Will I ever be able to run outside?

I love having a good run on the treadmill. When I first started using a treadmill, I'd feel exhausted after about 5 minutes (at most) and now I can go for a good half an hour at about 7.8km/h.
However, when it comes to running outside, I get a sore chest and can't last more than 5-10 minutes. I've got asthma and always put it down to that and that it's colder outside blah blah blah. Am I just making excuses for myself? I would love to be able to go for a run outside in the evening when the gym has closed. Tonight, I wanted to have an extra half hour session on the treadmill but didn't realise the gym closed at 8pm (this was at 7.45pm) on Fridays.
Will I ever be able to run outside for an extended period or is is possible that my asthma is actually holding me back?

Any advice would be fab thanks :smile:

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    I started running a couple weeks ago and although I don't have asthma I'm a smoker (trying to quit) and experience similar symptoms sometimes. Maybe you're going about it the wrong way, busting out the gate too fast. Try alternating run/walking so that your lungs and body can get used to it. If its cold you should be breathing in and out of your nose. That helped me a lot. You can also try running slower or jogging. The more you do it, the easier it should become. Just be patient and keep trying.
  • I had the same problem. I trained for a 5k just using the treadmill, and when it actually came to running it my asthma started playing up from the cold. Last December I decided to take up runing(I'd given up the gym 6mths before) and I had the same issue for the first few runs but eventually even in the snow it doesn't bother me anymore. It hurts like hell at first, and I did have to take my inhaler along with me for the first few weeks but it will subside and my asthma is less of a problem in general now as well

Hope that helps!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    It is easier to run on the treadmill than to run outside, so the first thing I'll tell you is to slow it down. I also have asthma. For some reason though cold weather running is more comfortable to me (I do pretty well when it's 17 degrees out) for me than warm weatherrunning. Pollution and air quality are big triggers for me, so know your triggers. Helps to keep a nnotebook and write down temps and how you felt so you can start to see paterns. I also use my peak flow meter before going out and if I'm on the low end of normal I use my rescue inhaler before going out. It's just going to take your body a little time to adjust to the change.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Thx ladies :smile:

I probably am just taking on more than I can handle when it comes to running outdoors. Going to go at a lighter pace and work myself up to a full out run eventually.
    Just gotta make sure I always have my inhaler handy if I do push myself too hard...thanks again :smile:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    When I first started running, I hated running outside. Now, I hate running on the treadmill. I find it physically painful and mentally hard. I can't run nearly as long or as fast - though I do think it's mental.

Work on gradually getting yourself outside. You will be much happier in the long run. Start short, gradually work your way up. Or do running/walking intervals.

It could also be that you are running too fast. Try slowing down your pace. Also, when you run on the treadmill, have you been running at an incline? Running at a zero incline on the treadmill is sort of like running downhill. Raise the incline on the treadmill to 1-2 and that might help with the transition to outside running.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    When I first started running, I hated running outside. Now, I hate running on the treadmill. I find it physically painful and mentally hard. I can't run nearly as long or as fast - though I do think it's mental.

Work on gradually getting yourself outside. You will be much happier in the long run. Start short, gradually work your way up. Or do running/walking intervals.

It could also be that you are running too fast. Try slowing down your pace. Also, when you run on the treadmill, have you been running at an incline? Running at a zero incline on the treadmill is sort of like running downhill. Raise the incline on the treadmill to 1-2 and that might help with the transition to outside running.

I usually work at zero incline so going to go at 1 or 1.5 for a while now. Zero is becoming a bit too 'easy' for me these days - always up for a challenge:smile:

• roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member

I have been running on the treadmill for the past month or two and have been wanting to get outside, but am worried because it was much harder than I expected when I did it before (a few years ago). I have been told that a 1.5% incline compensates for the difference between treadmill and outdoors.

I also agree that setting off too fast outside is the killer. You generally don't have a screen in front of you telling you your speed. I use an app on my smart phone (for dog walking) and will do the same for running eventually. I also have a Garmin HRM/foot/wrist combo thingy which gives accurate pace admins during outdoor runs, which I may dust off soon.

Hope this helps!
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    I have exercise induced asthma, and while I do better on the treadmill, I hate being on it. I finally found a great inhaler that works that allows me to breath when I'm outside. Have you considered meds?
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    I had almost finished c25k on my treadmill 2 years ago and then decided to run outside. Like you I had a hard time and I ended up restarting c25k at week 4 or 5 outside. Take it easy - it can be done. I hate running on the treadmill now. I can't run for more than 30 minutes or so on the treadmill but can run for 2 hours outside.