Feet.......

Options
Any ideas on how to keep the swelling down. Sodium is a problem of mine and I am woking on that but even of days where I dont have anything high in sodium and have exceeded my water goal my feet are still puffy :( any ideas on things to try?

Replies

• rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Keep up the low sodium, that's the best thing you can do to reduce swelling and exercise. Give the low sodium longer than a day or two to bring down the swelling, it could take a couple of weeks. I used to have really bad edema when I started this, I even had to have larger shoes for when I was having really bad days. After I lost probably 15-20 pounds, the edema went away and I've only had very minimal problems with it since. Also, if it's really bad, your doctor can prescribe something to help. I wouldn't recommend drugs as a first line of defense, diet and exercise are the best ways to deal with this, but they are an option if it's bad enough. If you want some great information and incite into sodium, check out the DASH diet. It was developed by the Mayo Clinic to help high blood pressure patients. There is a free ebook somewehre on the web, but I couldn't find it with a quick search. You might have better luck if you spend a bit more time looking than I did.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you tried compression socks?
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try eating pineapple and honey
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have a banana. Up your potassium. It helps keep electrolytes in balance. and of course if they do get bad get your feet up and do some floor exercises to get your circulation going.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm not aware whether this is a normal thing to happen in people who have more to lose or what but if it isn't then maybe see your doctor about it? Might have other issues at play.
  • SandyRevolution
    Options
    I deal with the same issue. Drinking a ton of water helps me more than anything. I can always tell if I need to increase my water intake (even by one or two glasses) if my feet are a little more swollen than usual.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I agree, make sure you consult a doctor!!

Try throwing lemon in your water (i use the "ReaLemon" stuff)... seems to help me after a salty day!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Before I started eating right my ankles would swell, well my whole lower legs from knees to feet :( It was the sodium and lack of exercise and sitting all day. While you work on getting your sodium under control I would suggest what worked for me. Elevate your feet when you are sitting. I sat in an 18 wheeler by my old man everyday for 6 yrs and the last 1-2 yrs I had swelling almost on a daily basis. If you cant elevate your legs try and keep them moving and your ankles moving with doing circles. That will get the blood flowing.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Watermelon and aloe vera are both mild diuretics, which can help flush the sodium out of your body. Drink LOTS of water to keep hydrated as that will reduce bloating as well.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Cut back on table salt and sodium laded pre-packaged foods. Drink more water. Cut out sodas and artificial whatevers they add to water. Walk more.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had this same problem with my right ankle only.. I've lost 17 lbs. and that ankle doesn't swell nearly as badly. Admittedly, I had more problems in the summer.. so I'm waiting to see what happens as the weather warms.. But it does seem that weight loss has mitigated things significantly..
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Are your legs/feet better in the morning?

If you're normally active and on your feet most of the day, sit and elevate your feet as often as you can.

If you have a desk job or sit a lot, put your feet up while sitting but also get up and walk around as often as you can.

It's a balance between keeping your feet up to get the fluid back to your heart and walking around to keep the blood circulating.

Initially, you will have more swelling but that will subside over time if you stay active and continue to lose weight.

Continue to limit sodium and increase water intake.
  • ladymcnei
    ladymcnei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well I have the same problem, so thanks for posting this. I just kept telling myself I need to lose more weight.
  • kats3boys
    kats3boys Posts: 61
    Options
    What works for me is keeping sodium to 1500 and high doses of vitamin C ( 3-4000 mg ) and of course drinking enough water.