Sweet Potatoes

Options
dsmpunk
dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
Anyone have a good recipe or two?

I am a bit burned out on my typical slice/dice and bake.

Replies

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Got a not so healthy one.
    Slice them (about 5/7mm thick), fry them in a frying pan with oil, and coat them with sugar. My nan use to make them and they are delicious but not healthy at all
    JC
  • jennjenn07
    jennjenn07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SWEET POTATO CAKES?? MASH THEM AND BIND THEM WITH AN EGG, PAN FRY THEM IN A LIL SPRAY BUTTER...I THEN ADD A LIL FAT FREE SOUR CREAM AND CHOP CHIVES FOR THE TOPS..MY FAMILY LOVES THESE
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Posting to see what everyone else says! I don't really know what to do apart from bake them.

Usually I top with crumbled feta, finely chopped red chili, coriander and a dressing made with whole grain mustard. Quick and easy dinner and the flavours are amazing together (hot, salty, herby with the sticky sweet potato).
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Make a crumble, using pumpkin pie seasoning
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Topped with black beans and green salsa.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and red lentil soup is yum
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Mashed. Just like you do potatoes.
    Cubed and cooked, but not too soft. Add chopped banana, sultanas, and shredded coconut. Dress with a sweetened French vinegarette. Yummy.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mashed with a normal potato makes great topping for shepherd's pie
    melt some coconut oil in oven, throw in some chilli flakes and diced sweet pots and bake --- throw on salads and everything
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Boil and mash up with carrots and layer it over tomato paste, turkey mince, peas, kidney beans and chilli powder. Cook in the oven to crisp the top. Nom nom nom...
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato & chicken curry is good, I use it from the BBC Good Food website:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/313610/sweet-potato-and-chicken-curry
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    mashed with a normal potato makes great topping for shepherd's pie
    melt some coconut oil in oven, throw in some chilli flakes and diced sweet pots and bake --- throw on salads and everything

I have to try these. They both sound delicious!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Baked, like baked potatoes, use the same sort of toppings (sour cream, grated cheese etc)

Use leftover mashed SP to make Thai fish or crab cakes.
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/96608/. This recipe is wonderful: Sweet potato, spinach & lentil curry! Imake this with mini flatbreads (palm size to control my bread desires!) and have leftovers for lunchboxes (with leftover flatbread or sometimes on its own :0) )
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato curry and its also good in Tagine, the sweetness goes perfectly with the spices and fruits! http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-tagine this one is good, I am vegetarian so used a bunch of sweet potato, carrots and turnip instead of the beef. I like quinoa or couscous with it, but you can have it with rice or bread etc too!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I like to roast them in their skins or make soup with them.
  • suzealgie
    Options
    I use Nigella's squash and sp soup - if you omit the wine and buttermilk cheese drizzle it is really healthy too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastsquashandsweetp_90620
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    BUUUUUUMP

Found sweet potatoes recently, they are delicious!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    We always wedge them...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    A diner near me has "certified heart healthy" sweet potato pancakes. They are just like regular pancakes except a different color.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I mash one, add egg white & scoop of protein powder, cook like a pancake on a skillet sprayed w/Pam, medium heat. Sprinkle w/Splenda brown sugar, and eat w/ a side of clementine oranges. Oh, I add in some pumpkin pie spice to the batter too.