How do I lose more than 2 pounds a week?

Options
I am stuck as how to increase my rate of weight loss. I want to lose about 30 pounds before my holiday in 11 weeks. According to My fitness planner if I stick to 1200 kcals a day I can lose 1.1 pound per week.

I do 30 mins of cardio per day and don't eat the additional calories. I am aware I am taking a risk of slowing my metabolism but I don't see how else I can lose extra weight. However that will only take me up to just about the 2 pound weight loss mark at a generous estimate (250 kcals per day x 7 = 1500). If I do extra exercise I will have to increase my calorie consumption so as not to slow down my metabolism so I don't see the point. On top of this I have been exercising every day for 30-50 minutes for over 6 months and not lost a thing (no diet) so I don't put much stock in exercise for weight loss to be honest.

On top of this I know my metabolism is slow because I had an eating disorder in my teens when I only ate raw carrots and tinned tomatoes for about two years, it worked but I think I messed up my metabolism because I have watched what I eat ever since and yet I am still in this position now where I need to lose weight. I estimate on a day where I am not dieting I eat about 1600 calories so 1200 isn't that much less, of course there were days when it was much higher but they were one offs. I don't really gain weight either though, I get to this weight and stay there, I think my body just has a natural weight that it likes but I don't like it.

I'm convinced even 1200 calories won't be low enough to lose a pound but am equally concerned about further negative consequences for my metabolism if I go under.

Anyone got any advice?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight in a healthy way or go back to the disordered thinking from before? You didn't gain the weight in 11 weeks and you won't lose it in that time in a healthy way. If you wanted it off that badly you should have started sooner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sorry. There's no way to have that happen in any kind of healthy way. How quickly you lose is proportionate to the amount of weight you have to lose. To safely lose 2 pounds a week, you'd need to have over 75 pounds to lose.

The body can only burn so much fat at a time. You don't have much to lose. If you're losing more than a pound a week, it's sadly not fat you're losing. It's water weight and lean mass.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That's an unrealistic goal. Also keep in mind that your water weight fluctuates often so a month-to-month comparison would give you better accuracy on your weekly rate. If that's your goal, you should have started dieting sooner.

That doesn't mean that you're not going to still make progress and not look great on your vacation. A pound per week is a great victory!

Also, if you're eating the protein values that MFP set you at, you'll probably want to increase it to about 0.8 grams of protein per pound you weigh.
  • muddynicola
    muddynicola Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be rude Mokey I didn't know I would be going on holiday until last week when I started the plan. I have tried not to diet for the past 10 years to avoid getting back in to unhealthy mindsets again but exercise and moderate eating alone clearly hasn't worked for me.
  • muddynicola
    Options
    Thanks for the advice food and fitness, I thought the protein looked low.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be rude Mokey I didn't know I would be going on holiday until last week when I started the plan. I have tried not to diet for the past 10 years to avoid getting back in to unhealthy mindsets again but exercise and moderate eating alone clearly hasn't worked for me.

Well I think the issue for me is that a holiday is not open heart surgery - there is actually no reason at all that you need to lose a specific amount of weight for a deadline like a holiday and certainly not an unrealistic amount of weight. A better goal is just to attain a healthy weight in a slow and steady way. Enjoy your holiday whatever weight you are by the time you get there :smile:
  • nanciparker
    Options
    Monkey might have been rude with that last comment, but he is right in what he says. It takes us a long time to climb up to the weight we got to and it will take awhile to get it off. Don't be discouraged. Nanci
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would not try and lose more than 2 lbs a week. I currently just lost 30 lbs and it took me 95 days to do it, so I would lose slower. It's also much more likely that if you lose at a slower rate you are more likely to keep it off and thus less likely to have to diet AGAIn. So I'd do the holiday at whatever weight you can get to by then and then continue. One day youll be a very happy girl! :) Good luck.
  • muddynicola
    Options
    That's the kind of weight loss I am looking for (3 pounds a week over 90 days). How did you do it Lovemitch125? what's your height and calorie allowance? and what exercise do you do?
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always eaten exactly the calories mfp has told me to (the last few days Ive been low bc im not feeling well...) and I have usually lost more than MFP tells me I will lose but then after a few weeks Ill have a week that I lose nothing than the next week I may lose 4lbs. everyone's body is different. And usualy the first few weeks you always loss more. I find the cleaner I eat the more I loss even if it is the same amount of calories. There is no safe way to garentee you will lose that much that fast though.

But good luck, I am sure you will drop the pounds even if it takes a few more weeks than you want it to!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what you want is to look as good as possible for your vacation, right? No number on a scale is going to do that for you.

You've got 11 weeks & that is a far amount of time to get some great fat losses that will show in inches lost all over.

If I were you, I'd stick to healthy calories (unprocessed foods & skip the off plan treats for now) - either what MFP suggests plus eating exercise calories or TDEE - and concentrate on an intense workout routine. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred seems like a good choice. Just look at all the great before/afters in the 30DS threads to see the proof.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am stuck as how to increase my rate of weight loss. I want to lose about 30 pounds before my holiday in 11 weeks. According to My fitness planner if I stick to 1200 kcals a day I can lose 1.1 pound per week.

I do 30 mins of cardio per day and don't eat the additional calories. I am aware I am taking a risk of slowing my metabolism but I don't see how else I can lose extra weight. However that will only take me up to just about the 2 pound weight loss mark at a generous estimate (250 kcals per day x 7 = 1500). If I do extra exercise I will have to increase my calorie consumption so as not to slow down my metabolism so I don't see the point. On top of this I have been exercising every day for 30-50 minutes for over 6 months and not lost a thing (no diet) so I don't put much stock in exercise for weight loss to be honest.

On top of this I know my metabolism is slow because I had an eating disorder in my teens when I only ate raw carrots and tinned tomatoes for about two years, it worked but I think I messed up my metabolism because I have watched what I eat ever since and yet I am still in this position now where I need to lose weight. I estimate on a day where I am not dieting I eat about 1600 calories so 1200 isn't that much less, of course there were days when it was much higher but they were one offs. I don't really gain weight either though, I get to this weight and stay there, I think my body just has a natural weight that it likes but I don't like it.

I'm convinced even 1200 calories won't be low enough to lose a pound but am equally concerned about further negative consequences for my metabolism if I go under.

Anyone got any advice?
    Amputation or liposuction are the only way you're going to lose weight more quickly. Your body can only access and burn off fat at a limited rate. Creating a larger deficit by starving yourself through eating less or exercising more is not going to increase how much fat you lose. The more of your muscle that you burn off, the fewer calories your body uses and the less you can eat and still maintain.
    On top of this I have been exercising every day for 30-50 minutes for over 6 months and not lost a thing (no diet) so I don't put much stock in exercise for weight loss to be honest.
    It's good that you've figured out that part. The point of exercise is not weight loss.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    lovemitch, your before and after shots look amazing! So proud of you! And you look so happy!

To the OP, the statement is true even if it came across harsh - the weight was not put on fast and unfortunately, esp if we want to be healthy, it does not come off fast. I posted a thread on BMR and TDEE that might help - 1200 or less might initially drop weight that seems fast but quickly you will inevitably stall or gain b/c your body needs more to live and function............eating more, at least your BMR, is really the key.

I too have a vacation to the Jersey Shore planned the week of 7/8 and would love to be at goal which is about 40 or so lbs and that is 3+ months away. I think realistically I will be mostly there but not all and frankly I am really learning despite the # on the scale, b/c I am choosing to eat plant strong and in a way that keeps the metabolism moving, I am noticing changes in inches and in my clothes so it may be possible the # is not quite there when I am at the beach but the look of my body might be really ok and more importantly, I'll know I am doing it in a healthy way.

I know you were looking for a way to drop faster - I really don't think you'll find one - common sense things are less sugar and less processed food - that is how I eat now - whole food plant based so no meat, no dairy and no oil - lots of fruits, veggies and grains.......

Wish I could help - if I knew a way I would be doing it :) If you are interested in the thread I posted to read and learn more, email me - happy to send it along!
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you have a history of disordered eating, I wouldn't recommend anything extreme. Also, if you want your body to look good for your holiday eat healthy and (as others have said) so something like the 30DS, or some sort of work out. That will show more of a difference than losing xx amount of pounds before a certain date. It will also be something you can maintain going forward.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You may not lose weight with her but you will def lose inches - tighten, tone, firm up and that looks just as good, if not better, than just losing weight.. Plus it's free on youtube!
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Increase your cardio to 1 hr/day 3-4 times a week. Work out up to 85% MHR..Give that a try for a few weeks and see...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of weight loss I am looking for (3 pounds a week over 90 days). How did you do it Lovemitch125? what's your height and calorie allowance? and what exercise do you do?

There is no magic weight loss, what works for her probably won't work for you!! Stop looking for fast ways to lose weight and just eat healthy at a deficit and exercise and be happy with what you get to at the time of your holiday!!! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    That's an unrealistic goal. Also keep in mind that your water weight fluctuates often so a month-to-month comparison would give you better accuracy on your weekly rate. If that's your goal, you should have started dieting sooner.

That doesn't mean that you're not going to still make progress and not look great on your vacation. A pound per week is a great victory!

Also, if you're eating the protein values that MFP set you at, you'll probably want to increase it to about 0.8 grams of protein per pound you weigh.

Just wanted to QFT this comment made by the Registered Dietician...because he is right. Don't set yourself to fail or worse, hurt yourself...
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow. If you lose 2 pounds a week, that's 8 pounds a month, which is a LOT. You can lose 24 pounds in just three months. Trust me, once you start working out and "dieting," that time will go by fast. Also, even at times where you're not seeing the pounds go away on the scale, you could be losing inches (which is what you really want, anyway, right? lol), so don't beat yourself up when you hit a plateau, which is normal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There is no healthy way to go about that goal. It's just way to risky for your health.

I agree that you should do the 30DS and maybe combine it with some other workout. I've seen success pictures of people before, during, and after. The results are amazing in such a short amount of time.