What do you wear to run?

Options
I run in tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie, but when I am out I see people in all sorts, I just don't feel confident enough to have my body out on show, am I abnormal or what do you think is best to wear?

Replies

• shanna49690
    shanna49690 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why care at all what others think? Be happy your body is healthy enough to run and secure in that your inner self has a worth that is far above your outward appearance.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Almost always in a running skirt. I like the pockets for keys, ipod, sport beans, etc.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I wear technical stuff - how many layers depends on the temperature.
    I can't wait to just wear shorts and a t-shirt. Soon!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Who cares? When someone is running do you look at them and critique their clothes? You shouldn't. Throw on some nikes or under armour and dress weather appropriate and run.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I run in tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie, but when I am out I see people in all sorts, I just don't feel confident enough to have my body out on show, am I abnormal or what do you think is best to wear?

What is best for running in: Something that you are comfortable in, that doesn't chafe you. Run in what you like :drinker:

Over time, you will develop preferences for certain types of clothing when you run, but those preferences are different for every runner.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    50 in Denver this morning.

Ran in jammer tights and short sleeve tech tee.

I know winter isn't over here yet, but this is a good preview of warmer weather.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's important to feel comfortable in your running gear. For me, that's full length or calf length tight trousers/ leggings, a decent sports bra too, a long sleeved t shirt, and a high viz running jacket. With pockets for phone and keys. At the minute it's still really cold outside, so gloves and headband or buff are essential too.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All technical stuff for me, though the very cheapest I could find! I am the opposite, in that I felt more self-conscious not wearing the proper gear! I find it makes me feel more athletic if I'm wearing special running clothes :)
  • bri0628
    bri0628 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I ran this morning it was only 35 degrees, but I ran in shorts, a long sleeve jersey and wore a knit hat and gloves. Very comfortable
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Whatever feels right...

fat-rhino-man-running-o.gif
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I wear under armor shorts that hit just above my knees and something over them and a t shirt
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I wear crazy amounts of layers. Compression shorts with basketball shorts over with track pants over them. Compression shirt with tshirt and hoodie....
    At a certain point running I start stripping off because my discomfort outweighs my embarrassment.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Everyone's comfortable in different clothes when they run. Some people like things to fit loosely, others like to run in a sports bra.

I like fitted, moisture wicking technical clothes - so I usually run in tights and a tanktop, with a pullover if it's cool out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

What is best for running in: Something that you are comfortable in, that doesn't chafe you. Run in what you like :drinker:

Over time, you will develop preferences for certain types of clothing when you run, but those preferences are different for every runner.

Yup. And you'll find that necessity may dictate what you wear. For a long time I would never ever be caught dead in tights. Couldn't fathom it, way too self conscious. Then I started running through the winter. At a particularly cold race a friend lent me a pair of winter running tights and the benefit outweighed the embarrassment.

To answer your question - for me, always wicking material, I sweat. A lot. If at all possible I do tank tops. I can't stand sweaty tshirt underarms. I like tighter clothing for the same reason, it feels better to me then having a loose wet shirt. In the winter, tights. I have a light running jacket, very visible with reflectors. This winter I bought a winter running jacket (after 3 winters of just extra layers). I wear a hat alot to keep the sweat out of my eyes.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibram Fivefinger shoes for all types of exercising.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I use a treadmill so generally wear shorts (Nike Dri-Fit) and a running t-shirt (also Nike Dri-Fit). I don't run outside in the winter, so I've mostly kept that combination (sometimes preferring sweatpants when it's really cold outside).
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    in deep cold some kind of ski/track pant with a tech tee and a windbreaker/rain resistant jacket and occasionally technical gloves and hat.

All depends on the temp
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Running tights, sports bra, wicking tee shirt, a micro fleece and hat and gloves for winter. Running skirt, sports bra and tank top for summer. The key is making sure you are comfortable and not over heated.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    T-Shirt, Shorts, Beanie and Waist Sweat Vest.