P90x weight gain in first week?? Help!

Hi guys,
For the past 3 months, I have been consistently losing weight (aprox 2lb per week) through exercising vigorously 6-7 days a week with running, 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and other Jillian Michaels videos. I have also been eating 1200-1300 calories a day. So far, I am very happy with my progress.
However, I started p90x classic program last Monday and have gained nearly 2 pounds in one week. I am feeling very discouraged because I have been doing so well with weight loss, and now I am busting my *kitten* off even more and am experiencing weight gain:( My calorie intake has remained the same as before, except I am incorporating a lot more protein in to my diet.
I weighed myself today and the scale read 136, up from 134.6 last week. I want to get down to 125.
I'm not sure if this is just muscle mass, temporary water weight as my sore muscles get used to the new program, or if I am doing something wrong. I am thinking of adding on additional running on upper body strength training days, because Im not sure if p90x has enough cardio to sustain my weight loss goals.
Any advice guys?? Thanks!

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    1. perform the calorie calculation in the nutrition guide. its probably going to have you eat up to 900 calories more then you are eating now.

2. embrace this, give up your former notions of what makes up good nutrion, and allow yourself to experiment with something new for 3 months

3. throw the scale out and just use a tape measure or BF test
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    1. perform the calorie calculation in the nutrition guide. its probably going to have you eat up to 900 calories more then you are eating now.

2. embrace this, give up your former notions of what makes up good nutrion, and allow yourself to experiment with something new for 3 months

3. throw the scale out and just use a tape measure or BF test

^^^^This!! Very good advice!

You're not fat. You look fantastic. Maybe 125 is an unrealistic goal? It's just a number.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Ignore the scale. Tony has said on multiple chats I've seen that women especially didn't show results (scale or otherwise) generally until the second 30 days. He said he knows it is frustrating but to just keep pushing through. Good Luck!!
  • Jackie_Nickle
    Jackie_Nickle Posts: 7 Member
    I'm on week 4 of P90x (my second attempt to get through). When I started I followed the nutrition guide religiously, I lost 10 pounds the first month. But all that food prep and washing those dishes took way too much time so I went back to eating crap and gained it all back. Now I'm doing P90x and just started using MFP last week and lost 3 pounds. That being said I would stick with it for another week or 2 and see if the way your clothes fit changes. Also take your measurements that might be a better indicator. It could be just the added muscle mass or water weight.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Stick with it!!! Don't give up! And increase your calories otherwise you will burn fat and muscle! I am on my 3rd week and also gained but is not fat because we were under calories, is water, is because of sodium and so on...Is a great program and it can do you only good, don't listen to those saying to try for another 2 weeks and than give up, that's crap. By the end of the 3 months you will be happy you stick to it!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Your muscles are just reacting to new stress. They will store a lot of water to help them heal. Try to eat food with a high amount of potassium to help the body remove that excess water. The first week is tough but by week 3 you'll be loving it.
  • aaaron00
    aaaron00 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys! Definitely going to stick with it. Just finished Week 2 of Plyo today.. it's hard but I love it so much. :) I think it just takes some getting used to at first, as all the new workouts will shock your body.
  • aaaron00
    aaaron00 Posts: 16 Member
    For anyone else experiencing initial p90x weight gain, I ended up losing the weight I gained + a little more! Just finished the third week and am already seeing results :) Just stick with it!
  • michelleraebaker
    michelleraebaker Posts: 42 Member
    I am also doing P90X (about the 5th attempt) and I am day 10 with a loss of 1lb.+ per day. You need to up your calories, I know it sounds crazy but you are probably burning more calories than you ever have and you put your body into starvation mode, so it's storing fat and calories. Use the P90X calculator and stick to those calories. You can follow the fat shredder plan where you are mostly eating protien. Also visit Six Pack Smack Down. Com, it's two regular guys who did P90X with crappy results than did it again following the diet with awesome results. The have a lot of good P90X tips. Good Luck!!!!!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Its probably water weight. You're best off comparing your starting weight to your weight after one month.