Hungry-Girl recipes

Options
kylielouttit
kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
Hi all! I just discovered the Hungry Girl website, I'd like to make a few of the posted recipes and maybe buy a book of hers. What are your favorite HG recipes?

For those not in-the-know, go to www.hungry-girl.com

Replies

• csheeha
    csheeha Posts: 3
    Options
    I LOVE Hungry Girl!! Her recipes are great, I have all of her books and have yet to make something I do not like. My favorite recipes are her Mexi-tatos, the laughing cow/salsa con queso, and smoothies. If you are unsure of which to buy, you could always subscribe to the emails, they have recipes, new products, and swaps for fast food favs and are free.
  • Judykv95
    Judykv95 Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat stuff from her recipes pretty much everyday. Everything I have tried has been great. Turkey-Veggie Mini Meatloaves are awesome. I had the oven baked omelet this morning. I would definitely recommends getting the 200 recipes under 200 calories and the hungry 123 books.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I haven't liked many of the recipes in the 200 under 200 book. But I loved the Tequila Shrimp recipe I got from her email newsletters. And I like the pasta recipes that use shirataki noodles and light laughing cow cheese.
  • MissyMorganFit
    Options
    I LOVE HG recipes!!!
  • kylielouttit
    Options
    I'm eyeing the Oreo Cheesecake Attack recipe on her website!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just discovered the Hungry Girl website, I'd like to make a few of the posted recipes and maybe buy a book of hers. What are your favorite HG recipes?

For those not in-the-know, go to www.hungry-girl.com

Sounds great, where do you buy the books??
  • kylielouttit
    Options
    No idea! I'm Canadian, so hopefully at Chapters or Amazon.ca
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I found her books at Target. I haven't tried too many recipes, but I definitely plan on doing them soon. The canolli (sp?) cones look fabulous!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love the 200 Under 200 cookbook, there are so many great options in there. I made the little ice cream cone cupcakes for my nephew's birthday and people devoured them! I also liked the pizzas that use tortillas or english muffins, there are a couple of those in that book, and the "pasta" with pumpkin sauce.

Here's a tip: if you do get that cookbook, she uses one product a lot that I've found a perfectly suitable replacement for (she might use it a lot in other books too, not sure), those Shirataki noodles. They're too expensive and hard to find around here, so I always use really thinly sliced, lightly sauteed zucchini in place of those noodles in her recipes.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have been getting her emails for years - long before the books. I have her recipe cards and the first book. I think my faves are the Egg Mug in the Microwave recipes - there are so many to choose from but have you have to have the ingredients. Usually just a Laughing Cow light and Egg Beaters (or an egg). Also love the Canadian bacon and egg sandwich on a sandwich thin. Many days I have a yogurt and fruit for breakfast and an egg mug or egg sandwich for lunch. The best thing is her Shopping List which she just updated. You can do a search for it on her website. Lot's of ideas for great low cal and fat free grocery items. She was the first to tell me about Fage 0% yogurt (not just any yogurt as you can use it in place of sour cream too). Enjoy her - she has a cocktail book coming out now too! FYI - she's also on Facebook AND has a new TV show coming out on the new Cooking Channel.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it before ,just signed up for the newsletter it looks fab sdome of the recipes look great ,thank you :smile:
  • melissaptx
    melissaptx Posts: 15
    Options
    I love love love the butternut squash fries recipes! The butternut squash hash browns are good too!
  • RadioGaGa
    RadioGaGa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    3 Fat Chicks website had great recipes also - AND so does ivillage. I love Hungry Girls stuff too!
  • amz915
    amz915 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love the Hungry Girl recipe books! I bought 3 of them and LOVE them! The cannoli cones are amazing by the way! One of my favs is the Buffalo Chicken dip recipe (I think its called something different in the book). Ive tried to make the onion rings and it ended up being a bit of a pain in the butt. But for the most part all the recipes seem super easy to make and actually taste really good!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl recipes. My absolute favorite is the Grab and Go breakfast cookies. I use unsweetened applesauce in place of the Gerber purred peaches. I also love the Faux-tato salad (potato salad taste alike). I also love the onion rings with the fiber one crumbs. Also the Slow Cookin Pulled Chicken is delicious. My husband even likes it and he is a bit picky. I like it on top of a Sara Lee 80 Calorie bun. I have made her BBQ Sauce recipe. I tweeked it a little, just added more herbs and spices. Also Sweet and Chunky Chicken Salad has to be my second favorite either on a whole wheat tortilla or by itself. I always make double of this and the breakfast cookies. I did try the tofu shirataki noodles that she raves about and didn't like them at all. I think you just have to try stuff out and see what fits your taste buds.
  • rmeenen
    rmeenen Posts: 23
    Options
    I LOVE Hungry Girl!! Her recipes are great, I have all of her books and have yet to make something I do not like. My favorite recipes are her Mexi-tatos, the laughing cow/salsa con queso, and smoothies. If you are unsure of which to buy, you could always subscribe to the emails, they have recipes, new products, and swaps for fast food favs and are free.

I also LOVE the mexi-tatos....they are so filling! Last night I made the the Crazy -Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf and it was AMAZING!! I have never really tried ground turkey before and I couldn't even tell a difference. It was so filling and I'm only cooking for myself so I had plenty of leftovers! So glad there are books like this out there so I don't have to feel like i'm giving up everything I like to eat...just changing the recipes so I can make it healthy!
  • angel60067
    angel60067 Posts: 12
    Options
    I bought 200 recipes under 200 calories. Love the website...that is were I found the oatmeal cookie recipe
  • tiredmommytales
    tiredmommytales Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got the 200 under 200 cookbook for my birthday and have to finish looking through it.

I've done the Eggs in a Mug for breakfast a couple of times and love them!!