Any 50+ women out there?

Options
I am 6 years post-gastric bypass and I am starting to slow down, lose my motivation, and regain weight. I cannot go back to what I was so I am committing to hit the gym more, count my calories and portion control and reach out for help and motivation. Any one out there need a virtual buddy for support and commiseration? I'm an optimist by nature and KNOW we can get this done!

Replies

• gdkids6
    gdkids6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 59 years old. Feel free to add me. I live in California and have been using mfp just over a year.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am going on 62. I have been on MFP for well over a year. You can add me if you wish.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I just joined and 54. Menopause gave me a big kick with weight and metabolism. I think the logging things down and reading other posts and support will help. I have to lose about 50lbs. I'm an emotional eater so I need all the support I can get. and will give it to others.
  • iwillsucceed4me
    iwillsucceed4me Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 51. I just started my new life and journey TODAY!. I look forward to working together to reach our goals.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am 60. Welcome to My Fitness Pal. It is harder, but it can be done. I walk every day and try to watch my calorie and sodium intake. You can add me if you like. :smile:
  • SunRiseBiker
    SunRiseBiker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am 51 and working on losing 50# for the 3rd time in 5 years. Life gets hard = I eat.
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just joined and 54. Menopause gave me a big kick with weight and metabolism. I think the logging things down and reading other posts and support will help. I have to lose about 50lbs. I'm an emotional eater so I need all the support I can get. and will give it to others.

Hi I'm 53 and going through menopause and I to am an emotional eater and have 50 pounds to lose. So we have a lot in common. I've been on this before and I got back on it in hopes to stick with it this time :bigsmile: :happy:
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I'm losing weight and getting fit.
  • sheld10
    sheld10 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too am 54, just about 55 and am having a hard time getting started. We can use each other for motivation and ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's certainly different after 50. I think the key for most of us is being more active and mixing it up. If you walk 3 miles, for instance, after a while your body thinks it's normal..so maybe add hills or go a bit longer. For me it's time and motivation, I think this site and having like-minded people around me, will help.
    Sometimes others don't take your goals seriously and try to sabotage, you really have to be strong, know you'll have bad days and pick yourself up again.

I'm very new, how does the "friend" thing work?
  • DianeLyn56
    Options
    Hi, I'm 56 and just joined yesterday. I want to lose 20 lbs. and keep it off. I love not having to count the calories and everything else myself. I can change the foods to fit the day, it's great. Anyone who would like to add me as a friend, please feel free. We are all in this together. :)
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There's a great thread on here Women Ages 50+ for April 2013 (it gets updated monthly) that I discovered when I rejoined MFP in June last year. It has made all the difference for me because of the support and similar struggles that we face together! I agree with DianeLyn56, we are in this together! We can achieve!:smile:

Almost forgot, on this thread we post monthly goals to hold ourselves and each other accountable.
  • Bellytink
    Options
    I am 68. I have lost one pound in my first week of Bootcamp, and "roughly" controlled eating habbits. It has been a bit difficult as Easter loomed with choolate eggs galore! I am aiming to lose 7lb before 11 June so I shall keep you all posted.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've been here over 2 years, doing well but still have difficult days! I have a bit more to lose but I'm happy that I've come this far with the help of MFP and a group of great friends. I'm 58, get most of my exercise walking my dogs and gardening, and sometimes I even do a little jogging 'round the track. Speaking of which, I'd better get moving! I've been in a bit of a slump lately, must kick it! Good luck to you, feel free to add me.
  • annaldora
    annaldora Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just turned 50 in January, and have struggled with weight pretty much ALL my life. I want to loose weight and well.....you all know where I'm coming from.....lol....I have 100 lbs to loose. So far I have lost 3 lbs.......hoping to find motivation here.....my biggest thing is I need to sign in everyday, log my food, etc and read.........trying to be better about it............feel free to add me if you'd like! Have my best friend on here, and soon my son will be a member here.... :-) Best wishes to everyone on their journey!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place for support! MFP is great, full of motivating stories and pictures. It took me 3 months to figure out a lot of details but I think I'm getting it! I log in daily (missed one day since Jan.) and track my food but keep my diary private. You can friend me if you want. Welcome and good luck!
  • Meopausemom1951
    Meopausemom1951 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    am 61 and it is hard .lose a pound gain a pound...working out 7 days a week zumbaetc..menopause kick my butt..lost 5 lbs..first time writing it down..no retirement in my future
  • cinnamon42
    cinnamon42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm a 55 yr. old woman who lost her job over a year ago, have not been able to secure fulltime work due to the economy;, and possibly age. Depression set in along with emotional eating from the job lost and I packed on the pounds. I've decided I can no longer take how I look and feel.

I am determined to lose at least 25 lbs., which is a MAJOR challenge, but I have to start somewhere.
  • mlneubert
    mlneubert Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined MFP and I turn 50 in about a week and a half. I would love to have buddies close to my age. I think hearing what has worked and hasn't worked would be a great help.
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and highly motivated and motivational! :bigsmile: Please feel free to add me.