Weight won't budge

Options
I have weighed myself once a week for the past 3 weeks, eating on average 1200 cals per day, week 1: 141.7 pounds, week 2 down a pound to 140.6 and now today on week 3 I am back up to 141.9. So, I have gained 1.3 pounds since last week on 1200ish cals per day. I am 5 foot 5 and I have had my bmr and rmr tested in a lab a while back, when I was still the same weight and lying in bed all day expending no energy, my body uses 1360 cals a day. So it doesn't make sense to me. I haven't eaten too much salt so not retaining water and its not that time of the month or even near it either. Any ideas?!

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more, like 1400 total per day and eat back any calories earned with exercise on top of that.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Time to get into the gym. If you are eating 160 calories less than you are burning, your results are going to be minimal over such a short time period

160 calorie deficit /day
    x 7 days a week
    x 3 weeks

=3360 calories.

3500 calories = 1 pound. Your weight will fluctuate all day long, more on some days than others (especially for women)

You will not be able to measure your results.
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but with me I have trouble eating my daily caloric intake. I lowered my intake to 1000 calories because I couldn't come near reaching 1200/per day. I am trying to keep my carb intake to 50 or below since I know that I have a problem with carbs (I like all the wrong stuff).

I started doing South Beach about 2 months ago and hit ketosis. I lost 7 pounds after being on phase 1 for about 2 -3 weeks. Then I switched to myfitness since I use to be a member about 2 yrs ago and I figured it would be a good way to keep track of what I'm eating.

Since being on here about a month now I only lost another 3 pounds (total 10) and the scale is not moving. What am I doing wrong, would appreciate any feedback and thanks!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

Do you use a food scale to weigh your food and measuring cups to measure all free-pouring liquids?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but with me I have trouble eating my daily caloric intake. I lowered my intake to 1000 calories because I couldn't come near reaching 1200/per day. I am trying to keep my carb intake to 50 or below since I know that I have a problem with carbs (I like all the wrong stuff).

I started doing South Beach about 2 months ago and hit ketosis. I lost 7 pounds after being on phase 1 for about 2 -3 weeks. Then I switched to myfitness since I use to be a member about 2 yrs ago and I figured it would be a good way to keep track of what I'm eating.

Since being on here about a month now I only lost another 3 pounds (total 10) and the scale is not moving. What am I doing wrong, would appreciate any feedback and thanks!

You're not eating enough calories. Go back up to at least 1200, preferably to around your BMR. You can add calories without adding more volume by choosing foods that are calorie dense. Nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, and full fat dairy are all good options.
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    Yes I measure my portions with Weight Watcher scale and my liquids. My diary should be open if anyone should want to view. I don't eat fast food, eat plenty of salad and veggies and I exercise 2 - 3 days a week about 1/2 to 45 minutes at each session.
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    My problem is eating 1200 calories per day. I can't even reach the 1000 per day. I'm just not a big eater.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yes I measure my portions with Weight Watcher scale and my liquids. My diary should be open if anyone should want to view. I don't eat fast food, eat plenty of salad and veggies and I exercise 2 - 3 days a week about 1/2 to 45 minutes at each session.

You need to eat more, like I said above. You ate 741 calories yesterday. That's not enough for anyone. Do you know your BMR?
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well your diary's not open. What are you eating??
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    I don't know my BMR or how to calculate that. Can you point me in the right direction as to how to do that?
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    My diary should be opened for viewing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I don't know my BMR or how to calculate that. Can you point me in the right direction as to how to do that?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Also, it's good forum etiquette to start your own thread instead of adding your question to someone else's. You can do that by going back out into the main forum and clicking the green button that says "New Topic." I can guarantee you that everyone will tell you to eat more, because you're deep into eating disorder territory right now.
  • YoYoSyndrome
    Options
    Thanks for the info on starting a new thread, much appreciated!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I have weighed myself once a week for the past 3 weeks, eating on average 1200 cals per day, week 1: 141.7 pounds, week 2 down a pound to 140.6 and now today on week 3 I am back up to 141.9. So, I have gained 1.3 pounds since last week on 1200ish cals per day. I am 5 foot 5 and I have had my bmr and rmr tested in a lab a while back, when I was still the same weight and lying in bed all day expending no energy, my body uses 1360 cals a day. So it doesn't make sense to me. I haven't eaten too much salt so not retaining water and its not that time of the month or even near it either. Any ideas?!

HI Op

You are not eating enough - if you BRM is 1360 you should always eat above that unless you are actually in a coma.I'm guessing you are not lying in bed all day doing nothing - so your body burns off a lot more calories than that a day. You are not giving your body enough food to survive if you did nothing all day. You need to your out your TDEE and take 20% off that.

Please read this for a full explanation

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

BUT basically eat more - I'd say 1500/1600

EDIT - just seen you have less that 20lbs to lose - so 0.5 - 1 lbs a week is the loss you should be aiming for.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Time to get into the gym. If you are eating 160 calories less than you are burning, your results are going to be minimal over such a short time period

160 calorie deficit /day
    x 7 days a week
    x 3 weeks

=3360 calories.

3500 calories = 1 pound. Your weight will fluctuate all day long, more on some days than others (especially for women)

NO. That is 160 under her BMR not her TDEE.

DO NOT DO THIS

Then you would be netting a very unhealthy amount. I suggest you read in place of a road map as well before giving out such bad advice. Plus if she doesn't have much to lose, less than a pound a week would actually be spot on for her weight loss.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    My problem is eating 1200 calories per day. I can't even reach the 1000 per day. I'm just not a big eater.

Then why are you even here? You must have eaten more than 1000 cals a day otherwise why do you need to lose weight? Unless you have an ED and then you need help, not a weight loss site.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: can you open your diary.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    how much water are you drinking and what kind of food are you eating? I personally do not believe that all calories are created equal. If you are eating fresh vegetables and a lot of fiber things go differently losing weight than if you are eating a lot of fat ( nuts) and fruit that makes your blood sugar spike up all over the place. I also think it is important to stop eating 3-4 hours before bedtime to give your body time to do it's healing cycle at night. Stress and quality of sleep also come into play. being healthy is about much more than just calories in and calories used. I'm also at 142 as I get closer and closer to my goal of 120 the pounds come off slower and slower but they are still coming off. My exercise is mostly aerobic. I walk 2 times a day and ride a stationary bike in the evenings if my blood sugars are still higher than I like around 7:00 pm. I am diabetic on insulin.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    how much water are you drinking and what kind of food are you eating? I personally do not believe that all calories are created equal. If you are eating fresh vegetables and a lot of fiber things go differently losing weight than if you are eating a lot of fat ( nuts) and fruit that makes your blood sugar spike up all over the place. I also think it is important to stop eating 3-4 hours before bedtime to give your body time to do it's healing cycle at night. Stress and quality of sleep also come into play. being healthy is about much more than just calories in and calories used. I'm also at 142 as I get closer and closer to my goal of 120 the pounds come off slower and slower but they are still coming off. My exercise is mostly aerobic. I walk 2 times a day and ride a stationary bike in the evenings if my blood sugars are still higher than I like around 7:00 pm. I am diabetic on insulin.

I think giving advice to a non-diabetic from a diabetics viewpoint is unwise. And vice-versa.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

160 calorie deficit /day
    x 7 days a week
    x 3 weeks

=3360 calories.

NO. That is 160 under her BMR not her TDEE.

DO NOT DO THIS

Then you would be netting a very unhealthy amount. I suggest you read in place of a road map as well before giving out such bad advice. Plus if she doesn't have much to lose, less than a pound a week would actually be spot on for her weight loss.

Very well put. Eating low calories and then further hammering your body by burning off extra calories through exercise is not the way to go.