Afraid to go back to the gym? :/

Options
13»

Replies

• iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    If you want to go back to the gym, then just go. Don't let trivial stuff stop you.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    between the bros doing bicep curls in the squat racks, the girls doing 2 pound tricep kickbacks, and all the noobs struggling on the cardio equipment I have to say I really doubt any will give a **** that you haven't been there for the past 3 weeks.

I mean if you feel that worried you could go in with a baseball cap and baggy clothes and nobody will recognize you anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. I feel like if I go, I'll be judged by the people who would normally see me there every day. I know I'm going to be asked "Where have you been?". The truth is that I've been lazy, and I've been eating junk all month. I am so far off the healthy path right now, it's not funny. Someone please help me regain my focus, because I have definitely lost it. Thank you. If you've been in this situation, please share and let me know there's light at the end of the tunnel!
    Buck up and tell the truth. Everyone's been through it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennibenni6
    Options
    I haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. I feel like if I go, I'll be judged by the people who would normally see me there every day. I know I'm going to be asked "Where have you been?". The truth is that I've been lazy, and I've been eating junk all month. I am so far off the healthy path right now, it's not funny. Someone please help me regain my focus, because I have definitely lost it. Thank you. If you've been in this situation, please share and let me know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Update: I went to the gym. Only the receptionist kindly asked how and where I'd been the past few weeks. I told her I'd lost track, but I was back and ready to work out. Thank you all for the kind and not so kind words :) I think I just needed to be given a reality check to get back in there and find my focus again. I appreciate the push y'all gave me. I needed the motivation. Thank you again.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on going to the gym!

I think this calls for a hey fat girl!
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Read it before you bust on me.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    They ask "where have you been?" and you say...

"I had to take some time off - but I'm back and ready to go! Quick, motivate me!"

... and the two of you go off and workout together and you feel great.

Seriously, nobody's judging - and if they DO judge, they're not the kind of friend you want or need anyway.

Just go :smile:

Edit: Just saw your update ... you went, AWESOME!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no one gives a crap, honestly. Just go. Two weeks from now it'll feel like home again.

Oh you went! Good!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm antisocial at gyms and don't give a **** what others think. I love going into random gyms from time to time as if I'm a regular. Change of scenery for my boredom.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you're nervous after taking a bit of time off. I do water classes and Pilate's and a few other group classes at one Y and the strength training etc. at the Y closer to me. I've not been doing the strength training for about the same time you've not been, perhaps even a month?

:blushing: I feel the same way, nervous to go back to that particular one for no other reason but I got out of the habit. I broke my really great habit of going every other day, 3 times a week, habits work only when we keep them going.:smile: .

Here's what I figure I have to do for me, I have to simply GO back and begin enjoying weights again, i love them, not sure what's stopping me. I was pretty sick for awhile and lost my schedule with all that going on, it can happen.

I have no excuse now... so how about we make a pact and both go back on Monday? OK, how about Sunday since I have classes on Monday.

Wanna do that? :bigsmile: I find it makes it much easier knowing you're making a commitment with someone to go and you don't want to let them down or yourself.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! Think of you and if anyone asks just say.. "UGH" I'm glad I'm back, I missed you guys! :):)

If you noticed someone absent that was always around when you worked out think of how you'd want them to feel comfy coming back and not afraid.

:flowerforyou: So...Sunday then? :wink:
    Hearts:heart:
    The only time I've ever commented on someone not being at the gym for a while, its been because I missed chatting with them.
    Aww... same here, always looking forward to the regulars coming back because I'm so inspired by them!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever commented on someone not being at the gym for a while, its been because I missed chatting with them.

Otherwise, everyone there is more focused on getting themselves healthy than keeping track of your progress.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing because I exercise at a large gym with the same dedicated gym goers. Like other people have said, that is not a valid reason to not go back. Remember the benefits you will be losing by continuing to slack off. I am also lazy. I spent 3 weeks of not doing any exercise and eating crap. I started back this past week. I am so glad I did because I found that i gained about 4 lbs in the past few weeks of letting myself go. If I didn't push through then I could have easily gained more!

Get back on track. The only thing the other gym members care about are their routines. Do you honestly care if someone doesn't show up? Of course not!
  • jennibenni6
    Options
    Update: I went to the gym. Only the receptionist kindly asked how and where I'd been the past few weeks. I told her I'd lost track, but I was back and ready to work out. Thank you all for the kind and not so kind words :) I think I just needed to be given a reality check to get back in there and find my focus again. I appreciate the push y'all gave me. I needed the motivation. Thank you again.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What's your other option? Never go back?

:flowerforyou: Just do it, you'll feel better, and you might find out that people probably just missed you.... not judged you. I know that when I see people again after a gap, I start the conversation with a "hey I've missed seeing you around! howya been?" I think more people are kind than are gossipy. At least the ones I talk to.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Good job!!:wink:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Eh?

Believe me, they will be worrying too much about their own training (or should be) to start fretting about where you have been.

If they do comment, tell them you have been too busy but is back now.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help... but there was a time when I was so uncomfortable being in the gym that I would wear my eyeglasses and then take them off. I could then not really see anyone the entire time I was on the treadmill. When I would wear my contacts, I would hold on to the machine lightly, to keep my place, and close my eyes. Now that I think about it, it also helped me to focus on what I was doing and what my goals were.

Now, I have come to terms with the fact that I need to be there, and that none of the people at the gym (who I don't know) would be any the worse for wear if I let my weight and its accompanying health issues kill me. So, THEY don't count.

I want to live and be well. I want to get to the point where I can make peace with myself, and the gym an MFP are two big parts of what will get me there.