Work from home jobs?

Options
2»

Replies

• stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but work at home jobs are few and far between, unless you start out in an office and segway your way into working at home from there. Many men and women have been able to do that by negotiating with their employer.

If work at home jobs were easy to find, we'd all be doing them. :smile:

Have you considered childcare?

Or starting your own small business?

These are your best options. JetBlue also has home based customer service agents, but again, so very few openings with a legitimate large scale employer.

Childcare is not an option. No means to pay for daycare, do not qualify for assistance, and no family in town to help babysit

OP, I think the poster meant for you to take children into your home and get paid for it.

Ooops, Thanks :)
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Babysitting is a huge need. I for one don't work because the schedule is too rough. My son goes to pre-school for two hours three days a week. There are a bunch of moms there that quit their jobs because they couldn't figure out how to get their child to the next location or who was picking them up, etc. Definately worth checking into. You could check with pre-schools or post a sign there. Believe me, if you were in my area, you would clean up!
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Balloon twisting! Great way to earn income :) possibly though more weekends than during the week.... Feel free to message me if you have questions. In my profile pic my dress is made from balloons :D
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You didn't say anything about your education. With a MA/MS/PHd, you can teach online - hundreds of schools are looking for online help. That said, some schools, HS/CC are looking for online teachers for basic subjects. I teach 1-3 classes per term for a Christian University. I got started by simply asking.
    I have often wondered about that. Is the pay worth it? Do you have any teaching credentials?
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Take in a few kids in the neighborhood either all day or before/after school.
    Teach musical instrument lessons.
    Tutor.
    Clean houses.
    Cut hair.
    Paint.
    Run errands for people who can't/don't have time.
    Walk dogs
    Do yardwork.

Find something you are good at and then figure out a way to do it from home.
  • mdkiwi
    mdkiwi Posts: 8
    Options
    I am also looking to bring in some extra income and have recently partnered with a company called Melaleuca. They specialize in manufacturing safe, effective products we use in our house everyday (laundry detergent, shampoo, toothpaste, vitamins, etc).

The business side of the the company is whatever you want to make it, by referring customers to the store, Melaleuca pays you a commission every month based on the purchases made by your customers. No repeat sales, no pressure and no huge investment to get started.
  • debb1010
    debb1010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I sell Scentsy wickless candles which is pretty awesome, easy and fun work for the money. I'm amazed at how they sell themselves. If you have any questions, just send me a message!

Deb.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I work for a company where everyone works from home. We have a 'flexi-office' in London which acts as our postal address and switchboard, and we have team meetings there about once every couple of months, but other than that the majority of our work is done via email, telephone and web conferences. There are lots of pros to working from home - for me, there is no way I would be able to work in this industry unless I wanted to move to a big city, I save big time on travel expenses, and we can be relatively flexible with our hours too. It is however a little bit lonely, even though I'm in daily contact with my colleagues, I do miss going for drinks after work on a Friday, or hanging out at lunchtime. We also kind of have to pretend to our clients that we work together in an office, as it's not generally seen to be a very professional way of working.

Prior to this job, I freelanced as a copywriter for a long time, so if you are good at writing or editing, you can sometimes find well paying work online, or by asking around. I've written a whole heap of blog posts about a site called Freelancer.com so read and see for yourself whether its worth taking the risk on sites like this... http://lisaamartin.wordpress.com/category/freelancing/freelancer-com/faqs/
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you can sell stuff, there are lots of companies like Thirty-One and such that let you set your own hours.

I cannot sell stuff. I am just not a salesperson *at all*.

I am a writer, but (as my husband tells his students who think they're going to be successful freelance writers "My wife is a successful freelance writer, but..."), it took ten years to build my business. For ten years I made nuttin' (no, I didn't work for free, just for very little). Now, I make pretty good money, but you gotta make it through those building years.

When I started the writing, I also had a home-based business selling used books on abebooks.com and at book fairs. I actually can sell books. I love books. But I didn't like the paperwork involved in running my own retail business (as a writer there's less paperwork and reporting to do). So I gave that up, but there are lots of people who sell stuff on amazon and ebay for extra cash.

My sister provides childcare in her home for a friend's child.

My cousin once had her own medical transcription business from home.

Note that none of these are jobs you can find through a work-at-home job site. These are all things we just started doing on our own.

Best wishes finding something you can do! Working for myself is THE BEST, I wouldn't trade it for anything!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Take in a few kids in the neighborhood either all day or before/after school.
    Teach musical instrument lessons.
    Tutor.
    Clean houses.
    Cut hair.
    Paint.
    Run errands for people who can't/don't have time.
    Walk dogs
    Do yardwork.

Find something you are good at and then figure out a way to do it from home.

a) I love your icon.
    b) Tutoring is good. I used to tutor special-needs students for our local college. You just find the right department and ask for the work, they refer you. It's not exactly "from home," (I tutored students on campus or in their homes) but you do set your own hours.
    c) Errands! Yes! I had a woman who ran my errands and did my grocery shopping until she moved out of state and I loved her, it was great! After school she always had her kids with her, they just went along.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but work at home jobs are few and far between, unless you start out in an office and segway your way into working at home from there. Many men and women have been able to do that by negotiating with their employer.

If work at home jobs were easy to find, we'd all be doing them. :smile:

Have you considered childcare?

Or starting your own small business?

These are your best options. JetBlue also has home based customer service agents, but again, so very few openings with a legitimate large scale employer.

Childcare is not an option. No means to pay for daycare, do not qualify for assistance, and no family in town to help babysit

I think she meant you becoming a daycare person watching other peoples children in your home. :)
  • MomPreneur08
    Options
    I have spent years scouting out legitimate work from home jobs not to mention endless let downs from all the scams. I did however a little while back get introduced to a site that was full of good information and detail that led me to a handful of legitimate work from home jobs. You can see what I'm talking about at www.TheInnerCircleLLC.com
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    To the writers: how did you get your first jobs?

Thanks, btw, for sharing here :)
  • ronpool
    ronpool Posts: 2
    Options
    As you have probably found, most work from home schemes are scams. Quite a few want up-front money of some kind or want tro sell you a "kit" to get you started. I don't include AVON or Mary K in that. They are legit but require you to hit the street and "sell" stuff. Alpine Access.com is a legitimate, up front way to go but they are so popular you'll have to beat on the door quite a bit or they may forget you. //RKP//
  • ronpool
    ronpool Posts: 2
    Options
    You haven't said much about yourself. Why not post your resume here and ask these bloggers to help get you hooked up with the outfits they are with? //RKP//
  • JessikaBlayne
    JessikaBlayne Posts: 1,457
    Options
    bump (:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    bump