Restaurant Tips

Options
I have several upcoming work lunches and dinners and I want to regulate my calories the best I can. I know how easy calories can add up when eating out at restaurants, so I'm curious what other people use as strategies to stay on track at restaurants. I would love tips for pub food and mexican restaurants as I anticipate that these will be the places we go to. Thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Go to the restaurant and look at menu. You can order things NOT exactly on menu. I usually have the house salad (larger size), no dressing, no cheese, extra tomatoes dressing on-the-side. I add grilled shrimp or grilled chicken or grilled salmon. I could also order veggies (no butter) and some type of grilled meat. NO potato or rice. Just tell the people you are not very hungry if you get a look at no appetizer or first course. You can always order a broth based soup for first course if you feel weird. Make sure it is broth based and not cream based. Tell them cream sometimes makes you sick. Be creative and ask. Order first and you won't feel like you need to change your order. Don't listen to what others are ordering. If you have some wine, drink one (maybe two) glasses and water in between. Again - no dessert, just coffee or tea. Tell them you are full as you were not that hungry to begin with.

Once you do this a few times, you will get used to ordering at restaurants. Make sure to look up their menu!!!!
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My boss is a huge fan of mexican (not that I'm not!) so we have lunch meetings at a local place quite often. I typically order chicken or seafood fajitas or grilled chicken salad with a side of corn tortillas. I put a few chips on my plate and don't go overboard. I also have a small snack prior to going - nuts, a piece of fruit, etc - so I'm not overly hungry. Try to find the restaurant/pub menus online and pre-plan your order.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do 2 things...

1) I save up cals so I can enjoy my meal.
    2) I avoid all sauces, toppings, etc. Steak is steak. Chicken is chicken. But cals can go through the roof when you start talking about cream sauces and cheese toppings and all the rest.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Also ask for a to-go box right away and box up half to take home for later in the week.
  • Christina9388
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice! I was able to order a really great salad with dressing on the side and a cup of black bean soup. I feel good about my choices and feel confident with making good decisions at restaurants.