100 Calories Workout? Plausible or completely false?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately that workout will probably never yield a 100 calorie burn. It just doesn't have the intensity to keep your heart rate at that level. You'd have to do some serious HIIT or tabata intervals with a heavy kettlebell for that kind of burn. And even then, at 120 lbs. it will be difficult.
  • Inarific
    Inarific Posts: 29
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself. So I did the workout with my HRM on. It took only 3.5 mins to complete. I burned only 25 calories.
  • poisinkandy
    Options
    A quick search of the MFP exercise database indicates that 20 minutes of light to moderate calisthenics yield a calorie burn of 118 cals. Vigorous calisthenics yields over 200 cals.
    Crunches and push-ups are NOT calisthenics, they are strength training.

I think you're thinking of "cardio" not "calisthenics." Calisthenics are any rhythmic exercises that use the body's weight as resistance which help build muscle and flexibility.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I tend to not believe those infographs that float around tumblr. The calorie count will not be exact for the reasons you explained. But there's still no harm in doing the workout anyways! Even if it only burns a little, it's still getting you up and active.
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i think they're false, but the intention is good. for example, i've seen one that you do before you hop in the shower. if you do that before every shower, it might not be much, but it'll add it.