What are your go to salads?

Options
I eat salads a few times a week. Mostly prepackaged salads. I am going to try to start packing my own. What are your go to homemade salads? What dressings are you using or making?

Replies

• CreativeFedora
    Options
    I posted a salad recipe on here last month: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910385-spinach-salad-recipe

It's a spinach salad. As of late I've added cilantro and it's super yummy!
  • SynapseAP
    SynapseAP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the prepackaged salads as a base (Fresh Express). Then I usually add in (chopped up), 1/2 an avacado, tomato, a bit of cucumber and some red or orange pepper (sweet). There's enough flavor from the avacado, tomato and peppers that I can avoid adding dressing =)
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I posted a salad recipe on here last month: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910385-spinach-salad-recipe

It's a spinach salad. As of late I've added cilantro and it's super yummy!

That does look good. Will be trying this.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been mixing baby spinach with green leaf lettuce and using Market Basket fat free raspberry vinaigrette. I'll usually chop up a few baby carrots and a string cheese and then have either some chicken, tuna fish, or cottage cheese on it. Yum!
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I found homemade dressing to be super easy to make and taste soooo much better than the packaged stuff that's full of preservatives. I don't like an oily dressing so I like to experiment with substitutes. Plain yogurt makes a great creamy base alternative. I just add some white wine vinegar but blending it with strawberries or raspberries makes it even better if you like fruity dressings. If you want a less creamy dressing try adding fresh squeezed citrus fruit. I'm really not a big salad person but when I'm in the mood for one it usually includes chicken, a small sprinkle of cheese (Gorgonzola, feta, or asiago), some apples, and sometimes nuts (although I would rather just eat nuts plain) over spinach or baby greens.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Leaves, tomatoes, celery, cucumber, spring onions, bell pepper, beetroot, coleslaw, sweetcorn, .... Yum!! Sorry meant to add home made salad dressing ... Olive oil, white wine vinegar and Dijon mustard
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Fastest salad I can make is 2 handfuls of spinach,an orange, some pecans, shredded cheddar cheese, and left over chicken. I squirt some orange juice all over the ting it is so yummy!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I posted a salad recipe on here last month...

Salad recipe. I'm not sure that I've ever seen those two words together...
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My go-to salad is: chopped romaine lettuce, peas, baco bits, tomatoes or cucumbers. Sometimes I add corn, chopped meat, beans, shredded cheese or olives. I really enjoy Newman's Own vinaigrette's especially the lite caesar and the lite honey mustard. I think they're 2 TBSP = 70 calories, and I never need to use more then 1 TBSP because they are so flavorful. :-)
  • csmith822
    csmith822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a Caesar Salad Kit (Little Salad Bar) in a bag. I never used to like salad very much, but I love this. It's so yummy and easy that I eat it almost every day.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorite "salads" is Chipotle Coleslaw:

Ingredients

1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise (I replaced this with plain greek yogurt)
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 teaspoons honey
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
    3 cups shredded green cabbage
    3/4 cup whole kernel corn, thawed if frozen
    3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
    1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro

In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, cumin, and chipotle chile pepper. In a large bowl combine cabbage, corn, sweet pepper, onion, and cilantro. Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 24 hours.

Serves 6 and the calories for me came out to 46 per serving (based on my ingredient at home)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    lettuce or spinach, mushrooms, avocado, cherry tomatoes and whatever dressing I happen to have if I feel like dressing at all.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My favrite is spinach, iceberg lettuce ( I know I know I love the crunch) madarin oranges, feta cheese, cilantro, radishes. I always use fat free mayo diluted with water until it is very very thin. Live on salads as I am a quantity eater.

Shirley in Oregon
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisines new salad additions are awesome! Lot's of flavor and comes with dressing.

Makes it very easy
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Chicken Caesar, or black bean and sweet baby peppers with spicy Ranch.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Any salad base you like, I prefer spinach.
    Handful of blueberries, strawberries, orange segments and cheddar cheese cubes

The fruits are really juicy and so you don't need dressing!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i mostly use romaine lettuce, but i get baby spinach as well.

tortellini salad: boil and drain tortellini and rinse with cool water. toss with baby spinach, banana peppers, olives, red onion, mushroom, peppers, feta cheese, and olive oil red wine vinegar lemon juice and oregano.

romaine lettuce with cucumber, mushroom, peppers, banana peppers, olives and a ranch dressing made from plain greek yogurt, and spices (onion powder garlic powder dillweed oregano)

chickpea salad: mashed chickpeas with avocado and a little mayo, on top of lettuce with onion tomato cucumber
  • LeahKRayas
    LeahKRayas Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually start with spring mix salad in a bag and add tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrots, 1/2 advocado, and sometimes sunflower seeds, boiled egg or chopped up sliced ham it just depends on what I feel like eating that day.
    For the dressing I make my own right before I start making the salad by adding 1/2 cup non fat greek yogurt, 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese, and about 1/4 cup plain unsweeted almond milk and then adding a tsp or two of the hidden valley ranch seasoning mix. It is fast and easy to make and taste really good ( IMO). This will make at least 4 very generous serving of dressing and the entire thing has less than 100 calories or about 25 cal per serving!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Salad? This is how i feel about it.
    nzAU1SP.jpg