Why can't I lose weight after having my gallbladder removed?

Options
I began MFP in early 2012. I am very happy with the changes to my lifestyle, health, and appearance since starting. Through diet and exercise, I lost 93 pounds in the first 9 months or so (had lost about another 15 before joining). My doctor told me that the rapid weight loss led to the creation of gallstones. Turned out to be over 100 stones, and my gallbladder was immediately removed.

I just looked at my progress over the last year, and realized that my weight is exactly the same now as it was 5 months ago when the surgery occurred. I have been more concerned with getting in better shape than losing pounds lately, so I figured it was just a combination of plateauing/adding muscle. Now I see that my weight loss completely stopped the exact day I had surgery (even though my activities have increased. I used to do solely cardio, but over the last few months have split workouts between weightlifting, biking, running, and swimming. I am physically active at least 6 days a week.

I just made an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks to discuss. In the meantime; has anyone else heard of this, or had a similar experience? When I saw the timeline this morning, it was like getting slapped in the face. I have been frustrated with not being able to lose more belly fat, but figured I would see results after just pushing through it, and maintaining a caloric deficit. I have tried going as low as 1700cals a day, and as high as 2700. I have been doing this long enough that I know my caloric calculations for exercise and nutrition are pretty darn spot on. Now I am convinced that there is obviously some correlation. Any help or input would be appreciated (Vitals are: Male, age 33, 6'-07" beginning weight +/-340, current weight 230, very active). Thanks!

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    First off, someone asked this on MFP back in 2011 & I though the answer was pretty good, that just removing your gall bladder shouldn't affect you that way. I've also had mine removed (before I had weight issues). If anything I think it should help you lose as it doesn't store the additional digestive fluids anymore, but just dumps them into your digestive track. But here's the link for the past reply.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218729-can-this-slow-down-ur-metabolism

That said, I used to work for a doctor & over the years I have heard reports of people who had problems AFTER surgery (of any kind), that they didn't have before surgery. Surgery is a shock to your system & I've heard of people who felt like their systems slowed for a while after surgery. Think about it, after some surgeries they keep you until you show certain signs that some of your systems are back up & running, because the shock temporarily slows things. Also people who never had problems before, who developed celiac disease after the surgery, or couldn't eat/drink foods that never used to bother them. So I think it's safe to say that it IS possible, but still a good idea to check w/your doc. You might want to ask him about Cushing's or hypothyroidism (not as common in men, but not impossible).

Also at your height & weight, you have to be pretty close to your goal, ESPECIALLY if you're that active. I'd get a scale that measures body fat percentage & see what it says. If it's really low, you may be at your goal weight. If you do still feel you should be losing, I'd make sure you're getting regular sleep, keep the food diary & get about 2400/cal a day. If you still don't lose, maybe drop the cals to 2000-2200/day, but I wouldn't go any lower than that, & if you start to gain when you lower it, then bring it back up again (as you're probably slowing your metabolism even more).

But really, it sounds like you're on top of your health, you may just have reached your goal & not realized it because of the muscle you've put on. Good job on the loss.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in July 2012, since then I've gained 7 pounds. I have not changed anything diet or exercise in that time period that would explain the weight gain, so I hear you. I don't know if there is any other way to explain it, but the surgery...so sad...
  • sMCmason
    sMCmason Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will do some more reading. I sleep well, about 7 hours a night on average. I do think that my weight is close to what it should be, but the distribution is not. I am around 23%BF according to my scale (down from mid thirties), and still have a disproportionate belly. Everywhere else has experienced much bigger changes. I do appreciate the comments!
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have heard friends complain of same issue, they say bc your body isn't producing bile, not ridding itself of toxins same way....they take a bile replacer, bought at health food places, say it works...
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Some other links to helpful articles...

http://www.livestrong.com/after-gallbladder-surgery/
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what a bile replacer is in reference to gallbladder removal? After reading this posters reply I asked at my health food store and they had no clue what it was, thanks in advance for any help.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and wondered if you are doing any better, and if so what has helped you?
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    We actually just learned about this in anatomy and physiology II the other day. A removal of a gallbladder can indeed cause weight problems. The gall bladder concentrates bile, and bile breaks down fats more easily. Without the gall bladder, we still have bile in which the liver produces, but it does not work as well without the gall bladder to concentrate it. My professor is also a doctor and he says for patients with a removed gall bladder, it is advised for them to go on low fat diets.
  • Faithfullyours
    Faithfullyours Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my Gallbladder removed in March 2014. I lost 30lbs in 2 months prior to my surgery. But by November 2014 I had gained 40lbs back. It’s been a long 3.5 years of blood tests, nutritionists, naturalists, and self-research but here is what I have learned and I HOPE this is helpful to anyone reading:
    Our gallbladders concentrate the bile from our livers to break down fats, cholesterol, and fat soluble vitamins. Once our gallbladders are damaged or removed, we no longer receive concentrated bile, we just get the regular bile produced from our liver. As a result, two important things happen: 1. Our liver becomes stressed which compromises our immune system and digestive system. This is why you will see several changes in your body including skin problems, developed allergies, and digestive issues. 2. The fats and fat soluble vitamins can be eaten but not broken down appropriately sending out bodies into starvation mode. We become vitamin deficient which can lead to longer term health problems including obesity, heart problems, autoimmune diseases, etc. And our bodies end up holding on to fat for dear life….literally.
    What can we do? Mind you, this is 3 years’ worth of research from various medical articles and professionals I’ve seen.
    Diet & Exercise:
    1. Reduce or ELIMINATE your carb and sugar intake. Both times I’ve done this I’ve lost at least 20lbs. No pastas, no breads, no sweets. Stick to starchy veggies (no potatoes but sweet potatoes), quinoa, and the occasional brown rice. Better yet: Go gluten free. This will help your body go into Ketosis and start burning those extra fat stores instead of burning carbs.
    2. Reduce or Eliminate dairy, pork, and other red meats. I say this because I only ate Chicken and fish for 2 years after my gallbladder was taken out and had no cholesterol problems. The minute I started eating cheese, sour cream, steaks, pork, processed meats again…I had high cholesterol which leads to more stones that block ducts and mess up your livers. Also, you will notice glowing skin.
    3. If you do eat meat, any kind of meat, be gentle on your liver (which you REALLY need now) and go organic. No grain fed meats and only wild caught fish. Same with eggs.
    4. Go high protein to stay full and curb your cravings for carbs. I like to refer to myself as a flexitarian paleo. I eat mostly high protein beans and veggies with the occasional chicken or fish.
    5. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to keep your digestive system moving. I hated always reading this, but it’s true.
    Supplements:
    1. Beta Plus is your friend: It contains Ox bile, organic beet and pancrelipase which is a great combo for breaking down fats and carbs in you meals. Two before every meal should do it. This will allow you to get some of those vitamins you need from food.
    2. In the morning, take an excellent multivitamin with the Beta plus tabs and a high protein breakfast so you can break down all of those vitamins and curb cravings. Make sure the multivitamin has more than the recommended dose of A, E, K, B12, & D3 because your body is in starvation mode. All of these vitamins are where most people without a gallbladder are deficient. I take New Chapter Prenatal with Probiotics.
    3. Take a probiotic. This will aid your digestion and keep your gut balanced relieving a lot of symptoms long term.
    4. Get some Essential Fatty Acids supplements. Especially if you are limiting your meat intake. These will help get your body out of starvation mode as well and also make sure you take the beta plus tabs with these so they are broken down correctly. This was the best thing my naturalist did for me and actually helped me get pregnant. I usually take all of mine with lunch or dinner. I use biotic plus EFA’s.
    5. If your multivitamin doesn’t have a lot of it, get you a magnesium supplement. No gallbladder can cause a deficiency in this as well. You need this for more energy, bone health, to help digest calcium, etc.
    6. Get a Taurine supplement. This will support your liver (IMPORTANT), create acids to break down fats, regulate your blood sugar promoting the use of fat for fuel in your body. And it’s good for inflammation and recovery after workouts. If you eat a lot of animal products this won’t be necessary, however since I am recommending the reduction of animal products….yeah.
    Do all of this for a minimum of 60-90 days to see a difference. I have done this for 65 days and counting and I have managed to lose 23 pounds, clear up my skin, and eliminate my allergy meds. Hope this helps. If you need more explanation…see following article…best one yet: http://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopping-your-weight-loss/
    P.s. If this feels like too much…at the bare minimum: no carbs, Beta Plus Tabs with Ox-bile, Multivitamin, and Taurine for the rest of your life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs while laid up for GB surgery. I had already lost about 60 and continued losing another 80-90 lbs afterwards. So for me, the surgery had no effect on weight loss whatsoever. I did not make any dietary changes.
    While the surgery might make losses a tad more difficult for reasons speculated above, if you are eating at a correct deficit, you should continue losing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had my Gallbladder removed in March 2014. I lost 30lbs in 2 months prior to my surgery. But by November 2014 I had gained 40lbs back. It’s been a long 3.5 years of blood tests, nutritionists, naturalists, and self-research but here is what I have learned and I HOPE this is helpful to anyone reading:
    Our gallbladders concentrate the bile from our livers to break down fats, cholesterol, and fat soluble vitamins. Once our gallbladders are damaged or removed, we no longer receive concentrated bile, we just get the regular bile produced from our liver. As a result, two important things happen: 1. Our liver becomes stressed which compromises our immune system and digestive system. This is why you will see several changes in your body including skin problems, developed allergies, and digestive issues. 2. The fats and fat soluble vitamins can be eaten but not broken down appropriately sending out bodies into starvation mode. We become vitamin deficient which can lead to longer term health problems including obesity, heart problems, autoimmune diseases, etc. And our bodies end up holding on to fat for dear life….literally.
    What can we do? Mind you, this is 3 years’ worth of research from various medical articles and professionals I’ve seen.
    Diet & Exercise:
    1. Reduce or ELIMINATE your carb and sugar intake. Both times I’ve done this I’ve lost at least 20lbs. No pastas, no breads, no sweets. Stick to starchy veggies (no potatoes but sweet potatoes), quinoa, and the occasional brown rice. Better yet: Go gluten free. This will help your body go into Ketosis and start burning those extra fat stores instead of burning carbs.
    2. Reduce or Eliminate dairy, pork, and other red meats. I say this because I only ate Chicken and fish for 2 years after my gallbladder was taken out and had no cholesterol problems. The minute I started eating cheese, sour cream, steaks, pork, processed meats again…I had high cholesterol which leads to more stones that block ducts and mess up your livers. Also, you will notice glowing skin.
    3. If you do eat meat, any kind of meat, be gentle on your liver (which you REALLY need now) and go organic. No grain fed meats and only wild caught fish. Same with eggs.
    4. Go high protein to stay full and curb your cravings for carbs. I like to refer to myself as a flexitarian paleo. I eat mostly high protein beans and veggies with the occasional chicken or fish.
    5. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to keep your digestive system moving. I hated always reading this, but it’s true.
    Supplements:
    1. Beta Plus is your friend: It contains Ox bile, organic beet and pancrelipase which is a great combo for breaking down fats and carbs in you meals. Two before every meal should do it. This will allow you to get some of those vitamins you need from food.
    2. In the morning, take an excellent multivitamin with the Beta plus tabs and a high protein breakfast so you can break down all of those vitamins and curb cravings. Make sure the multivitamin has more than the recommended dose of A, E, K, B12, & D3 because your body is in starvation mode. All of these vitamins are where most people without a gallbladder are deficient. I take New Chapter Prenatal with Probiotics.
    3. Take a probiotic. This will aid your digestion and keep your gut balanced relieving a lot of symptoms long term.
    4. Get some Essential Fatty Acids supplements. Especially if you are limiting your meat intake. These will help get your body out of starvation mode as well and also make sure you take the beta plus tabs with these so they are broken down correctly. This was the best thing my naturalist did for me and actually helped me get pregnant. I usually take all of mine with lunch or dinner. I use biotic plus EFA’s.
    5. If your multivitamin doesn’t have a lot of it, get you a magnesium supplement. No gallbladder can cause a deficiency in this as well. You need this for more energy, bone health, to help digest calcium, etc.
    6. Get a Taurine supplement. This will support your liver (IMPORTANT), create acids to break down fats, regulate your blood sugar promoting the use of fat for fuel in your body. And it’s good for inflammation and recovery after workouts. If you eat a lot of animal products this won’t be necessary, however since I am recommending the reduction of animal products….yeah.
    Do all of this for a minimum of 60-90 days to see a difference. I have done this for 65 days and counting and I have managed to lose 23 pounds, clear up my skin, and eliminate my allergy meds. Hope this helps. If you need more explanation…see following article…best one yet: http://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopping-your-weight-loss/
    P.s. If this feels like too much…at the bare minimum: no carbs, Beta Plus Tabs with Ox-bile, Multivitamin, and Taurine for the rest of your life.

psst... @Faithfullyours the original poster in this thread hasn't logged in since 2015 and they posted this thread two years before that. Hopefully they've found a way that works for them by now.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have not had a solid movement since having mine removed and I get plenty of fiber