exercise time preference

Options
2»

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when you will do it consistently. That will vary for different people.

I prefer working out in the late afternoon or early evening. I have more energy then & my workouts are much better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever you can put in the maximum effort...other than that, it doesn't matter one damned bit.

I can't lift in the mornings because I never seem to be able to give it my max effort...I'm a boss in the evening though.
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    before bed or first thing in the morning
  • mishmum
    mishmum Posts: 13
    Options
    I was watching one of Jillian Michaels' videos and she clearly states that there isn't an exact and perfect time to work out as long as you workout at one point of the day. Then she continued to say that the ideal time to workout is basically the time you work out everyday. For example, if you plan your workouts before work/school every morning, continue doing that. Your body adjusts to the routine you place it in and expects that workout around that time of the day, everyday
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I strongly prefer the evening, but I work at home and time often gets away from me. By dragging my lazy butt out of bed and doing it in the morning, I have no excuse to skip my daily workout.
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anytime!
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like going during the early afternoon. I go to my apartment's gym and it's right next to my uni, so the majority of residents are students. The gym is virtually empty in the morning/afternoon because everyone's in class! It's miserable to go after 5 because it's a tiny gym and tends to be jam packed. (I do sometimes love going on Friday/Saturday nights if I'm not busy because everyone is partying/away, so it's basically empty which can be really relaxing at night lol.)
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Afternoon. I am not a morning person and can't be bothered. My energy comes alive in the afternoon and evening.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked to workout early morning, because that fits my schedule best...but honestly, I prefer late afternoon/early evening. Still, to meet my scheduling issues, I'm currently about 50/50 between those.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Work days I try to brisk walk mid morning, lunch time and mid afternoon followed by some indoor work or run in the evenings. Weekends is normally a morning workout.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before i eat anything. Your body will be running on empty, but i found that i lost more weight doing so. (and im gaining muscle!!)

People can burn up to 20% more body fat by exercising in the morning on an empty stomach, according to new research from Northumbria University.

"In order to lose body fat we need to use more fat than we consume. Exercise increases the total amount of energy we expend and a greater proportion of this energy comes from existing fat if the exercise is performed after an overnight fast."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130124091425.htm

I think working out 3 to 4 hours after eating accomplishes the same thing, because your stomach is pretty empty.
  • knittingwiz
    knittingwiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to work out first thing in the morning or else it does not get done.
  • schmeckpeper
    schmeckpeper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work out 20-30 min (elliptical) in the a.m. and then after work I come home and do strength (currently 30 Day Shred) and then jump on the Elliptical for 20-30 min more. As soon as the weather allows I'll be walking during lunch at work too. Since I sit on my butt all day at work it breaks it up nicely and keeps the burn going!
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings before my hubby, dogs, and daughter get up or else it won't get done! I have tried other times of the day but life seems to get in the way. I am a morning person and that is my "me" time to get my focus for the day.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that the best time to workout is anytime between 00:01 and 23:59 Sunday through Saturday.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I go to the gym around 8pm. It's a time when the kids are almost in bed and my husband is at home so it's very convenient and the classes I want to do happen to be on at that time. It's the same at the weekend, only the classes are at 5pm. It also means that I can keep my routine during school holidays. I find I sleep much better on the it's I've done a class.
  • egtram01
    egtram01 Posts: 7
    Options
    I wish I could wake up early in the morning and work out, but I just can't pull myself out of bed. I always get great workouts right around early afternoon.
  • whytewytch
    Options
    For me, it's the morning or nothing. Mainly because my RL is so hectic that I find it hard to find time/motivation if I don't get it done right away. I'm already up early, with a two hour gap between when the oldest goes to school and when the youngest does, so I might as well use the time to my advantage. Besides, I don't have the time for two showers in a day. :)
  • etmorley1
    etmorley1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was never a morning person, but I have become one! After a hectic day, my mojo was waning and I kept finding excuses to skip my exercise routine. Now, I get all my gear ready the night before, set my alarm, and get up as soon as the alarm goes! I work hard for an hour, get my metabolism whizzing, and feel good for the rest of the day. Try it! It might work for you.