ACNE

Options

Replies

• mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have got the same problem as you. Ive had this problem since I was 11 years old...
    At 21 I got birth control pills, and after a couple of months my face was as clear as a baby's
    But... A little while later, I got it back,, Only it moved to the chin area and along the jaw line.

I hate it... Im cutting out all the stupid carbs to see if it will help.
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my sons have never had bad acne till they were 18 and 20 . I too have been on the hunt for what would work. We have bought several products with systolic acid and full line of toners ect. None of them were working great. Both of my sons have gone to the dermatologist , two different ones. In my amazement one said to come off of all of the expensive cleaners that they have so many chemicals it makes it worse. They said to use Johnsons and johnsons Purpose they have at Rite aid Cvs ect. The other son I went to GNC and there was a girl who said she had bad acne and she used I think it was grandma or grandpa's soap but it had sulfur in it . The son with the worst acne all over used it and his face was pretty clear when I saw him last except for the redness left by the acne. You can also buy retin A off of the Canadian pharmacy sites to help dry out and help with scars. The honey mask are great too .
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    My mom found that cutting out dairy really helped her skin.

THIS! However, I have a dairy allergy that really manifests in tons of symptoms when I eat it. I don't imagine eating dairy gives everyone acne, but it sure does to me. I feel 100% better when I don't eat it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics might be worth a try. You only take them briefly.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There's really no harm in going to a dermatologist-- just be up-front and tell them you're not interested in a prescription, but they could still be able to offer a professional opinion and at least give you a few ideas of how to combat the symptoms.

Here's something random to consider: Do you often wash your face with very hot water or do you take hot showers? Hot water dries out your skin, and I've noticed that for me personally, though I do not have acne, that if I wash my face with hot water and then forget to moisturize immediately, that my skin is tight and dry the whole day, and sometimes will even break out. Not sure if this helps.
  • jenrome
    jenrome Posts: 7
    Options
    Is your skin oily? Mine is and I still get minor breakouts in my 40s. It just runs in the family. I stopped using foundation at all at about 17 and that helped a lot. I never found one that was good for oily skin. On the other hand, I don't have the wrinkles I should for my age. Swings and roundabouts really. Dry skin doesn't break out as badly but also isn't as elastic. Just try not to squeeze, witch hazel helps heal the spots, accept that you'll have a few and don't let it bother you too much:)
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am 29, and I've had horrible skin - blotchy, breakouts, dry patches, etc. - since I hit puberty. It would drive me nuts, because I could somehow have horribly oily skin AND dry, flaky patches at the same time, with pimples right in the middle of the dry patches. Horrible.

I tried everything - proactiv, prescription, all-natural cleansers, neutrogena, clearasil, a whole range of moisturizers, etc., etc.

In February, my doctor told me he thought I might have a gluten sensitivity, based on some totally unrelated symptoms that I was having (touchy stomach, bad headaches, hair loss, fatigue, among other things). My celiac tests came back negative, but I decided to try a gluten free diet for just a month to see if it made any difference.

Well, it did, but the very first thing I noticed, within just a few days, was that my skin cleared up! Literally for the first time since middle school, I feel comfortable leaving my house without a ton of makeup on to cover up the blemishes and blotches. I just came through my first period ever without a major breakout, and instead of a heavy foundation, I'm wearing a light, tinted moisturizer.

Definitely take a look at your diet and see if there's anything there that might be causing an issue for you. For some people it's dairy, for some it's gluten... there might even be other things. It's not necessarily about eating a lot of junk food (I never really did), it's about eating something that doesn't react well with your body, which can be different for different people. Eating whole grains sounds really healthy, and is often recommended, but for me, it was inadvertently causing me all kinds of problems that could have easily been solved by cutting them out.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My triggers are sweets and greasy foods.

Honestly, I've had really, really bad acne. I have the scarring to prove it. I know you want to do it the natural way... I respect that... but what really works for me now is BC and a sulfur-based face wash.

I suppose it all depends on why you're breaking out. For some, it can be food-related (I've noticed the kind I get from food are distinctly difference from TOM ones. The former looks more like a flat rash. It's weird). However, the very worst of mine, I believe, was caused by hormones and my skin's inability to slough itself in a timely manner. I do not think I could've treated those causes with just different food choices.

Anyway, hope you find your causes!
  • frommichellewithlove
    frommichellewithlove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am a little lactose intolerant... So I try to avoid dairy as much as possible. I drink soy milk, use soy protein for smoothies, etc.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    Try restricting dairy and soy, they commonly contribute to hormonal acne. If that doesn't help I would go on BCPs. I know you don't want to take any prescriptions but its the only thing that helps sometimes because it regulates your hormones (if you find the right one). GL!
    Soy, really?! I wouldn't think soy would do that. What about almond milk then? I try to avoid dairy already, but I am an avid soy milk drinker, as well as other soy products.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    I am 29, and I've had horrible skin - blotchy, breakouts, dry patches, etc. - since I hit puberty. It would drive me nuts, because I could somehow have horribly oily skin AND dry, flaky patches at the same time, with pimples right in the middle of the dry patches. Horrible.

I tried everything - proactiv, prescription, all-natural cleansers, neutrogena, clearasil, a whole range of moisturizers, etc., etc.

In February, my doctor told me he thought I might have a gluten sensitivity, based on some totally unrelated symptoms that I was having (touchy stomach, bad headaches, hair loss, fatigue, among other things). My celiac tests came back negative, but I decided to try a gluten free diet for just a month to see if it made any difference.

Well, it did, but the very first thing I noticed, within just a few days, was that my skin cleared up! Literally for the first time since middle school, I feel comfortable leaving my house without a ton of makeup on to cover up the blemishes and blotches. I just came through my first period ever without a major breakout, and instead of a heavy foundation, I'm wearing a light, tinted moisturizer.

Definitely take a look at your diet and see if there's anything there that might be causing an issue for you. For some people it's dairy, for some it's gluten... there might even be other things. It's not necessarily about eating a lot of junk food (I never really did), it's about eating something that doesn't react well with your body, which can be different for different people. Eating whole grains sounds really healthy, and is often recommended, but for me, it was inadvertently causing me all kinds of problems that could have easily been solved by cutting them out.

That's awesome! I am so happy for you! I actually feel like when I eat more carbs and sugars, I break out more. I may also be sensitive to gluten. UGH our bodies are so complex. I am just sick of adult acne. It comes and goes in cycles, and will be bad for a while, then it will clear up, then come back again, and so on.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    Is your skin oily? Mine is and I still get minor breakouts in my 40s. It just runs in the family. I stopped using foundation at all at about 17 and that helped a lot. I never found one that was good for oily skin. On the other hand, I don't have the wrinkles I should for my age. Swings and roundabouts really. Dry skin doesn't break out as badly but also isn't as elastic. Just try not to squeeze, witch hazel helps heal the spots, accept that you'll have a few and don't let it bother you too much:)

Yes I have oily skin- always have. Even in the winter (which winter to me is 40 degrees, as I live in Houston TX... lol) I hardly ever get dry skin.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    look into diy face masks and exfoliating. there are some really good ones on instructables dot com.

this is one I like
    rub your affected area with a slice of grape fruit (tons of other fruit can be used instead) or skip this step
    mix in the palm of your hand a teaspoon or more of honey and cinnamon
    then rub that on your face, back, where ever.

the other one I really like is honey and uncoated aspirin. make sure it's un coated.
    make a paste with 1 pill and honey in your palm

with either of these rub it around gently, avoiding the eyes
    and wash off as you would anything else.

I also find that using the honey helps to moisturize, i have a hard time finding a moisturizer that
    doesn't make me feel greasy or irritated.

either the aspirin or cinnamon help to exfoliate. they are dirt cheap.
    it takes me more than a year to use my aspirin, since i only use it for this.
    you can also use the aspirin mixed with whatever you like as a spot treatment
    just be careful about leaving it on too long, it can be very drying.

the aspirin has salicylic acid in it, commonly found in some of the more expensive acne products.
    it also helps with the inflammation.

I also found that putting also vera gel helps with the redness sometimes.

you can also find out more about glycolic treatments
    there are some that you can make with fruit.
    if you exfoliate and do the right treatment you
    can prevent any cysts, if that is an issue.
    remember your skin cells are on a 30 day or so cycle
    so make sure you're exfoliating at least a few times in that month.
    most say once a week, but your mileage may vary.

those all sound really awesome! I will have to try some! thank you!
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm 38 and still get acne at times, but it's gotten better since I have lost a lot of weight, and spent more time outside. Some of the other things that have helped:

Switching to SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) free shampoo.
    Switching to Goat Milk based soap
    Using a face cleanser that has salicylic acid in it
    Using benzoyl peroxide daily on any trouble places (nose, chin, etc)

I do still get monthly crop ups, but they're less than they used to be.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Try taking spirulina and chlorella, they do wonders for the skin.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    "but said there was a key to preventing it that had to do with the body's waking and sleeping cycles. Basically, it's best to sleep and wake with the setting and rising sun, "

I seriously doubt when you sleep, as long as you're getting enough sleep, affects acne. especially hormonal acne.
    that is just some kind of myth. If it was that easy we wouldn't need anything else.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    I am 26 and still break out. I, too, tried every topical remedy (seriously, if it existed, i probably tried it) - even tried an anti-biotic medication that I was severely allergic to, so i couldn't take that, either.

My skin is much better now, however and i only break out once a month. Some of the things I did that ended up helping was not using harsh cleansers - avoid cleansers that claim to exfoliate, especially. I know a lot of products market for exfoliating, but it can agitate your skin quite a lot and make acne much worse. When you wash your face with a gentle soap, don't scrub or rub it into your skin much. The skin on your face is very sensitive. I also moisturize twice a day since sometimes breakouts can occur because your skin creates excess oil due to being too dry.

I do drink a lot more water now, as well. You said you drink enough, so that might not be the problem, but definitely stick to drinking lots of water anyway.

And lastly, I did go on the BC pill. It has regulated my hormones and now, when I do break out, it isn't as bad and it much more manageable.

Everyone is different. I'm not saying what works for me will work for you, but if you haven't tried these things, it couldn't hurt. c:

Thank you for your input! I hear the BC suggestion a lot. I would just feel too weird going on it, as I am not sexually active and am waiting until marriage (I know that people still take it just for acne though.) Personal feelings, of course.

I am not trying to knock any kind of medication, but I just have a weird thing about pills. I take vitamins, and one 24 hour allergy pill every day, and that's it.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    I also thought that perhaps caffeine could be the culprit (as I am a coffee FIEND), and successfully limited my coffee/caffeine consumption to a very small amount and it didn't do much good.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    Try taking spirulina and chlorella, they do wonders for the skin.

Really? I have spirulina at home! I just never use it. haha.
  • frommichellewithlove
    Options
    haha, that would entail going to bed quite early wouldnt it? Never heard that one.