When You've Got No Money...

Options
When you have very little money for groceries on a given week, what foods do you buy that can stretch and keep you full?

I literally have maybe 25 bucks for groceries this week. I know I need to buy chicken. Other than that, I'm lost.

A few things I already have in my arsenal:

Romaine lettuce
Salsa
Pasta & sauce
Black beans
Shredded cheeses
A few containers of yogurt
1/2 gallon of milk

That's about it that I can think of.

Replies

• sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a pretty cheap and healthy product. It ranges from .89-1.00 a can.
    Also, oatmeal is amazing! Try and stay away from the pre packaged ones though, nothing but sugar there.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Shop sales... and alot of times you can get fruits/veggies super cheap at the farmers market. I only buy fruits/veggies in very small quantities (so I have to go to the store twice/week) to make sure they don't go bad before I use them.

It's the time of year for berries to be on sale... freeze them if you can't use them quickly enough. Oranges are typically only 50 cent each. Also, you can usually pick up a bag of mixed apples/oranges for between 2.50-5.00

Thought of growing your own veggies? Tomato plants are pretty easy to grow inpots on a balcony if you live in an apt or something.

Also, you can get a big tub of yogurt for usually 2-3.00 which is cheaper than the individual ones.
  • sweetpea03b
    Options
    I just thought of these snack bars that my sister makes...

you need: 3 bananas (SUPER CHEAP), 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 cups oats (the kind you get in the big tub - not instant), 1/2 cup chocolate chips (you could sub raisins or blueberries though). Smush bananas and combine all ingredients - "Smush" into a 9x9 greased pan bake 350 til brown. Low in calories and you can cut them up and put them in baggies to eat all week.
  • isitsororo
    isitsororo Posts: 116
    Options
    Beans, which you have, and rice. I wouldn't waste a ton of your money on fresh produce, it's not going to be as filling as beans, rice, lentils. Make a lentil, bean, and canned tomato stew or something (some sort of cheap veggie chili like soup), that will last a while.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When you have very little money for groceries on a given week, what foods do you buy that can stretch and keep you full?

I literally have maybe 25 bucks for groceries this week. I know I need to buy chicken. Other than that, I'm lost.

A few things I already have in my arsenal:

Romaine lettuce
    Salsa
    Pasta & sauce
    Black beans
    Shredded cheeses
    A few containers of yogurt
    1/2 gallon of milk

That's about it that I can think of.

Eggs
    Whole chickens
    frozen veggies
    rice

and don't by shredded cheese which is more expensive than blocks of cheese
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Beans, which you have, and rice. I wouldn't waste a ton of your money on fresh produce, it's not going to be as filling as beans, rice, lentils. Make a lentil, bean, and canned tomato stew or something (some sort of cheap veggie chili like soup), that will last a while.

Oh yes, I do have a new bag of brown rice as well.

So I guess I have some stuff to work with here, I can do chicken and salsa one night, pasta and sauce one night, make a mexican chicken dish with beans another night... And of course, make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. I think I also have a packet of taco seasoning so if I got a pound of green beef I could do a taco salad. I have the lettuce and cheese.
  • sweetpea03b
    Options

They won't keep you full for hours but strawberries are a good source of fiber which is filling and blueberries are a superfood so worth the money for the benefits.

Green beans - you can always find these on sale and they are a super food as well. And, you can eat a ton of them with virtually no calories (15/serving).

Do you have an Aldi in your town? They have really good prices on whole foods.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

They won't keep you full for hours but strawberries are a good source of fiber which is filling and blueberries are a superfood so worth the money for the benefits.

Green beans - you can always find these on sale and they are a super food as well. And, you can eat a ton of them with virtually no calories (15/serving).

Do you have an Aldi in your town? They have really good prices on whole foods.

I don't! :(
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cucumbers, bananas
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The big tubs of yogurts are typically cheaper than the individual ones, and blocks of cheese are cheaper than bags of shredded cheese.

Carrots, celery, and cucumbers are relatively cheap and good snack food. Sometimes I add granola to my yogurt to make it more filling. I also try to see if they have any manager's special meat (at its sell by date) and freeze it for future use.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    college student here and I rarely eat in the dining hall. Most of the food in my diary I have made only using a microwave to cook things. I spend around 75-100 a month and eat three meals a day as well as 2-3 snacks a day. My biggest atip get a newspaper (sundays) or grab on from someone else and save the couple dollars. This will be filled with coupons for basic things like pasta, sauces, meat, and dairy items. The money I save there allows me to by more fresh items. Take a look at my diary for some ideas.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd say buy in bulk rather than pre-cut options. EX: Buy a brick of cheese and shred it yourself. Buy a big tub of yogurt vs. mini ones. Buy an entire head of lettuce rather than pre-shredded, you get my drift.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If fresh vegetables and fruit are cheap, by all means go for them. But if they're not, please don't forget frozen and even canned.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/nutritional-differences-between-canned-frozen-and-fresh-veggies
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My staples are chicken breast, onion, lettuce, black beans, refried beans, seasonings, cheese and garlic. I usually have pastas at home as well. Sometimes we have a tight budget and I try to keep my staples on hand or at least have money for them. You should always keep canned goods on hand if you can so that you have stuff to work with on a tight week.

You can make burritos, chicken tacos, tuna salad, a simple dinner of chicken/veggies/salad and or potato, pasta etc. The good thing about this community is that I learned I dont always have to eat like a freak and I can still have anything I want within moderation. So if all you have is spaghetti, ramen and hot dogs, by all means eat it :wink:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned..eggs and a whole chicken is a good buy. Frozen vegetables or even canned vegetables.
  • stadter
    stadter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate a few things that other people said, and hopefully add a little bit. During a particularly tough time, I got our grocery bill down to about $35/week for my husband and I. I was couponing though, which can take up a lot of time if you get really into it. Here are some things that still work even if you aren't a big clipper.

- Meal planning - Where possible, you might consider allocating a certain portion of your budget to things that you will need in the near term and freezables. That way you can take better advantage of sales and good prices that you find.
    - Shopping sales... if you go to Southersavers.com there is a blog post they did on what 'good' prices to look for based on different products. I know where I live, you can very often find boneless chicken breasts at $1.50 - $2/lb on sale. Whole chicken can go on sale for $0.69/lb as well. When this is the case (for boneless), I break up into the proper portions in plastic wrap and freeze it. It makes meal prep easier as well as portion control. Same goes for ground beef or any other meat that I have a chance to buy.
    - Shredded cheese generally is more expensive, but you have to look at the per oz price if it is on sale. Sometimes i can be the same price when on sale.
    - Fruits and veggies that are in season. Freeze where you can.
    - Some foods that seem 'bad' are more about portioning to accomodate a small indulgence. So investment in small bags to portion things, like chips or cookies, is a good way to buy some of the cheaper stuff but not take you to fall off the wagon status. (create your own 100 calorie packs in a way)
    - Coupon matching websites - Even if you don't buy the paper, a lot of sites that match the coupons to the sales by store will also have links to online coupons you can print and will highlight when something is a 'good deal'.
    - Yogurt - Two prong approach... one is to try different store brands since the regular price is generally cheaper than what you'll find in name brands, but you have to find one you like. The other is that the name brands that have coupons, coupled with a sales and printable coupons can often get you to a pretty low piece price. Since it's perishable, you can only do so much of this though.
    - Cereal - Similar to yogurt as far as testing store brands and good sales mixed with coupons (that are usually available to print online).

While I do shop weekly, I hardly ever buy anything that is not on sale at a store. I still use coupons, but not to the extent I did before.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Rice is a good staple for many kinds of meals.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    First of all... Shredded cheese costs about 5x the price of regular cheese.

Shred it yourself and save some dough!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Rice, pasta, eggs, and whole sub primal or primal cuts of meat.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    In reference to cheese shredded....they recently reduced from 8 oz to 7 oz and upped the price. It's not worth your money. Maybe some nonfat cottage cheese would go longer.

The other poster is right that you should learn to coupon for a stockpile, even eating healthy you can get a stockpile of free rice, pasta, PB and tuna and some other things. At this very moment in the past 2 weeks I was able to get free Chobani close to free chobani bites and free Yopa and free Liberte brand yogurts by PRINTING coupons for appx .30/1 that doubled or tripled at my stores. OR by matching a Target printable coupon with manufacturer printable coupons. More recently I was also able to get a tub of plain greek yogurt for .50 and Diamond Nut Chips for .75. Find a couponing blog from someone local to you for advise.

I don't know where you live but our health food store Sprouts has bulk bin items so if you want just a little quinoa for one night you don't have to spead 3-$6 on a box.

Some farmers markets or Hispanic food markets tend to have incredibly cheaper produce. I'm talking 80% less. Also look for a market on the move event on Satu/Sundays which is a charity that gives gobs of produce for $10, the hitch is is close to it's end and usually needs to be used in 1-3 days.

If you buy the beans it's cheaper to buy bulk or dried and soak them yourself. Also that's less sodium for you.

Like the other poster, I still use coupons but not like I did before. My grocery budget for 3 was about $25-$45/week for 2007-2009. In 2010 I moved to AZ which has cheaper dairy and produce but less advantageous couponing so I think it went up to $120 a week. Later in 2010 I started an extreme lifestyle change and now our grocery budget is about $600/month but I buy tons of crap I don't have to because I like it...like Quorn, Quinoa Pasta, Nugo bars, protein shakes and endless fruits and vegetables and organic...

My point is I've seen both ends here and you CAN do this cheap and with coupons you can sometimes even get the good stuff free-cheap.

Oh and get some egg whites or eggs in there to up your protein.