What to eat to up your calories!

Options
So! Today I have upped my calories based on my BMR and TDEE!!

I have an inkling that I'm going to struggle to eat the extra calories AND make the right food choices! I'm guessing that I'm not going to get away with making up those extra cals with choccy and ice cream! Lol So I'd basically like to know some of the things that you guys snack on to reach your calorie goal while still staying within your fat and carb limits. Or is it a case of eating bigger meals?

Any helpful input would be much appreciated! :)

Replies

• EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Every night (usually) I have Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and/or granola mixed in. Great way to get a good dose of extra protein with very low or no fat. And if I do have some fat macros left to splurge, I might stir in a few dark chocolate chips. ;) Interested in others' tips too...
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am also upping my calories and instead of 1 protein shake in the morning, I plan on having 2 or 3 throughout the day. They are easy to make, easy to "down", yummy and healthy. I throw in a banana and some frozen berries and they can easily be 300 or 400 calories.
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Usually some dairy, like a glass of milk with my lunch or some Greek yogurt as a snack. If needed, I also have an extra pat of butter on my vegetables. A very easy way to up my calories is a serving of nuts, like walnuts or cashews. I don't worry about the fat content in nuts because they contain the "good fats", and one serving a day won't do much damage.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks peeps :) I love yoghurt, nuts and milk so win win! :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nuts like almonds and pistachios are higher in calories and full of healthy fats:)

My favorite snack is either Chobani (non-fat for me) or Nature Valley Oats and Honey bars. Those buggers are addictive!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I have an inkling that I'm going to struggle to eat the extra calories AND make the right food choices! I'm guessing that I'm not going to get away with making up those extra cals with choccy and ice cream! Lol So I'd basically like to know some of the things that you guys snack on to reach your calorie goal while still staying within your fat and carb limits. Or is it a case of eating bigger meals?

It really depends on what your macros are set to. What are you deficient in? What do you have excess of? Eating bigger meals is a start. Adding things like nuts to salads etc is a better start. But I found that eating more calorie dense food was more helpful then that. I can put down many cups of salad now, I definitely wouldn't have been able to jump to that initially.

fats: seeds/Nuts, avocado are my favorite

protein: Adding greek yogurt to think, drinking milk with my meals, snacking on seeds and nuts

If I have anything wet like oatmeal or yogurt I tend to add things to it such as dried fruit, nuts, seeds, holy crap cereal, cinnamon, cocoa, everything etc lol
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

NUTELLA! (My standard answer.)
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Unpopular opinion, but honestly, it doesn't matter WHAT you're eating, as long as you're not overeating.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    peanut butter....lots of peanut butter.....
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Honestly, ice cream. I make sure to hit my protein goal for the day and with the extra calories I have dessert. If my protein is low for the day then I usually make a protein bar sundae (chocolate brownie Quest protein bar, natural ice cream and strawberries) with a protein shake.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Unpopular opinion, but honestly, it doesn't matter WHAT you're eating, as long as you're not overeating.

I agree completely. As long as you are getting within your calorie goal and hitting any macros you are concerned about (for me I only care about protein) then it doesn't matter what you eat.
  • kdlepage
    kdlepage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pistachios in your low fat greek yogurt
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Veg sticks with houmous, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, cereal, ham salad wrap, pb+j, hard boiled eggs, tin of tuna
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nuts is what I go for - raw almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts. Lot of bang for the buck there :)
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble eating properly as of late as I've completely lost my appetite but I'm trying to make more of an effort, even if I don't feel like it.

Some things I'm trying to work towards: having a glass of milk (I consume full fat anyway, but maybe you could switch to that if you're not already), Greek yoghurt with fruit, putting seeds on my morning porridge and/or with the yoghurt, an extra spoonful of peanut butter, cheese on crackers, a handful of nuts (I loooooove cashews!), snacking on boiled eggs, adding oil to salad as the dressing, and so on.

Some I do anyway, but really to up it. Good thing is, most of these are very calorie dense but far healthier choices than chocolate (nothing wrong with a treat though! :)) and not hugely filling.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some yummy ideas here that I look forward to incorporating into my diet! :) Bring on the peanut butter!!! :D