Help to understand this program

Options
2»

Replies

• terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question, how do you know for sure your workout burned 3000 calories? Are you wearing a heart monitor, and if not how are you measuring them?

I'm just asking because I am thinking that's a lot of calories for one workout, and I think you said you sometimes burn more that. I know for me, a 5'3" woman of 170 lbs, I'd have to put in 7 hours walking on the treadmill to burn 3,000 calories. I'm just concerned that you are overestimating the amount of calories you're burning.
    I don't MFP is doing for me. I don't know how much calories I burn this site telling me that information.

After I got a Heart rate monitor I found that a lot of the calories burnt information that MFP has was overestimated. I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that calories is totally individualized based on weight/age and so on.

So if you and I did the same exercise our calories burnt would be different if our ages and weight are different.

Just my .02:)
  • nolife1980
    nolife1980 Posts: 14
    Options
    Just a quick question, how do you know for sure your workout burned 3000 calories? Are you wearing a heart monitor, and if not how are you measuring them?

I'm just asking because I am thinking that's a lot of calories for one workout, and I think you said you sometimes burn more that. I know for me, a 5'3" woman of 170 lbs, I'd have to put in 7 hours walking on the treadmill to burn 3,000 calories. I'm just concerned that you are overestimating the amount of calories you're burning.
    I don't MFP is doing for me. I don't know how much calories I burn this site telling me that information.

After I got a Heart rate monitor I found that a lot of the calories burnt information that MFP has was overestimated. I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that calories is totally individualized based on weight/age and so on.

So if you and I did the same exercise our calories burnt would be different if our ages and weight are different.

Of course I agree 100% first of all you're beautiful young and female and your weight if much different then my. If karenmi 5'3" woman and 170 lb will put extra 160 lb weight on her self then she will not needed 7 hours on treadmill to burn 3000 calories. About MFP site I find out few more wrong information. I setup my site to show me Calories, Carbs, Sugar and Protein. And I put sweet tea in the morning. Site show me the sweet tea has no sugar, and no carbs.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am kind new here only for few weeks, and I am confuse a little. I setup the information in the program and program figure out for me how many calories I can eat a day. But when I put some serious exercise the amount calories jump sometime to 9000 calories a day. I don't think I ever eat in my life 9000 calories a day. How I going to lose weight if I have to eat that much calories?
    NoLife1980

Strewth! Even Olympic swimmers are not on that amount each day, I can see your predicament here :laugh:

If all the info you stuck in, re your weight, food and exercise is correct, there is no way you could stuff yourself silly like that everyday and lose any weight. Put it this way, you can simply eat what you want and still be in the required deficit to lose the lbs.

9000 calories!!! I can't get over that! :noway:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    With all respect to all of you. I speak with dietitian and she told me simple formula. You have to eat less calories a day then you burn and then you'll lose weight. Here I have to eat a lot more calories (my daily calories + exercise calories) put together and the I will look like my refrigerator :smile: Can any one imagine eat 9000 calories a day? Even half of that is still 4500 plus your daily calories. I just don't get it... sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
    Best wishes to all of you
    NoLife1980

Your dietician is 100% correct, if you eat MORE calories than you use up each day, your body will automatically store it as fat - hence the weight gain.

Sometimes I think people forget that it is simply if you use up more calories than you take in each day, you will lose weight.

Go to "tools" and go to "BMR", fill in the info and see what it comes up with. If it comes up with your BMR is 2500 calories per day, make sure you eat below that and at the end of the week if you are in a deficit of 3500 calories you will lose one pound.

Forget all this 9000 calories lark, do that and you will end up putting on the weight and that is not what you want obviously, because if it was you would not be here. :wink:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Of course I agree 100% first of all you're beautiful young and female and your weight if much different then my. If karenmi 5'3" woman and 170 lb will put extra 160 lb weight on her self then she will not needed 7 hours on treadmill to burn 3000 calories. About MFP site I find out few more wrong information. I setup my site to show me Calories, Carbs, Sugar and Protein. And I put sweet tea in the morning. Site show me the sweet tea has no sugar, and no carbs.

Yes, you are right about that, there is a difference in weight, etc. (oh and thanks for the compliment!!). I would burn a lot more calories if I weighed more, 'tis true. But if you want to know exactly how many calories you're burning, don't go by the estimateson MFP, as I too have found they are way too high. Get a good heart monitor and use it every time you exercise, that way you will have an accurate measurement of your exercise calories and be able to calculate how much to eat every day.

Good luck with your journey!!!!
  • karenmi
    Options
    Sorry, I noticed one more thing....you had set that originally you had set your profile up as "sedentary" and then changed it to "very active". Now we'll need someone else's help here, but I work out at least an hour every day but my day-to-day life is an office job so I set myself up at the lowest level of daily activity. The workouts, gardening, etc. would get counted as exercise on top of that.

Perhaps that's where the bust is? If you have set yourself up as very active, then putting the exercise on top of that, maybe that's why it's telling you to eat 9,000 calories a day.

Comments anyone?
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I noticed one more thing....you had set that originally you had set your profile up as "sedentary" and then changed it to "very active". Now we'll need someone else's help here, but I work out at least an hour every day but my day-to-day life is an office job so I set myself up at the lowest level of daily activity. The workouts, gardening, etc. would get counted as exercise on top of that.

Perhaps that's where the bust is? If you have set yourself up as very active, then putting the exercise on top of that, maybe that's why it's telling you to eat 9,000 calories a day.

Comments anyone?

If you have yourself set up as very active I would only log exercise when it wasn't something in your normal daily routine. That's like counting the calories you burn twice (first with increasing activity level then again when adding exercise).

Listen to your body though. If you are eating plenty of fiber and protien but still getting hungry you might not be eating enough.

A HRM or a body bug might be a good idea for the OP. That way he could really see how many calories he was burning a day and what he should be eating to stay at a healthy deficit.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options

Comments anyone?

If you have yourself set up as very active I would only log exercise when it wasn't something in your normal daily routine. That's like counting the calories you burn twice (first with increasing activity level then again when adding exercise).

Listen to your body though. If you are eating plenty of fiber and protien but still getting hungry you might not be eating enough.

A HRM or a body bug might be a good idea for the OP. That way he could really see how many calories he was burning a day and what he should be eating to stay at a healthy deficit.

Right. I left out that part in my original post. If you set your lifestyle to "very active" you would not need to add in the exercise that is part of your average day. You would only put in exercise when you do something that is not part of your average day.
  • nolife1980
    nolife1980 Posts: 14
    Options

Comments anyone?

Right. I left out that part in my original post. If you set your lifestyle to "very active" you would not need to add in the exercise that is part of your average day. You would only put in exercise when you do something that is not part of your average day.
    I just quote all of you because everybody talk about same subject. How I understand this is, for some people going on walk from them home to next county is exercise. For other is work, so how you would distinguished for which of you is work or exercise? moreover sometime we do cut the grass, is that part of day work or part of exercise? We can talk that way forever because for some people daily work is work, for others exercise. And setup my self to "very-active" declassify me from doing any exercise because would be part of my work even when I doing stuff for fun.
  • karenmi
    Options
    When you set your goals it asks you if your job is sedentary (desk job like me), then goes up from there. You should be able to figure out what your normal daily activity is and if it's "Very Active" and you spend most of your day doing "heavy physical activity" then that's what you would choose. You know best which one applies to you.

Your exercise calories would come from any "intentional" exercise, like working out, walking, biking, etc.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it and soon it will all fall into place!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    If you set your profile to "very active" you would not count your typical daily work as exercise... however, anything that is not part of a typical day would be exercise.

An example. My lifestyle is set to sedentary. I still don't count my daily routine (grocery shopping, childcare) as exercise. I would count mowing the lawn as exercise (if I did it, which I don't!) because that is not part of my daily routine. However, I have friends who have lawn care businesses and mowing lawns, etc. is part of their daily job. *They* would set their profile to active or whatever and not count mowing the lawn for 6+ hours as day as exercise. However, they could count anything else they do as exercise -- working out in the gym, playing ultimate frisbee, running in the mornings...