using caffeine to get motivated to workout.......

Options
Is this bad? To get myself all hopped up on b vitamins and caffeine. Honestly its the only way I have enough energy to get up in the morning and work out. I just feel like I am cheating....... I should add that I have depression and anxiety..... working on finding someone to help medicated me for that. Until then, seems like I'm stuck with caffeine.

Before everyone starts telling me to eat healthy I would like you to look at my diary. Of course I slip up but I am fairly confident that I eat pretty healthy.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife raspberry tea in the morning as my jump start. Gets me going. I don't see anything wrong with it. Most people have coffee. I used to drink Mtn. Dew. "Used to"!! Good luck on meds. I too have depression. Fluoxatine works for me.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    bump..if caffeine is the way to go, im gunna have to start trying it..i have zero motivation..good luck:drinker:
  • Danyon_H
    Danyon_H Posts: 1
    Options
    It's fine as long as you take regular breaks to give your nervous system a rest from all the stimulants and to decrease your tolerance. I usually use caffeine for two weeks and then supplement with a 4 week rest period were I avoid all stimulants.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Aside from your other circumstances...I'm pretty sure there are a lot of us that live and die by caffeine! Especially me! I love my Cuban coffee and Espresso....so don't beat yourself up!
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I pop a Clif Shot Blok right at the start of my elliptical, and the ones I get have a little shot of caffeine in them.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like to have a small coffee before I lift weights on Fridays or weekends .... avoid having the coffee on weekdays since I lift at night and don't want to keep myself up longer.

I find a small coffee does give me a nice boost for weight training but who knows if it's placebo or what. A lot of ppl seem to like doing it at my gym, you always see people sneaking in a small or medium coffee as they check in.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking caffeine and taking b-vitamins for energy is cheating. I mean, if it wasn't for my coffee in the morning, I would be dead to the world. Some studies have shown that drinking a cup of coffee before a workout is beneficial because you have more energy, so you workout harder. Just so long as you aren't drinking those crazy energy drinks. Those things are horribly bad for you. I take a b-vitamin supplement when I am having an "off" day..... don't worry too much about it if you are having tea or coffee..... but again I say, I sure hope it isn't coming from an energy drink. I have also suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life... so I understand what you are saying. One thing I hope you will find, is working out will actually help with it. I have found since I started really working out habitually 7 years ago, my depression is well controlled. When I have slacked off on it, then I find that it sneaks up on me again....anyway, I hope that this helps! Good luck.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have to drink a cup of coffee in the mornings to wake up. It gets me started for my day and gets me ready for my workout before my day begins. Nothing wrong with caffeine to get you going.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I can't have caffeine because it makes me anxious, caffeine could actually be a big no part of your problem!!!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Some people drink coffee or tea. Some pop/shot B12. Others mainline methamphetamine. Or, no wait - that's not advised.

I see no problem.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love 5 hour Energy!

And yes, before the lectures start, I have 1. Maybe 2x a week.
    Not more than 1 a day on the days I do.

But when I need the energy it comes in really handy.

so, have at it. Just be aware and dont od.

At least your moving.

:)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with using it for exercise. I'm not sure that caffeine's great for anxiety though. Both depression and anxiety can really zap your energy, so hopefully if you can get some help with those, you'll be less tired anyway.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can't have caffeine because it makes me anxious, caffeine could actually be a big no part of your problem!!!

I would agree if I haven't had these problems since I was a kid. Though they probably don't help either.
    It's fine as long as you take regular breaks to give your nervous system a rest from all the stimulants and to decrease your tolerance. I usually use caffeine for two weeks and then supplement with a 4 week rest period were I avoid all stimulants.

I defiantly take breaks. I build a tolerance to medication at a rate usually found in bears and rhinos. Seriously.

Thank you everyone!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have to have caffeine so I dont kill people, i would say its a good thing
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If loving coffee is wrong...I don't want to be right lol. I am willing to lose weight and eat healthier, but giving up coffee will NEVER work for me! I have no caffeine related problems unless you count being addicted to coffee a problem! Good luck with your weight loss and please try to lighten up on yourself!!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Caffeine feeds anxiety. I don't recommend it. You will find you are more relaxed if you cut it out of your diet.

Are you getting enough sleep? How are your vitamin d levels? (Low levels can manifest themselves in depression and anxiety.)

What about drinking a smoothie with fats, carbs, and protein, e.g. frozen berries and regular yogurt? This would make sure you get all kinds of energy sources in your body.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

QFT.

I don't take any other stimulants though. Just coffee and plain unsweetened black tea or green tea if I want that.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^^This.

I drink coffee for others' protection.

That, and it's unlikely I would get vertical without it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    honey-boo-boo-3.gif

I always caffeinate. Especially before a race!
  • Teri0329
    Teri0329 Posts: 12
    Options
    2 cups of coffee is what I have every morning before my work out. I'd never make it to the gym and work out for an hour - starting at 6:30 a.m. if I didn't.

LOVE my coffee! 2 cups a day isn't going to hurt anyone! (unless it affects your other issues, of course).