KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    stop eating
    and exercise
    that really is a no brainer.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    #4. Check out bodybuilding.com...forum "Losing Fat" and read the stickies...detailed explanation of the first three rules..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

Heres the link everyone
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^I was all confused when i first started my journey....I started with MFP...great site for support and tracking cals...but the info was all over the place....BB.com gave me the formula and I've been losing 2 Ibs per week..IIFYM
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So I need to eat at a deficit to lose body fat, but I need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. I want to do both at the same time. What do I do??? Should I choose the middle road and eat at maintenance? (TDEE)? Or go back and forth between deficit and surplus?

And I don't necessarily want to lose weight.
    Anyone?

Turbo Fire and calisthenics (mostly pushups, dips and squats) worked for me. I had lost enough weight and was eating at maintenance. Began Turbo Fire and put on muscle and dropped BF%. I gained 2 lbs and lost 5 inches.

But mostly I am shocked and pleased in how different I look and feel. I'm firm! Really firm. And I'm 51 yo.

edit: I'm 51, soon to be 52
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    ^^^^^I was all confused when i first started my journey....I started with MFP...great site for support and tracking cals...but the info was all over the place....BB.com gave me the formula and I've been losing 2 Ibs per week..IIFYM

Most people here don't have a clue. Figured I would spread the truth :bigsmile:
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What if you don't need to lose weight, then what do you suggest? Just eating at your TDEE correct? I'm actually looking to gain some weight, but only want to gain muscle, maybe 3 lb or so. I'm a Clinical Dietitian but new to Sports Nutrition.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

eta: I already drink protein shakes fairly regularly for breakfast/post workout recovery, I'd just have to drink like 12 of them a day or something...

not body weight, but LBM=Lean Body Mass.

I told her bodyweight, because in all honesty it's better to overdo than under. Although anywhere close is usually fine.
  • mellyp0ps
    mellyp0ps Posts: 13
    Options
    green tea!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Exactly!^^ Because without those two, you would lose weight and not fat. :bigsmile:

Either way, you still lose fat.

But the goal here is to EXCLUSIVELY lose fat.

Okay. Eat keto! :D
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    What if you don't need to lose weight, then what do you suggest? Just eating at your TDEE correct? I'm actually looking to gain some weight, but only want to gain muscle, maybe 3 lb or so. I'm a Clinical Dietitian but new to Sports Nutrition.

Recomp and eat at you target weight for a while then go up in weight and recomp and so on there is a post a few comments above yours that explains this.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Exactly!^^ Because without those two, you would lose weight and not fat. :bigsmile:

Either way, you still lose fat.

But the goal here is to EXCLUSIVELY lose fat.

Okay. Eat keto! :D

Keto follows the three rules. What you do with carbs and fats is personal preference. It is a tool of convenience. Some people do better on keto others don't.

For weight loss, low carb or keto diets provide no advantage over any other diet.
    For fat loss, low carb or keto diets provide no advantage over other high protein diets.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    green tea!

40oz_laugh_in_tub_zpsf995e20d.gif
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options

you would lose weight and fat (and most of the weight you lose would be fat)
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i've done keto 3-4 times in the last 3 months and it is a tough diet to follow through with, but it pays off. by far my most successful fat loss periods since the new year have been because of keto. fortunately it gets easier every time you do it.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

you would lose weight and fat (and most of the weight you lose would be fat)

We know, that has already been covered multiple times in this thread. :tongue:

This thread is a guide to lose fat exclusively.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    NICE!!! Simple and awesome!!!!
  • karryann5
    Options
    Would love some suggestions- im 5'2 began at 119 3 wks ago-stop eating anything with Gluten(realized I had an Intolerance to it) then 2 weeks ago gave up bread (with few small exceptions) I have stayed under the 1200 calorie intake to get to my goal weight of 107-I don't drink soda-now only water & coffee in the a.m.- I excerise 3 xs a week with 30 min of cardio-mixed up with elliptical -running do some weights-sit ups)plus im a pretty active gal in between- I went down to 116 after first 2 weeks then yesterday went up to 116.5 and now today 117 :(
    I have a vetetable-water-protein shake in the a.m- carrots-apple-string cheese for lunch and usually plain chicken-hamburger patty plain for dinner (with exception of gluten free pasta once with sp. sauce.) If I snack it is on a few almonds or tangerine-
    First why am I gaining-(havnt eaten out in 3 1/2 weeks-no soda-eliminating gluten ive been super good about what I eat) and only down 3lbs) Please Help...
  • chelskii21
    chelskii21 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    seems simple enough!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Would love some suggestions- im 5'2 began at 119 3 wks ago-stop eating anything with Gluten(realized I had an Intolerance to it) then 2 weeks ago gave up bread (with few small exceptions) I have stayed under the 1200 calorie intake to get to my goal weight of 107-I don't drink soda-now only water & coffee in the a.m.- I excerise 3 xs a week with 30 min of cardio-mixed up with elliptical -running do some weights-sit ups)plus im a pretty active gal in between- I went down to 116 after first 2 weeks then yesterday went up to 116.5 and now today 117 :(
    I have a vetetable-water-protein shake in the a.m- carrots-apple-string cheese for lunch and usually plain chicken-hamburger patty plain for dinner (with exception of gluten free pasta once with sp. sauce.) If I snack it is on a few almonds or tangerine-
    First why am I gaining-(havnt eaten out in 3 1/2 weeks-no soda-eliminating gluten ive been super good about what I eat) and only down 3lbs) Please Help...

First, you're down 3lbs in 3wks, and that isn't enough? Second you'll fluctuate 2-3lbs or more in a DAY...much less over weeks. I averaged 3000cal/day burn this week, and averaged 2700cal/day intake. That's a 2100cal total deficit, yet my scale says I gained 2lbs. You can't trust it like that. Third...do you truly believe you're going to be able to eat like this for the rest of your life? Third...I've never met a 5'2" tall girl that weighed 119lbs that needed to lose weight. Recomp...maybe, but not lose.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

3 1/2 weeks and you lost three pounds, that's great news!!! You're doing everything right. But I'm pretty sure you don't need to lose anymore weight. I would focus on a recomp to add some lbm. You'll look a lot tighter and firmer this way. And like crisanderson2 said about the fluctuating, it happens my weight fluctuates an upward of 5 pounds by the end of some days. It's nothing to worry about.

Some tips I would give you is add a more wide variety of foods and yes even some you may love like chocolate or ice cream. As long as you're in a deficit it won't hurt you body composition. Don't sweat it so much about being super good, take a more relaxed and long term look at dieting. Just watch how many calories you're putting into your body. Peace!