I may be mad but ....

Options
I have signed up to do a 5k run on July 20th!!

This is huge for me, I only started exercising Jan 1st and only over the last 4weeks have I added running on a treadmill indoors.

So does anyone have any helpful advice for me?

I am going to do the couch to 5k program 3times a week (outside unless the weather is bad). I have 15 weeks to train. It is just a fun run so not the end of the world if I have to walk some but I would love to run the majority of it if not all.

I am still currently obese but I feel so much fitter and healthier having lost 44lbs and working out daily.

I can currently run at 7.5 on the treadmill and I run intervals of 2minutes and power walk 2minutes at a 6.0. I keep the treadmill at a constant incline of 1. I wanted to see the other day how long I could run for on the treadmill and I managed almost 5 minutes before I got too winded and had to stop.

So armed with this information do you think this is a realistic goal to set.

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine. Don't worry about your time. When younsonyour second race you can look back and see how far you have come.
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for commenting and the encouragement :)
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your first 5k! I think the fun run is the perfect atmosphere to try out races. My first 5k was last August and I felt very proud of myself for working hard and being able to run most of the way. Don't get hung up on times or others around you. Try to do some training outside so your legs get used to pavement. You'll do great!
  • ciarabrennan7
    ciarabrennan7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing a few years ago. One of the biggest things that helped me was to come up with an affirmation to say to myself when I felt like stopping. Something like, "I am a strong, woman and I can do this". They say that it is usually your mind that gives in before your body.
    I started off really slow on the threadmill at about 5.5mph and just focused on building up the minutes. By the time the race came around, I had done the distance on the threadmill. For me it was very different when it came to running outside and the race was hard but it started off a love of running in me. Life got in the way and I stopped running but I have been trying to get it back into my routine again.

Good luck!!
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is fantastic and will get you there just fine!! I have done 5k race for life last year and really enjoyed it.

Enjoy!!:bigsmile:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Just stick with C25K and get a good pair of running shoes.

I used to get such bad shin splints when I ran but when I got proper fitting shoes it helped tremendously - evened out my stride and made it so I was landing on my toes instead of the balls of my feet.

I was an abysmal runner - I used to get winded after about 6 min or so of jogging, C25K worked great for me, was able to run a 5k when I was obese

best wishes!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That's a great (and doable) goal! Go to a shoe place where they look at your gait like Road Runner Sports and spend the money for a good pair of running shoes. It will keep you healthy. Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should be fine! I started c25k but I'm only halfway through and my 5k is next week! Oh well it will still be fun! I'm just going to say don't worry about your speed. You will probably find running outside to be harder, so take your time and speed will come!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Strength training! I can't say it enough :) It helps prevent injury and will help you when you run. I recently re-ran the first race I completed (about 4 years ago). I weigh more now, but I've been lifting and I cut my time by 3 mins!

For your first race I would recommend taking it slow. Just be there to finish, not for time. Once you have that experience under your belt then you can focus on time! I had a blast at my first race and all I was there for was finishing. I also trained primarily indoor on a treadmill so I was ready, but not as ready as I could have been. If you can get the map ahead of time it always helps to run the course a week or two early so that you are prepared and don't get lost :)

edited to fix a typo
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging and supportive words and for not laughing at the thought that I can do this!

I definitely won't be worrying about time, it will be prize enough for me to just finish.

It's great to have a goal to work towards. I can do this :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time. It's definitely doable.

Don't be scared to run outside in bad weather. It's really not as bad as you think. Once you get the hang of dressing for it.

Good luck and have fun. Here's some helpful tips
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=So+you+are+about+to+run+first+race