exercise time preference

Options
When is the best time to work out? In the morning or in the afternoon? Or does it it really even matter?

Replies

• iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like in the afternoon, or at night. I have some crazy long thick hair and working out in the morning then dealing with that mess of sweaty hair is just not something I enjoy doing. Haha
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, as long as you workout. Just not right before bed..
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For me, the best time is in the afternoon when my kids are taking a nap.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is the time that you will work out.

It makes no difference.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like to go after work. My job is super stressful and it gives me an outlet. So I usually end up going from 9-10/10:30pm. Then I go home, watch a show or two and head to bed.
  • tarajo2226
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the evening. That way kids are zonked out and I can treat myself to a long hot shower (with no tiny feet or little knocks on the door) and it makes me sleep better! Just as long as you are working out is all that matters! Keep up the good work!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    4am
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You might find through trial and error that you have times that are optimal for you and your body.

I always run early in the morning - or at least before doing anything else, especially eating. I find if I run in the afternoon or evening, even if I haven't eaten recently, it takes me significantly longer to do the same route and I just feel sluggish.

Weights and calisthenics though, I need to do in the afternoon or evening. I tried doing an early morning gym session and I was just not awake or coordinated enough for that, it was a disaster!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no best time, purely personal preference. If you have more energy and workout with greater intensity in the morning, then morning is best time for you. If you go harder in the evening, then evening is best.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am a morning worker outer. When I go in the evenings I just don't have the same energy and push. Don't think it really matters as long as you work out!
  • OMGItsErinPratt
    OMGItsErinPratt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the morning, as soon as I wake up and for some reason, I did not have the energy to keep up. BUT after, I worked out, I was in a great mood all day.

Then, I switched it to after dinner, and i LOVE it. It takes away the temptation of eating before bed because I'm so exhausted from working out so hard. I go to bed feeling amazing!....but that's just my preference.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    not a morning person so afternoons for me
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got my best results in the morning. I start the day off with a good burn, metabolism moving, great calorie burn, and I continue to burn calories throughout the day. I slept better with morning workouts.

Unfortunately, my schedule provides evening workouts, but I'm not a fan....it takes forever for my mind to unwind after working out and other appointments in the evening....so sleep is good but not as good.
  • oh_its_leesha
    oh_its_leesha Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I prefer morning but ive been doin my exercises at night. Because of my job. But you're right as long as im working out it doesn't matter.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    what I want and what works with our life are very different things.

I have a 6 year old, I run a business from my home that does not allow me to leave during the day.

my DH also works out....

so we swap. He goes at the crack of dawn, I go in the evenings after dinner and my DD is ready for bed. So I get to the gym most nights at 8:30-9:30. For this current challenge I am also working out on my lunch because I can do that from home so I do the 30 day shred on my lunch.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like in the afternoon, or at night. I have some crazy long thick hair and working out in the morning then dealing with that mess of sweaty hair is just not something I enjoy doing. Haha

This was me! I cut my hair just above my shoulders in November and it has been way easier to deal with. That being said, I still cannot manage to workout, shower and tame my hair in the mornings. I have found that working out and showering in the afternoons is much easier to deal with.
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    I workout at night... It keeps me from thinking about nighttime snacking and, when I go to the gym, it is less crowded.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    6.30am before work
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I work out after work :) So, around 5:00 in the afternoon. I get out of work at 4:30, head home, maybe check my facebook and then get to my workout. I just don't have the motivation at 6:00 AM to get up and workout. I feel much better if I do it later in the day. Plus, it tires me out and helps me get to sleep.
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before i eat anything. Your body will be running on empty, but i found that i lost more weight doing so. (and im gaining muscle!!)