Best cardio routine for weight loss/toning?

Options

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Circuit training
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Maybe you'll like a boxing style cardio? Punching a bag, rope ect.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tried to do exercise videos at home. Hated it! I have found that strength training is awesome with about 15 minutes of cardio done afterwards. On days that I don't do strength training I will try to take a class at the gym. They are usually an hour long and really fun. This morning I am going to a class called Body Step. It is HIIT step aerobics.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love running. I run for an hour and then I do the elliptical for 30 minutes. After that I do weight training.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree - HIIT

I HATE HATE HATE running, but I do 2 sessions of 20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill per week and I'm able to keep my cardio in check.

My routine is 2 min warmup fast walk, 1 min jog, 30 second sprint, 1.5 min fast walk recovery, then repeat the 1 min jog, etc., until I hit 20 minutes. It isn't fun, but it goes fast and my heartrate goes through the ROOF.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    HIIT coupled with strength training.

This! Interval training is a great cardio workout for burning fat along with strength turning. You can do HIIT on any machine or any cardio exercise really.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    opinions are like..... well, you know. So far you've gotten plenty of good ones here.

Unfortunately there is a lot of narrow mindedness when it comes to working out. Everyone thinks their routine is the right routine. For them maybe it is, but it might not be for you. Obviously there are things that will work better for one goal over the other, but that doesn't mean you should do something you don't enjoy.

The best option is one you will do consistently. Pick something, if you don't like it, don't be afraid to change your mind. You will learn along the way what you like and what you don't.
  • mykes13
    mykes13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is so motivating! I'm starting today with HIIT and rowing (along with weight raining of course)! This is my first workout since joining MFP. Here goes nothing!
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This is so motivating! I'm starting today with HIIT and rowing (along with weight raining of course)! This is my first workout since joining MFP. Here goes nothing!

have fun!!

remember that you probably won't do too much at first. start slow and work your way into it. if you hurt yourself, or just over do it and ache too much, you are less likely to do it again.

for what its worth, I guess what I do is sort of HIIT. Its a combo of cardio and strength building with alternating levels of intensity, and it lasts a total of 40'ish minutes including warmup and cooldown. It is quite the workout and you really feel like you've done something in that short period of time.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Interval, go hard in the high incline and resistance, take it easy the lower part...
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    I love running. I run for an hour and then I do the elliptical for 30 minutes. After that I do weight training.

All in one session???

OP, some good advice in this thread. HIIT is a great way to burn fat and lose weight. I would do 2-3 sessions per week of HIIT and then 2-3 weight based sessions based upon a Full Body routine incorporating mainly compound excercises. Then eat clean with a focus on protein, healthy fats and complex carbs and you are good to go!!
  • mykes13
    Options
    Just got back from the gym. I ended up doing one hour of (minor) HIIT one the elliptical. 4 minutes on 4 incline, 1 resistance then one minute of 10 incline and 10 resistance. I finished with another 10 minutes of low intensity cool-down and ab and leg weight work. It was a good workout but didn't burn any more calories than I used to doing an hour of the fat burner setting. Does HIIT see better results (more toned, get to keep my curves)?

Thank you guys so much for your help!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do hiit, boxfit, strength training and some normal running with hills. Hiit, if done correctly, is not really sustainable for longer than about 30 minutes. I do it for 20 minutes on the treadmill, with 1 minute sprints at 16km/hr, then 2 minute light jogs at half that speed.
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Yes, ignore the calories burned data you see on the machines etc. HIIT has been proven to be more effective at weight/fat loss than steady state cardio.

Here is one such study aimed specifically at women:

Talanian, Galloway et al

Two weeks of High-Intensity Aerobic Interval Training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women.
    J Appl Physiol (December 14, 2006). doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01098.2006

This study looked at high-intensity aerobic interval training and its influence on fat oxidation. In summary, seven sessions of HIIT over two weeks induced marked increases in whole body and skeletal muscle capacity for fatty acid oxidation during exercise in moderately active women. In layman's terms, the interval work appeared to "upregulate" fat burning enzymes.

The reason being that although long duration/slow paced cardio burns a greater percentage of body fat during the actual session, HIIT cardio burns a greater amount of total body fat lasting well beyond the initial bout of exercise. When you train at a high level of intensity, you create an oxygen deficit within your body. The body is then forced to burn additional calories for several hours afterwards in order to correct the deficit. This is known as "excess post-exercise oxygen consumption", or EPOC for short.

Just to clarify though, a true HIIT session should be relatively short and very high intensity. So for instance I would do 3 x 8 min sessions alternating every 30/60 between low intensity and high intensity. So you should not be doing a hour of HIIT.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    For straight Cardio I like Tae Bo Advanced a Billy Blanks Sr One or any of the Billy Blanks Jr ones also. Especially the Dance Party Bootcamp are good also.If you are a Christian and like Gospel Music Donna Richardson Joyner has a really fun Sweatin in the Spirit workout with Kirk Franklin,Shirley Murdock,and Yolanda Adams on it also... for more legwork Madonna Grimes are great especially the Afro Latino.If you wanna work straight Abs Billy Blanks Ab-Bootcamp or Madonna Grimes Sexy Fit Abs (is a newer one gotta find that one on her personal website),For strength Kettlenetics or any of the Jari Love ones are totally awesome, and Crunch Total Resculpt is a great strength one as well.
  • Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Stair master seems to get my heart rate up the most and keeps it up consitently. Next would be Elliptical but as you know u can slow down on elliptical (like on a bike) but keep the same resistence. On stairmaster your constantly at the same pace all the time unless you turn the SPM (stairs per minute) back down which i never do. once i go up it stays up until i'm done!
  • mykes13
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I spread this workout over a longer period of time just to get the feel of the machine. Next time, I will try doing one minute low, one minute high for a shorter period of time.
    Yes, ignore the calories burned data you see on the machines etc. HIIT has been proven to be more effective at weight/fat loss than steady state cardio.

Here is one such study aimed specifically at women:

Talanian, Galloway et al

Two weeks of High-Intensity Aerobic Interval Training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women.
    J Appl Physiol (December 14, 2006). doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01098.2006

This study looked at high-intensity aerobic interval training and its influence on fat oxidation. In summary, seven sessions of HIIT over two weeks induced marked increases in whole body and skeletal muscle capacity for fatty acid oxidation during exercise in moderately active women. In layman's terms, the interval work appeared to "upregulate" fat burning enzymes.

The reason being that although long duration/slow paced cardio burns a greater percentage of body fat during the actual session, HIIT cardio burns a greater amount of total body fat lasting well beyond the initial bout of exercise. When you train at a high level of intensity, you create an oxygen deficit within your body. The body is then forced to burn additional calories for several hours afterwards in order to correct the deficit. This is known as "excess post-exercise oxygen consumption", or EPOC for short.

Just to clarify though, a true HIIT session should be relatively short and very high intensity. So for instance I would do 3 x 8 min sessions alternating every 30/60 between low intensity and high intensity. So you should not be doing a hour of HIIT.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Running, burpees, stair master and elliptical.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    HIIT along with fork put downs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do strength training and Bar Method. Never seen better looking women than I do in my Bar classes! When I started it my trainer at the gym asked me, "Why does your waist look smaller?"