Whole milk or skimmed milk?

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% milk. Sometimes I crave whole milk and I will drink it then. I would not do skim milk at all. You do need some fat.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    People keep repeating that whole milk is good for you...Since when?
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say switch to something like 1% or 2% first it has the calories and the fat and the taste is a bit closer to what you are use to drinking skim milk. We stick with 2% in our house for the most part everyone likes the taste and I feel its a good balance of healthy fats and nutrients. HTH.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I always drink whole milk. Fats in milk are good for you. That's a very healthy way to increase your calories.

Agreed. Whole milk tastes lovely (coffee isn't the same without it!) and as long as you count the calories, you will be fine. It's a really good way to boost your calories (as is a spoon of coconut oil in your coffee, cream on your fruit and peanut butter eaten straight from the jar!). This whole obsession that others have with fat-free and/or no dairy has little basis in fact.
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for your macros. I am always over on fat so I drink skim
    Options
    Have you considered soy milk?

Whole cow's milk has 146 calories per serving. It's macro ratio is 30/49/21.

Unsweetened soy milk has 120 calories per serving. It's macro ratio is 15/45/40.

So if you switched to soy milk, you'd get a comparable amount of calories but twice the protein!

If you want to split it into good and bad fats, the fat in milk is a high percentage of saturated fat. It's the exact same fat that's in butter (butter is just isolated milk fat). Do you consider butter a healthy fat?

I actually don't think milk fat is necessarily unhealthy in moderation but I suggest you do some research for yourself because there's a lot of conflicting advice out there. But anyway, if you want a protein boost, try soy milk!

It is not possible for me to agree more! I have a vegan relative who weighs 250 lbs. And it aint muscle. We do need some fats even the saturated fats. It is trans fat you need to worry about avoiding.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Has everyone forgotten about semi-skimmed milk? Middle ground!

(Not that I drink it, but when I do drink milk, which is rare, I drink the blue-top milk that mum buys, so whole. But semi-skimmed isn't too bad to get accustomed to if you don't like skimmed and don't want to drink whole!)
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk personally. It keeps me fuller longer, so I don't need a lot...and I really just use it in my coffee.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The OP is trying to get more calories, not less because she's having difficulty achieving her calorie goal.

OP...yes, switching to whole milk is a good thing so long as you're keeping your overall saturated fats in check. I personally do 2%, but I don't do a whole lot of dairy...it is a very minimal part of my diet.

I recommend cooking with some olive oil...olive oil is chalk full of heart healthy monounsaturated fats....sounds like you're already doing the nuts and nut butters. I'd also recommend some avocado...lots of nutrients and health benefits associated with avocado.

I know she's trying to increase her calories. She's concerned about the fat, so I was giving her an alternative that was close in calories that might fit her macros better.

Seriously, it's only 26 less calories. o_O
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a milk drinker. It fine for cereal and coffee, but not not just to drink. But if I had to drink it it has to be whole. Skim does nothing for me. Funny thing is I've always been a half & half guy in my coffee. That was one of the things I cut out to help reduce calories. I made the switch totally to unsweetened almond milk. I'm totally used to it now and actually really like it. I'll even drink it!
  • lharper01
    lharper01 Posts: 29
    Options

Unsweetened soy milk has 120 calories per serving. It's macro ratio is 15/45/40.

So if you switched to soy milk, you'd get a comparable amount of calories but twice the protein!

If you want to split it into good and bad fats, the fat in milk is a high percentage of saturated fat. It's the exact same fat that's in butter (butter is just isolated milk fat). Do you consider butter a healthy fat?

I actually don't think milk fat is necessarily unhealthy in moderation but I suggest you do some research for yourself because there's a lot of conflicting advice out there. But anyway, if you want a protein boost, try soy milk!

Idk about OP, but yes, I do consider butter a healthy fat. Much better than margarine or canola oil. I prefer whole raw milk. I make room for it in my calorie counts.
    Options

Idk about OP, but yes, I do consider butter a healthy fat. Much better than margarine or canola oil. I prefer whole raw milk. I make room for it in my calorie counts.

Just curious here, why in the world is everyone suddenly against canola oil? What did I miss?
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I don't think canola oil is any worse than butter, health-wise. All of those isolated oils seem the same to me, mostly empty calories micronutrient-wise. I think it's healthier to get your fat from whole sources (nuts, avocados, olives, seeds, and if you're into eating animals then full fat cuts of meat, eggs, and dairy).

Of course I don't plan my food well enough to get all my fat from whole foods. I rarely manage to get enough fat so I'm going to keep the oils around.
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big milk fan so if I drink a glass it's for the calcium. Skim has much more calcium. Just because there's more room for it. So I get more bang for my buck. But I have young kids so I'm more often using their whole milk. I do prefer full fat cottage cheese and yogurt (unless it's Greek). Most low/non-fat options in cottage cheese and yogurt have additives that I don't care for like carrageenan. I think Greek yogurt without fat usually doesn't have additives because the protein makes it thicker without the need.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me, milk just seemed an ideal way to boost my calories up without having to eat something processed or unhealthy to do so..

I consume on average about 580-880ml of milk daily, that includes 2 protein shakes, a coffee and a boal of oatmeal in the morning (I always measure my milk).

And when whole milk is 30 calories more per 100ml than skimmed, it seemed like an easy way to add 174-264 extra calories into my day.

I'm aware there's more fat and I will keep a close eye on my macros - but surely drinking whole milk is a better option than reaching for a 300 calorie chocolate bar to boost my cals!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Dairy fat is healthy, so if you're looking to increase your calories, bumping up the fat % of your dairy is a great way.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Yeah, what everyone else says, whatever works for your macros. If you can afford to have a few more calories and a little extra fat then whole milk is a good alternative to skim.

Also everyone is throwing around the term almond milk and soy milk - it doesn't exist. It is almond juice and soy juice, milk comes from a teat and there is no almond or soy teat. :D
  • fitnessbuilding
    Options
    Skim milk is better for your waistline. Since it contains virtually no fat, but it is really worth of sacrificing the taste of whole milk . :):)
  • Luciapdn30
    Luciapdn30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use unsweeten almond milk :)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Skim milk has less calories and less fat.