Need advice: trying to get my mom in shape

Options
My mom has been physically inactive for about 15 years now. By that I mean, she goes to work and comes home and watches TV, goes to bed, repeats. Weekends may include minor walking but that's it. She's about 5'5 and I'm assuming close or possibly over 200lbs. Very small framed with tiny arms and legs but lots of fat in her mid section. Her diet isn't horrible and in fact I've seen her go without enough food throughout the day. However she does drink Diet Coke and has Fast food maybe once a week. But truly it's the complete lack of movement that I think is her downfall.

She is an excuse maker and that will be my biggest obstacle with her. Just today I was talking to her about the classes I take at my gym (yoga,pilates, taichi, etc. ) all low impact and she seems interested as she's always talking about getting in shape. However nothing ever comes from it. So I told her that my gym has a 7day free trial and she said she would go to these classes! GOOD! I got the foot in the door but now what?! I need my mom to live a long and healthy life but with her high blood pressure and inactivity that won't happen.

Another issue is that if she does join it's $40 a month and she already is making excuses about how my dad wouldn't go for that... however these are the same two people that go and get their biweekly mani and pedis. I want to shake her sometimes. Yes money is tight for them but they also spend money on things that are just ridiculous.

So in conclusion, and I'm sure I've left out a lot, but how can I make my mom take more interest in her health and well being and learn to replace some luxuries for a better life? Also I need to add that I can be there for everyone of her workouts bc I'm sure she wouldn't go if I wasn't there.

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's not your job to do it.

If she chooses to, then she'll succeed. If not, it's her choice.
  • surfbabe
    surfbabe Posts: 79
    Options

I understand what you are saying but It's really hard to watch her gain weight steadily and not do anything about it. And since I have her compliance with trying the gym out, I'd like to have advice to keep her there and not a " don't worry about it/ not your problem" attitude.
  • lsulli2004
    lsulli2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You typically feel much better once you start moving, it's the starting that is the hardest. My suggestion would be to try to make her see/feel the difference. Get her wanting to continue.

I will say, she won't commit until SHE is ready. If she hasn't reached that point, it won't happen. I feel your pain though. I have a very sedentary, alcoholic mother. It's hard to watch, and even harder to not do anything about it. Sometimes you just have to come to the conclusion that it's pointless to beat a dead horse.

Good luck! I hope it goes well!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

All you can do is try to spark a fire. It is up to your mom to fan those flames. You need to find out what interests she had before that might be something she likes again. Did she run/bike/swim/hike/whatever when younger? If she liked dancing try a zumba class. A gym might be expensive but if it offers lots of classes that would off-set it. Otherwise maybe try a rec center or some other place where you just pay for the class. At this point getting her interested in just 1 activity would be a good goal and sometimes a gym can be overwhelming for some. Also plan some mother/daughter outings. Get her out shopping and walking around a store. Tell her you would like to talk with her but you are short on time because you have to get your steps in at the park and see if she will join you. You can't force her to be more active but maybe you can find common interests that get you moving.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd try Zumba. It's so fun. As an older mother myself, it's what got me off the couch. On recommendation from my daughter. :flowerforyou:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I understand what you are saying but It's really hard to watch her gain weight steadily and not do anything about it. And since I have her compliance with trying the gym out, I'd like to have advice to keep her there and not a " don't worry about it/ not your problem" attitude.

Would you rather I promise you she'll magically fall into line if you just say the right thing?

Fact is that if she prefers having nice nails to exercise and eating well, all you'll do is piss her off and make it even less likely that she'll never try anything you suggest again.

If she told you to eat more and lay on the couch because she likes doing it, would you? Of course not.

So it's not your place to expect to be able to make her want it. She has to. Not you. When she is ready, if she is ready, then by all means be supportive. But you can't take responsibility for a grown woman's choices whether you approve of them or not. They're her choices to make, not yours.

Getting annoyed with someone who's actually trying to help you not make a mistake that could haunt you forever ('what if I'd been more forceful, what if I'd not annoyed her, what if...?') really isn't going to help you or your mother, no matter how well intentioned you are.
  • surfbabe
    Options

Would you rather I promise you she'll magically fall into line if you just say the right thing?

Fact is that if she prefers having nice nails to exercise and eating well, all you'll do is piss her off and make it even less likely that she'll never try anything you suggest again.

If she told you to eat more and lay on the couch because she likes doing it, would you? Of course not.

So it's not your place to expect to be able to make her want it. She has to. Not you. When she is ready, if she is ready, then by all means be supportive. But you can't take responsibility for a grown woman's choices whether you approve of them or not. They're her choices to make, not yours.

Getting annoyed with someone who's actually trying to help you not make a mistake that could haunt you forever ('what if I'd been more forceful, what if I'd not annoyed her, what if...?') really isn't going to help you or your mother, no matter how well intentioned you are.

I wasn't annoyed by your post at all. I simply stated that I was looking for advice to keep her in the gym. Obviously I know I can't control her actions, I don't need you to tell me that. Also this is my mom, who I have a great relationship with, she isn't going to get "pissed off" or shun me for helping her out. I think you should tone it down a bit. ;)
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I know it's hard to watch. But there's nothing you can do for her if she doesn't want to do it for herself.
  • surfbabe
    Options
    I'd try Zumba. It's so fun. As an older mother myself, it's what got me off the couch. On recommendation from my daughter. :flowerforyou:

Great idea!
  • surfbabe
    Options
    At this point getting her interested in just 1 activity would be a good goal and sometimes a gym can be overwhelming for some.

I think this might be the ticket. Thank you!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My mom was wanting to get in shape, so it was a bit easier for me to help her. I got her set up with MFP and bought her a Fitbit. The Fitbit has really motivated her to get out and move around.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Did she ask you specifically to create a diet and exercise plan to help her get in shape?

If not, leave her the hell alone. She is an adult and can choose how to spend her time and money, and is also the only one who needs to make decisions about her health.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about if there is one activity she really enjoys, then focus on that. The gym I go to, the Zumba classes are filled with us "Older" types, who are not in shape, some where t-shirts and sweat pants - I think that's a good case where someone who hasnt been active for a bit, feels less threatened. What else does she like to do? I love to Garden and it burns a lot of calories. Baby steps but every step is one in the right direction. You might not be able to get the horse to drink the water but if you dont lead her there you may never know. Kudos to you for the effort.
  • surfbabe
    Options
    You typically feel much better once you start moving, it's the starting that is the hardest. My suggestion would be to try to make her see/feel the difference. Get her wanting to continue.

Oh yeah! I'm wondering if I got a trainer to measure her body fat % at the beginning and then again after, if she joins, a month to see how she's improving, if that would help. Let her be her own motivation so to speak.

Thank you!
  • dswilborn
    dswilborn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If there is a class with women her age, she might be more inclined to stick to it. The social aspect of making friends and getting together each week is often more compelling than doing something because it's "good for you".

Check out any local recreation classes - even though she's not a senior, they sometimes have gentler classes for older adults that might be easier for her to start out with. Or maybe something through a swimming center - water aerobics is gentle and fun.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I started putting my mom's dinner on top of the remote-controlled Roomba and making her chase it for a while.

She's down five pounds!
  • surfbabe
    Options
    Did she ask you specifically to create a diet and exercise plan to help her get in shape?

If not, leave her the hell alone. She is an adult and can choose how to spend her time and money, and is also the only one who needs to make decisions about her health.

She is constantly complaining about her weight and is open for me to help. I'm asking for motivation help. Thanks!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I started putting my mom's dinner on top of the remote-controlled Roomba and making her chase it for a while.

She's down five pounds!

God, I love you.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You can't. Simply put... she is an adult, she needs to make this decision on her own. You can encourage but thats are far as it goes on your end.
  • surfbabe
    Options
    I agree with the comment about if there is one activity she really enjoys, then focus on that. The gym I go to, the Zumba classes are filled with us "Older" types, who are not in shape, some where t-shirts and sweat pants - I think that's a good case where someone who hasnt been active for a bit, feels less threatened.

This is perfect!