I consistently go over my sodium limit...

Options
2»

Replies

• Kashmir09
    Kashmir09 Posts: 45
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sodium limit because I don't have any medical conditions that preclude me from taking in more than the recommended amount of sodium.

yeah who cares if taking in too much sodium can cause any of those medical conditions....... :wink:

Ok, "shakeology."

excellent argument. :flowerforyou:

Sorry Coach, it's just a little hard to take you seriously when it comes to fitness advice. I'm immediately skeptical of anyone who subscribes to a "system" or philosophy of eating like "primal" whose largest proponents are bloggers, authors and "experts" who are trying to sell things to people. I don't think that there's anything wrong with the whole "beachbody" group of exercise programs because anything that gets people moving consistently has to be good but all the hype and glittery packaging just turns me right off.

you're welcome to feel that way. however, it's a pretty limited way of looking at the world to think that just because I'm a fan of P90X means I can't ALSO have a decent breadth of knowledge about health + fitness, particularly nutrition. but that's your choice to make. Just like it's your choice to ignore your sodium intake. If you end up with hypertension, that's on you. :smile:

Hi Coach. The newest research on hypertension points to sugar-consumption as the bad-boy of hypertension because of the damage it does to the kidneys (the reason why Type 2 diabetics get renal disease if their sugar levels are running out of control). By the time that salt causes a rise in blood pressure, there is probably already significant kidney damage. Not that eating too much sodium is a good idea, but it is not as bad as once thought. Mined salt (common table salt is almost always the mined variety) is often contaminated with traces of toxins of one sort or another (like, cadmium, for example--which does a number on the kidneys) and it is for that reason that I avoid using anything but "sea salt" which has been tested for heavy metals, etc. Sea salt has many beneficial trace minerals. The "Cadillac" of sea salts is Himalayan Pink--available at gourmet food stores. There are other varieties there as well--each with its own distinctive flavoring. :smile:

Himalayan salt is rock salt ... mined ... but yes its expensive so it better be pure :)
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sea salt is awesome, that is all...
    :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21747015
    CONCLUSION:

Our findings suggest that a higher sodium-potassium ratio is associated with significantly increased risk of CVD and all-cause mortality, and higher sodium intake is associated with increased total mortality in the general US population.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ...not by a lot, but it's definitely my problem area (I hit/go under all other levels [cals, carbs, fat]), and I'm not so sure it's going to stop being so. At least any time soon. I mean, I just bought a fridge/freezer/pantry full of food that (financially) I cannot afford to waste. Mind you, they are all "healthy" foods (i.e. whole wheat bread), but I still go over my sodium level!

Anyone else have this problem? Does it significantly affect your weight loss?

If you are pretty healthy overall and don't have high blood pressure and are not at risk for heart disease, some extra sodium won't hurt your health. May cause you to retain some water weight but that's all. If you are concerned, take a potassium supplement. My nutritionist told me that your body is able to excrete excess sodium if you have enough potassium in your system.

As you finish up the food in your freezer and transition to foods that are fresh rather than processed/boxed/canned/frozen, your sodium levels will naturally go down. :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sodium limit because I don't have any medical conditions that preclude me from taking in more than the recommended amount of sodium.

yeah who cares if taking in too much sodium can cause any of those medical conditions....... :wink:

Ok, "shakeology."

excellent argument. :flowerforyou:

Sorry Coach, it's just a little hard to take you seriously when it comes to fitness advice. I'm immediately skeptical of anyone who subscribes to a "system" or philosophy of eating like "primal" whose largest proponents are bloggers, authors and "experts" who are trying to sell things to people. I don't think that there's anything wrong with the whole "beachbody" group of exercise programs because anything that gets people moving consistently has to be good but all the hype and glittery packaging just turns me right off.

you're welcome to feel that way. however, it's a pretty limited way of looking at the world to think that just because I'm a fan of P90X means I can't ALSO have a decent breadth of knowledge about health + fitness, particularly nutrition. but that's your choice to make. Just like it's your choice to ignore your sodium intake. If you end up with hypertension, that's on you. :smile:

Hi Coach. The newest research on hypertension points to sugar-consumption as the bad-boy of hypertension because of the damage it does to the kidneys (the reason why Type 2 diabetics get renal disease if their sugar levels are running out of control). By the time that salt causes a rise in blood pressure, there is probably already significant kidney damage. Not that eating too much sodium is a good idea, but it is not as bad as once thought. Mined salt (common table salt is almost always the mined variety) is often contaminated with traces of toxins of one sort or another (like, cadmium, for example--which does a number on the kidneys) and it is for that reason that I avoid using anything but "sea salt" which has been tested for heavy metals, etc. Sea salt has many beneficial trace minerals. The "Cadillac" of sea salts is Himalayan Pink--available at gourmet food stores. There are other varieties there as well--each with its own distinctive flavoring. :smile:

Himalayan salt is rock salt ... mined ... but yes its expensive so it better be pure :)

Yes--that is true, but it is supposed to be mined from an area where contamination is not a problem. The common salt mines where most salt is mined are often contaminated with groundwater. Some salts labeled "sea salt" are gathered from evaporated sea water and care is taken to test for contaminates. We use an evaporated Israeli sea salt that we quite like. :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ...not by a lot, but it's definitely my problem area (I hit/go under all other levels [cals, carbs, fat]), and I'm not so sure it's going to stop being so. At least any time soon. I mean, I just bought a fridge/freezer/pantry full of food that (financially) I cannot afford to waste. Mind you, they are all "healthy" foods (i.e. whole wheat bread), but I still go over my sodium level!

If you are pretty healthy overall and don't have high blood pressure and are not at risk for heart disease, some extra sodium won't hurt your health. May cause you to retain some water weight but that's all. If you are concerned, take a potassium supplement. My nutritionist told me that your body is able to excrete excess sodium if you have enough potassium in your system.

As you finish up the food in your freezer and transition to foods that are fresh rather than processed/boxed/canned/frozen, your sodium levels will naturally go down. :flowerforyou:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/22/salty-truth-adults-worldwide-eating-too-much-sodium/
    Overall, adults around the world ate an average of 4,000 mg of sodium a day, either from prepared foods or from table salt, soy sauce or additional salt sprinkled into meals while cooking. That’s twice the amount recommended by the World Health Organization (2,000 mg per day) and nearly three times the amount the AHA says is healthy (1,500 mg per day).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21747015
    CONCLUSION:

Our findings suggest that a higher sodium-potassium ratio is associated with significantly increased risk of CVD and all-cause mortality, and higher sodium intake is associated with increased total mortality in the general US population.

Yes, high sodium can damage the arterioles and that can also raise blood pressure, but unless the sodium levels are chronically high (which they will be on a diet heavy in processed food) the body tends to shed excess sodium if one is eating a healthy diet. We might eat too much salt one day and then the next we instinctively search for foods that help to shed it (provided the natural appetite controls are not mucked up with eating too much processed and junk foods).
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    As a women, sodium may not hurt your weight loss but it can cause dramatic scale fluctuations if you weigh yourself daily. This is what I have experienced anyways. Salt can cause water retention specially with the female cycles. My recommendation don't freak out about it but to reduce it by using less packaged foods. You said you have a pantry full and can not afford to restock it so just eat less of it each day and include fresh whole ingredients. This way you'll still use it up. I eat as much whole ingredients prepared by myself so I can control what's in it. I don't even make half of the sodium goal. I use sea salt at home.

Just a note: if you have a history heart disease or strokes in your family, the sodium content is important to keep an eye on and with these diseases as the number one killer in North America, even if its not, it's a good thing to keep an eye on either way. Just my two cents worth.
  • gregpstone
    gregpstone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have Meniere's Disease and so have to watch my salt; so I was glad to see salt intake pop up in the daily totals.

In general lowering salt intake is good but one big exception is when sweating due to intense exercise. When engaged in exercise you need more salt. I'm doing a 237 mile bike ride next month and my doctor advised me to discontinue my medicine as well as get more salt during the four day ride on the Katy Trail.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    As a women, sodium may not hurt your weight loss but it can cause dramatic scale fluctuations if you weigh yourself daily. This is what I have experienced anyways. Salt can cause water retention specially with the female cycles. My recommendation don't freak out about it but to reduce it by using less packaged foods. You said you have a pantry full and can not afford to restock it so just eat less of it each day and include fresh whole ingredients. This way you'll still use it up. I eat as much whole ingredients prepared by myself so I can control what's in it. I don't even make half of the sodium goal. I use sea salt at home.

Just a note: if you have a history heart disease or strokes in your family, the sodium content is important to keep an eye on and with these diseases as the number one killer in North America, even if its not, it's a good thing to keep an eye on either way. Just my two cents worth.

I would agree that this is sensible. We want to pay attention to long-term health goals and a chronically too high salt intake can interfere with those goals. :smile:
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I been trying to watch my sodium as well. I have had high blood pressure while I was pregnant with both kids and my family has a history of it. I been trying to just buy foods that are reduced soduim and try to to use as litte or no salt. It is hard cause some foods lack flavor without it. I have been using white vinager in replace of it when making mash potatos or boiling noodles. It still gives it the flavor that salt does without needing to add it.
  • kelypierce
    kelypierce Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unless you are CRAZY over the guidelines............relax. Only people with sodium dependent hypertension should be hyper vigilant. Just go sweat a little.:smile:
  • felinne67
    Options

Try to add more veggies to your diet in the form of juices is you can't tolerate veggies... i only eat 230 sodium by drinking
    "mean green" juices all day...