Just started working FT, how do you fit in workouts???

Options
I'm new here, and hoping that I can get some good ideas of how to fit in workouts during my day. For the past 8 years I've been home with my boys, and now I'm back to work, and it sucks!! Workout-wise, at least :) I used to be able to take my time, do some yoga, then cardio or weights if I wanted to, never really worrying about how long it took. But now, I get up at 6 and I get home by 4:30, and it seems like the rest of my day is spent being with the kids, making dinner, getting ready for tomorrow, etc.

How do working people with kids fit in time to workout?

I could get up at 5, but that sounds pretty awful. :) I only have a 30 min lunch break, and I know I could fit in a quick walk, but judging by how fat I've gotten, it's going to take more than that! I don't have a gym membership, but I do have tons of DVDs (30 day shred, Tae Bo, etc) and a weight bench/free weights, and I love doing yoga.
I know that I need to start getting serious about the calorie counting, but working out makes me feel good, and helps motivate me to keep on eating better, so I know it's going to be important for me to get it in my day.

Does anyone have any good tips? Do any of you find ways to work out during the work day, or do you find ways before or after?

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You've given yourself your answer already. Wake up at 5, go for a walk at lunch...I don't think most people "find" time to work out, they make time. Pop in a DVD right after the kids go to bed or ask your SO to make dinner a few times a week so you can squeeze one in?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I get up early a few days to run before work (we're talking 4.30 am), I go to yoga straight after work. I get home around 7.30. Weekends are awesome, you can take your time with longer runs etc.

I'm single and while my social life sort of suffers during the week I don't mind as these are my priorities. I understand that for you, with family, it might not be feasible to work out straight after work.

5am is actually not a bad time to be up and you'll feel like a badass for the rest of the day. Otherwise, could you make time after your boys go to sleep? Alternatively your office might be open to flex-time allowing you a longer lunch to hit up a gym midday (a lot of places will do a few lunch classes).

In the end it's all about priorities (awesome read: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/26/priorities/)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My day starts at 530. Mon-Fri, my girls are at their childcare by 745. If I'm working an opening shift, then my workout gets done either right after work if I'm working a shorter shift (I work a crazy mix of 6,8, and 10 hour shifts), so that I'm home by the time the girls are home, or after their bedtime if I'm on a longer shift. If I'm working a later shift, I head to the gym after dropping the girls off, then get ready for work.

The hard thing is realizing that you and your workouts are a priority, and deserve the time. I'm a far better mother and worker when I get my workouts in, and it is far from selfish to take the time to do them.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Get up at 5.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's all about finding and scheduling time in your day or evening. I run my own pet spa business full time, work one-two days a week at a small bookstore, and am attending a course to become a Yoga Instructor. Time management definitely comes into play! I always have a good 90 minute break at about 1:30, that is when I get my butt to the gym. If I am working till 5, then I get my butt to them gym after my dinner.

It's all about finding that time that works best for you, carving out that time and keeping it.

Good luck!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I just finished working 18 days straight of ten hour shifts. I still lifted 3/week. It's a matter of whether or not it is a priority for you. If it is, you will make the time.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, and getting up at 5am would make me an angry miserable b!tch the rest of the day.

If it was me, I would pop in a DVD as soon as the kids are in bed, and workout then.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym or get a workout in after putting the baby to bed at 7:30. My husband stays with the kids during that time. Sometimes I get up at at 4 to hit the gym. I can't work out during lunch as I'm a teacher.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I have kids, a commute, and other commitments. My day starts at 4:30am, so there's no time for a morning workout without becoming a vampire. I make time after work and on the weekend. I go to a bootcamp class mon and wed nights for an hour. It kicks my butt sufficiently for the work week. I do the same class on sat mornings before we run off to soccer games, etc. I fit in highly strenuous workouts that give me the most bang for my hour.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have always worked full time. Before DH and kids I would work out after work. After DH and kids that became impossible! What with pick up/drop off, meals, clean up, activities, etc. At some point I switched to lunch time workouts. That worked for a couple of years until I got too busy at work. Then I reluctantly started working out in the morning. Not my favorite or optimum - but it works! It has become a habit and I now look forward to it. It is especially nice to get it over with early in the day and not have to use "spare energy" later in the day. Give it a try. I started off slow and light - easy, 30 minute workouts - then I built up to more intensity. Good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I went back to work full time in the fall too. I drag myself out of bed now at 5am and get a workout in. I workout at home, currently using Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, when I get home from work I for a 30-45 minute run. But lucky for me I don't have much of a commute.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Last year until I got sick I was doing 5am workouts. At first it was so tough, I went jogging around the neighbourhood. After a week or two I started really enjoying the headspace and adjusted. I hate working out after work, it stops me from sleeping. Also found after doing good it in the morning I had more energy through my day, was more alert and happier.

I was working 3/12-4 days though. Would have been much harder if I worked full time. You do adjust though for sure. Just don't so it every single day. Maybe have Tuesday and Thursday mornings off, and just got for a stroll those evenings if you up to it. For. Your mental health if nothing else!.

Zara :-)
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 am to work out. Or I do it as soon as I get home from work.

Mothers tend to take care of everybody but themselves, so you just have to be a little "selfish" and make time for yourself. Let your husband fix dinner a couple nights a week, help the kids with homework and get them ready for bed so that you can have 30 minutes for your workout.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I work 50 hours a week, and also have my own business on the side that equates to another full time job in my "off hours," but somehow I get to the gym 6 days a week because I HAVE to. It's just a matter of priority. If I didn't work out I would be suicidal and homicidal. It's better for everyone and myself if I make the time. If it is something you really need to do, you will figure it out and make everyone around you adjust accordingly. I get rolled eyes a lot from people I've committed my time to - when they come second to my workouts, but in the end I am better for it whether they realize it or not!
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a single Mom. I let my daughter (4 years old) watch an episode of My Little Ponies while I do a video or bodyweight exercises. I also get a lot of our stuff ready for the whole week on Sunday, so that I have a little bit more time in the evenings during the week.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I get mine at the moment by cycling in to work and back.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have to leave the house about 6:10 to have my son at daycare at 6:30 to be at work by 7. Work until 3:30 or 5, depending on the day.

I have my alarm set at 3:15. I don't usually get up at that time, but after hitting snooze 2 or 3 times, I can drag myself out of bed with enough time to get in a 30 minute workout. I STRONGLY prefer doing it in the morning. Because I'm usually pooped at the end of the day, and I'd rather have that time after work to hang with the family, do dinner/chores, and whatnot. Plus, that morning workout gives me energy for the day.

Weekends, I try to make my workouts an hour long.

I also only get 30 minutes for lunch. I walk for 15 minutes of it every day. Because every little bit helps.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't have kids. But I would say either wake up earlier.. this way its done and out of the way. Or, it will be waiting until your children go to sleep and doing it then...(but chances are at that point in time you wont want to do it... start out committing to 30 minutes...then up it from there..eventually your body wont hate you for waking up at 5am!! Good Luck!! :)
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I mix it up ... Sometimes before, at times during lunch and for the most part after 8:00 at night (visits with Mom after work limits exercise time even more). The important part for me is to "Just Do It!"
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just sent you a friend request because I'm in the same boat. I'm a career loving parent that works full-time and movement has been the hardest part of my journey. Food hasn't been that hard (but don't judge by the the last 2 days because I've been celebrating my birthday) because I have the time to not eat -- ha ha. I'm also a single mom 1/2 the year because my hubs is a commercial fisherman. I know what I've gotta do: get up an hour early, do myJillian Michael's DVD, shower,and start my day --- Plus, workout with my kid on the weekend (skate, ski, sled, hike, etc). So far, I've done the weekend stuff but the weekday has been touch n go at best. Let's do this together!!!