lean protein powders

Options
MissJen84
MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
Has anyone tried the eas lean? Or do you have a suggestion for another lean protein powder? I would prefer something I can go and pick up at the store and not order online. What flavor have you tried? Any recipe ideas? I'm looking for breakfast ideas.

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS Lean 15 in chocolate in my coffee every morning. I just use the fresh brewed coffee, almond milk, powder (1 or 2 scopes depending on what I will be eating the rest of the day) and blend, then pour over ice. I love it and its only between 118-190 calories depending on how much almond milk and how many scoops I use.
  • 7SlotFever
    7SlotFever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    My son and I bought some Six Star Whey Protein at Walgreens and tried it for breakfast for a week.
    For the amount of calories that it has, the lack of fulfilment and cost we decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

We found that we were starving and reverted to what's been working for us for breakfast.

We have been eating the following:

Poached Eggs on Toast
    two large poached eggs
    1 slice oatnut bread, toasted
    1/2 ruby red grapefruit

or

Egg & Ham Breffix Muffin
    one large egg, yolk broken, cooked in Crisco nonstick spray
    six slices of thin sliced ham (got it at WalMart, about 60 calories)
    one Kraft Single American Cheese
    on an Arnold Brand multigrain sandwich thin.
    1/2 a ruby red grapefruit

Both of these meals are packed with protein and will give you enough carbs to keep you energized until lunchtime.
    They both have similar calorie counts too, in the mid 300s if I remember correctly.

I vowed that when I lost weight this time it wasn't going to be with anything other than regular, every day food that I can afford and cook easily. So far, I have lost 20 lbs and my son is down 40 in two months. He exercises like a wild man, I cannot but I am still averaging 2.5 lbs a week.,
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen! I use protein powders from GNC. I think they are Promasil one chocolate and one vanilla. I make shakes in the morning.
    With the vanilla, I'll include a banana, strawberries, 1/2cup almond milk and couple handfuls of spinach. In the chocolate, I include a banana, PB2 (or tablespoon of peanut butter), almond milk and spinach. If you have never tried spinach like this before, don't fear. You can't taste it and it gives you a ton of nutrients.
    I probably do this 3 or 4 days a week. They are all less than 300 calories. I drink them around 8 and am not feeling hungry until after 11.
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk light in power form is the best tasting out there hands down. I like it with skim milk and blend in frozen banana pieces....It is like a tasty treat!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Define "lean"?

Optimum Nutrition is probably the best value, taste, and only 120-130 calories for 25g of protein.
  • SandyHKSunshine
    Options
    Has anyone tried the eas lean? Or do you have a suggestion for another lean protein powder? I would prefer something I can go and pick up at the store and not order online. What flavor have you tried? Any recipe ideas? I'm looking for breakfast ideas.

I love the EAS Soy Protein mix in chocolate & any flavor actually. And its not too expensive. 1 scoop after a good workout. I add a 1/2 banana, a couple strawberries, or even a piece of mango or pineapple or whatever I have laying around.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    BSN dessert <33333
  • westgrl
    westgrl Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are trying to keep your calories low then stick with a whey isolate protein that tastes decent when mixed with water vs. milk. I've found that the vanilla flavor or cappuccino/coffee flavor works best. My go to easy to grab vanilla powder is body fortress from Walmart. And my "decadent" flavor is Syntrax nectar in cappuccino latte, you can order it online from mybariatricpantry.com
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Whey amp and one scoop is 95 calories and 20 g protein. Tastes yummy with just water ;)
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NYFAN07
    NYFAN07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive used a bunch of protein products but my favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100 percent whey. Best whey protein for the buck. A 5 pound tub costs about 50 bucks and has 24 grams of protein for only 120 calories
  • lesterfaye81
    lesterfaye81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Zeal protein shakes (Vanilla) made into a smoothie for lunch lately. I've been losing weight again (3lbs this week) and it solves my "I need to work through lunch but I don't want to eat crappy food" problem. I have also been freezing fruit I buy on sale at the grocery store in quart sized bags for this endeavor. (I am single with no children so it's hard for me to eat fresh produce before it rots. See blog post, lol. http://leslierambling.blogspot.com/2013/03/zeal-wellness-smoothie-or-how-single.html ) I've been subbing the protein powder for the wellness powder and the juice with milk but same principle. It tops out at around 280 calories and 8 grams of fiber. Plus it tastes great, you can throw it in the freezer at the office and take it out an hour or two before lunch and work away with no issues. If you are not a fruit bat or have no time, you can just mix the stuff with milk, 200 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and do that. I like the fruit. It makes me feel like I'm eating something and I don't end up under 1200 calories. It takes like cake batter by itself with milk, and the chocolate protein powder tastes like cold hot cocoa mixed with water. What I'm trying to tell you is the stuff tastes good, lol.

FYI, google soy before you buy that type of protein powder.

Just sayin'. Good luck.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Ive used a bunch of protein products but my favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100 percent whey. Best whey protein for the buck. A 5 pound tub costs about 50 bucks and has 24 grams of protein for only 120 calories

^^this

plus...a couple of the flavors are quite tasty!!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Be careful of hidden sugars!!!!!!! Many protein powders are promoted as health products and they are just the opposite.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb. Great macros and the taste is great! No sugar in it, can be mixed with lactose free milk or seen as you in America my friend uses the Carbmaster vanilla. Great macros and she loves the taste! She sends me some jay Robb from time to time, after trying many different ones it's definitely the tastiest. I sometimes put chocolate pb2 in with the chocolate Jay Robb. Such a treat!
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Whey amp and one scoop is 95 calories and 20 g protein. Tastes yummy with just water ;)

thats what i use, i use the chocolate flavor as a shake with just water or almond milk and its good. I add the vanilla to my oatmeal almost every morning and its great, i can't even taste it but i love getting that extra protein boost in the morning.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like gnc soy protein 95 or soy 100 (its replacement). It's a soy isolate so its cheap and lean and actually mixes quite well with water even.

Word to the wise, don't get body fortress from Walmart. It is gross. Look for an isolate, its better quality.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm always skeptical when I cannot find the ingredients. Anyone know where the ingredients are listed on their site?

file:///Volumes/BUSINESS/JOANNEMONIZ.COM/NUTRITION/PROTEIN/PROTEIN%20POWDER/Organic%20Whey%20Grass-Fed%20Whey%20%7C%20Protein%2017.webarchive
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options

I use the Eas 100% whey. It has 150 calories for two scoops. So far it is the only protein powder that I've found that tastes great! We get it at BJs ( or GNC). At BJs, it's $30 for a 5 lb resealable bag. So far, I've only used it for shakes... I have one each morning for breakfast.