Muscles have been feeling weaker ??

Options
Hey so I am confused lately as to what is going on with my body. I have been working out for quite sometime now, however in the last couple weeks I have felt like I am not as strong during my workouts? I feel myself struggling more during my routines and feel like after my workout I am not recovering as well. I'm starting to get frustrated as to why this could be?

any thoughts or ideas?

My workouts consist of spin class, a group power class (which is similar to a body pump class) I workout about 5-6 days a week. I have been doing all of this for over a year, and its only recently that I have been experiencing this.

The only thing that comes to mind it to increase my protein intake?? What confuses me about this is why now my body suddenly would be needing more protein. (if that is the case)

I would love any feedback and/or suggestions :)

Replies

• kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm interested in answers. For me, I've been regressing with my running :(
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight training, or just the cardio that you listed?

In my experience, if you just do cardio (and body pump classes are cardio with weights!) and dieting, then you risk losing lean body mass and muscular strength. This is especially true if you have been doing this for a long time as you say that you have.

If you aren't already, I would add in about 3 workouts per week lifting weights. While you are on a deficit, this will not make you gain a lot of muscle, but you will gain some newbie gains. This will instead make you stronger, increase your endurance, and prevent any further muscle loss.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I feel like this when I am getting sick. Also I am noticing as it comes up to ttom , I am much more tired. Extra iron helps there.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Where are you in terms of your goals? Maybe you are working out too much? Have you taken any time off? I do better when I take some time off from workouts every once in a while--just got back from vacation where I walked a lot every day, but only actually worked out for 20 minutes 3 days during the week. I also cut back my workouts after I reached my goal weight, from 6 workouts per week to 4-5. I still feel a little guilty when I skip a workout day, but I'm maintaining, so I'm not letting myself stress about it too much.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Take a day or two off for rest possibly? Whenever I hit a physical plateau I always take a day or two or even one more or at times a WEEK and I always feel the improvement when I come back, I've hit my best speeds/distances after breaks.

Could even be a problem started with your shoes if your class is active on feet. Have you changed them over the last year? I just realized that was a base of a lot of my muscle weakness problems.

Try changing the music on your ipod, add some tUnE-YaRdS - Gangsta

Also, YES add more protein.... I recently started doing the whole30 program (very recently 6 days in) which is no sugar or bread or grains of any sorts and it's already helping with specific inflammation problems.... like my right leg, and left back which were faulty due to walking like an idiot with my right leg while my left foot was injured.

Hope you get back on track!
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Where is your daily calorie intake at? A long term high deficit could be affecting you now (even if you have been fine up until recently).
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit?

I would start by taking a weak off, eat at maintenance and then restart your routine but incorporate more rest days into it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit?

I would start by taking a week off, eat at maintenance and then restart your routine but incorporate more rest days into it.

yup.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've hit the weights for 25 years on and off and whenever I felt that way is when I was either gong to hard at it for real long sessions, not enough sleep & or rest in between W/O's, or not fueling my body enough build muscles.

Curious, what does your routine consist of ? Just cardio or weights too?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I follow a girl's blog called "spoonful of fit". She recently came out with a blog about how her year of over exercising and undereating has caused her to finally be diagnosed with extreme adrenal fatigue. You should google her and see if your symptoms seem similar. If you are working out that often and chronically undereating (have not seen your diary-just a guess) it is possible that you could be experiencing this. Is your hair thinning or falling out? Have your periods stopped or became irregular? These are extreme situations but you may be on your way.
  • fcandyaple
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!

Gonna try and respond to everyone's suggestions :)

As for my diet, I am not sure if it is deficit, I am not sure I would know how to calculate or know? I just try and eat healthy.

As for my shoes I am fairly certain that is not the problem, they are newer.

Also what?? I did not know that body pump classes were considered cardio with weights?? I have been counting that as me doing weigh training!? I do "group power" classes, which from what I have been told and read a similar to body pump classes. If this is not weight training then can someone please suggest a at home weight training routine and/or video?? I love going to the gym to do the CLASSES but don't wanna use the free weights because I hate gym environments.

I also do give myself breaks periodically, sometimes its just a day or two, every now and than I will take off close to a week

As for my exercise routine I typically do spin class 3-4 time a week and my "group power" class 2-3 times a week and a yoga/pilates class once a week.