part of being a grownup , i don't give a rats *kitten* what other people think !!!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to the gym over the entire holiday season. No one said a word to me when I went back. Not that I expected them to, anyway. Just go! :)
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! :wink:

By getting your first trip back done, it will be over quickly, like ripping off a bandaid! It's really hard to get back into the swing of things after a few weeks off. If anyone does say anything, it should be "Good to see you back!" Anything negative has no place in a gym. Everyone's there for a common cause.

Good luck :smile: