Something isn't right and I'm burnt out logging

Options
Recently I posted on my profile that I was not going to log food for a while because my husband said I was obsessing over it too much and stressing myself out. I think he was right.

When I started on MFP my trainer had me on a 1200 calorie diet with every Saturday a free day to eat up to 3500 calories, but no more than that -working out 3 x a week ( mon-we'd-fri). 40 min weights and 20 min cardio. I went from 146 to 133. But then I plateaued after 3 months. I was hungry. Tired and my hair was falling out. Then I found MFP and after a few weeks came across the road map to life. I upped my calories to 1500, then 1800. I also decided to train for fitness competition. So I worked with my macros and kept on chugging working out 5-6 times a week. Although I understand I will gain muscle and lose fat, I have gained 10 pounds but have noticed an increase in my waist size by an inch and a half, and my clothes are fitting a wee bit tight. I don't understand the madness of it all and have become quite stressed about it.

Now I know people hate when you don't put your stats so here they are:

38 years old
5' tall exactly
Current weight 143 pounds today 4/5/13
28.6% body fat
TEDEE calculated 2100
BMR 1376
BMI 1785
I wear a size 3 in juniors but I'm pretty thick and I fell about 18 lbs over weight for my height.

My question is.... What now.? My current plan is to cut back to 1500 and work out 3times a week again.opinions and advice are welcome.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Do you keep track of your macros? I find that keeping my protein and carbs equal is what is best for my diet.... although I don't always follow it. LOL
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    are you eating 1800 or netting 1800?
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How active are you other than working out? What kind of strength training routine are you doing?

Honestly, it does sound like you've gained some fat. Assuming you're tracking everything correctly- you're doing everything right by the math, but your body has decided to be stubborn and ignore the math and do it's own damn thing. Have you considered going to a nutritionist?

Alternatively, if you feel like you want to stop tracking calories or spend a while trying to maintain your current weight, that'd probably be good for you. There's a HUGE psychological portion to loosing weight that people don't like to talk about, but it's nearly impossible to lose weight and stay healthy if you're not in the right mindset for it. Take some time to work on making yourself happy, then come back to the body thing.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Put down the axe, logging is hard work, take your time and burn some logs :glasses:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Weight for your height is extremely misleading. What is your BF % goal? Once you have determined this, you need to adjust your macros to a lower fat diet. Abs are made in the kitchen....but also aided with weight lifting.

Also, keep in mind, that you are a blessed woman...your carriage will amount for the majority of your BF%.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well TDEE less 20% for you would be 2100 minus 420 or 1680.................maybe that 1700 # is too high hence the gain in weight and in the clothes being too tight - just my thought..................
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    According to the numbers you mentioned. You will be eating at 600 deficit per day which is 4200 calorie deficit per week aka 1.2 lbs loss. That rate is very good in my opinion.

Don't eat below 100g of proteins, 55-60g of fats and fill the rest with carbs.

But what did you use to calculate your TDEE?

Try to double check using this calculator http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You're not too far off. Typical BF% for a woman is 35% but you should reach for about 25%. What does your doctor say? Are you sure you're not getting a little too obsessed with the numbers and ignoring the fact that you're actually at a healthy weight?

I would try to maintain for a while... then maybe start up again if you feel you still have some weight to lose.. but honestly I am 27, 5'2 and my doc told me to shoot for 140-145# for a healthy weight. Sounds like you're already there. LOVE YOURSELF. I would die to be in a size 3 lol
  • kaycepo
    kaycepo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump (in the same boat)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying a full diet break.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

You bring your calories up to maintenance levels (and do some other adjustments to macros, as described at that link) for two weeks. This should help with the psychological burnout. It is also supposed to reset your endocrine system so your leptin/ghrelin/cortisol levels are at a more tolerable level.

Then you can reevaluate what a maintainable fat loss protocol is for you.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    According to the numbers you mentioned. You will be eating at 600 deficit per day which is 4200 calorie deficit per week aka 1.2 lbs loss. That rate is very good in my opinion.

^^This
    Plus remember if you are eating more you have to cut that cheat day you were eating out.. As I am guessing your trainer gave you that day to pig out cause he cut your calories so much during the week.. Eat the same amount of calories everyday or a bit more on the weekends but not 1000+ more calories since you don't have a huge deficit anymore.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    are you eating 1800 or netting 1800?
    1 eat 1800 but burn about 450 calories working out so my net is around 1350
  • imchicbad
    Options

The one from the road map to life
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 2 and started on here 2 months ago.start weight 134, current weight 124 and my stomach still sticks out further than by boobs!(too much info i know!) so still a bit to go.

I have achieved this by having 1200 cals a day and eating exercise calories on top of these most of the time.
    I was not really doing any regular exercise until the last few weeks.
    I found it comfortable to find a routine for eating and exercise but so did my body!. have had to mix it up a bit to keep losing weight .

Sooooo have been getting creative with meals and have started 30 day shred 6 days ago! its reallt tough but just for 20 mins so I can push through.
    Also been rubbish at push ups in the past so am following onehundredpushups too, just finished week 3.

For me the key is to keep my body guessing a bit.
    And ice lollies make a great treat

Good luck!
  • imchicbad
    Options

I stopped cheat day last year lol.

^^This
    Plus remember if you are eating more you have to cut that cheat day you were eating out.. As I am guessing your trainer gave you that day to pig out cause he cut your calories so much during the week.. Eat the same amount of calories everyday or a bit more on the weekends but not 1000+ more calories since you don't have a huge deficit anymore.
  • imchicbad
    Options

Haven't done cheat day since last year.
    I stopped cheat day last year lol.

^^This
    I haven't done cheat day since last year
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options

The one from the road map to life

Use the one i mentioned above although all these calculators are just to give an estimated numbers.
    So try to stick to your plan for 2-3 weeks and track your weight and after that you can know if you were eating too much or too little.