Down 60 pounds.. still feel as big as ever.

Options
I'm now down 60 pounds from my all time high. It has been a SLOW process. It has been 2 years since I was at that weight, and I have had my ups and downs along the way. I still have 90 pounds to go, so I am certainly not at a healthy weight. I tend to avoid being in front of mirrors, and having my picture taken. Well, today, on a good day weight wise, I happened to see myself in the mirror and it wasn't a good feeling.

When I saw myself in the mirror, I looked and thought " You're still as damn fat, as ever", even though it's not true. I was just about in 4x shirts at my highest weight. I probably should have been, but I stayed in too tight 3x shirts. Now I am in 2x shirts, with the occasional 3x that still fits. My waist is about 8" smaller.

The weight loss has been so slow, I guess, that nobody seems to notice that I am down 60 pounds. Nobody is saying a word to me about me losing weight. It would be nice to have somebody notice. It would also be nice to actually FEEL like I am 60 pounds lighter as I still feel like I am going to birth a cow. That said, I am sure I must have felt a lot worse when I was 60 pounds heavier; it just that it was so long ago that I probably just can't remember it.

Anyway, this isn't really a "woe is me" post. When I got on the scale today, I was THRILLED to see 267.4.

Even though I still feel as big as ever, I am also starting to see my next goal some into range.... getting into the 250's.

So, a message to all.... just keep on truckin'. Keep plugging away. Don't give up. the fight. :smile:

Replies

• alexpl91
    alexpl91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    congratulations!! slow weight loss is the THE hardest to see through to the end. so proud of you :)
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm proud of everybody who really tries. :)
  • Bronwyn9
    Bronwyn9 Posts: 17
    Options
    60 lbs is a lot! Go to a garden center today and lift a bag and a half of potting soil. That's what you've lost! I promise this will make it all seem more real.

Get outside today and try something you think you can't do. Step over some obstacles, climb on a chair to change a light bulb, walk around the block.... I bet you can do it a lot easier than you could 60 lbs ago.

Hang in there! No one noticed my weight loss until I'd lost over 60 lbs, too. Your compliments are coming soon!
    Oh, and take a photograph today so you can look back in a few months and see how much you've lost from here on out!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    this helps me visualize the weight loss

http://www.modelmydiet.com
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You're doing really great! I think sometimes when you have more to lose people don't want to say anything even if they do notice. I know I've kept my mouth shut at times when people lost a lot of weight because I didn't want to be insensitive. I've lost 70lbs and it's super obvious now, but no one said anything for the longest time, and they still don't. There are a lot of times where I didn't feel like I was different at all despite the weight changes, or I was equally as unsatisfied with a lower weight as I was with the starting weight, which seemed unfair. It's like my mind thought weight should be a sliding scale of happiness. Like if you're halfway to your goal, you should be 50% happier with yourself, but it doesn't work that way.

Find a picture of your starting weight and compare it to one now. Set yourself mini goals. Those are the little things that keep me going and keep me proud of myself even when I feel like it hasn't "paid off" yet. I know someone mentioned on MFP having a jar of marbles or pennies where with each pound you move one to another jar to help you see the progress in another way. For me I have that chart that has been going around MFP that says the equivalent to what you've lost, like 33lbs is a small microwave, etc. So I cross those off as I go along.

I like the website another poster added. I also go to http://www.mybodygallery.com they have different heights and weights of women, and I like to look at pictures of other people to get an idea of how far I've come. It helps to be objective when you see it on someone else. I'm also starting to realize that the weight I'm at isn't that bad, in fact I really like how it looks on other women, I'm just having to deal with my own bias against myself.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! 60 pounds down is nothing to sneeze at. Now, you just need to get some pics taken so that YOU can see and feel the difference.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Its hard to realize just how far you've come so far but don't give up! 60 lbs is amazing! I've only lost about 10 so far but ya know what? I couldn't be happier. Not for the weight loss, but because I'm so proud of myself for finally deciding to make myself and my health a priority. This is the most important step to take and you took it! Good for you!

It's going to be a long road, but you've got this! And we will all be here to cheer you along as you go!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    congratulations on the 60 lbs! You've done fantastic! I'm right there with you. I've lost 65 about 35 to go to my first goal. Then probably another 20. It's taken me 14 months to come this far. Probably another year or two to loose what I have to go. It can be disheartening to loose slowly but I've heard that is the best way to loose. We can do it. Have faith in yourself!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am at the same point in my loss. It is frustrating. However I am trying to remember that I am no longer where I was and I still have someplace to look forward to. Keep it up. Slow progress is ok.
  • motown13
    Options
    Thank you all. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.... I would just LOVE to have one month where I drop 10 pounds. That would make it feel so much better, you know?
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Two things I do when I'm bummed about how far I have to go. First thing is picture that amount of weight packed on you in ground beef... gross, but pretty accurate. Second, go for a good walk with a weighted pack. I carried my 22 lb son around for 2 hours the other day on my back... once I got him off it felt like I was floating above the ground. I've lose exactly 22 lbs since starting my effort (I was already down a little from pregnancy, but I wasn't trying and it wasn't going anywhere.
    When I am carrying him and getting winded on hills I think, this is how much I was carrying before, all the time.
    I'm not suggesting packing 60 lbs around, but a good heavy backpack should put it into perspective.

I totally get it though, when I lost my almost 100 lbs to skinny five years ago, I was less proud of myself for losing weight and more embarrassed that I had to in the first place
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've got a secret if you want people to notice you've lost weight and say something about it: keep wearing your "fat" clothes until they're swimming on you. People will look at you and say, "Wow! Your clothes are getting huge! You've really lost weight." :D

Sometimes it's hard to realize how much progress we've made until we look at where we've started. I felt the same way after a year of work and only losing 35 lbs, but then I created a side by side of where I started to now and it was really clear I'd made a dent in my weight. Yeah, I know it's frustrating losing all that weight and still feeling like a fata$$ but that's just a negative game your mind is playing with you. You are smaller and healthier and making fabulous progress. :D
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    You are doing a great job,,makes it all seem possible,,,it's like they say, I didnt gain it all in one week, so not going to lose it all in one week. I know if I drop a pound each week I will be 50pounds healthier at year end
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm now down 60 pounds from my all time high. It has been a SLOW process. It has been 2 years since I was at that weight, and I have had my ups and downs along the way. I still have 90 pounds to go, so I am certainly not at a healthy weight. I tend to avoid being in front of mirrors, and having my picture taken. Well, today, on a good day weight wise, I happened to see myself in the mirror and it wasn't a good feeling.

When I saw myself in the mirror, I looked and thought " You're still as damn fat, as ever", even though it's not true. I was just about in 4x shirts at my highest weight. I probably should have been, but I stayed in too tight 3x shirts. Now I am in 2x shirts, with the occasional 3x that still fits. My waist is about 8" smaller.

The weight loss has been so slow, I guess, that nobody seems to notice that I am down 60 pounds. Nobody is saying a word to me about me losing weight. It would be nice to have somebody notice. It would also be nice to actually FEEL like I am 60 pounds lighter as I still feel like I am going to birth a cow. That said, I am sure I must have felt a lot worse when I was 60 pounds heavier; it just that it was so long ago that I probably just can't remember it.

Anyway, this isn't really a "woe is me" post. When I got on the scale today, I was THRILLED to see 267.4.

Even though I still feel as big as ever, I am also starting to see my next goal some into range.... getting into the 250's.

So, a message to all.... just keep on truckin'. Keep plugging away. Don't give up. the fight. :smile:

I didn't see a difference in myself naked until I lost 60 lbs. No one said anything about my weight loss until I was down 75 lbs. It took another 12 lbs for the second person to make a comment. Now at 91 lbs I put on a backpack that weighed about 30 lbs, had a shoulder bag with another 15 or so lbs and picked up my 19 lb niece I was SHOCKED. I don't think I could have managed one more pound yet it didn't equal all my weight loss to date.

I felt EXACTLY like you a few weeks ago. I was THRILLED to be where I was but I just didn't FEEL different. Things I've done since then: go into a real store go get clothes in your old size and go get clothes in your new size. Try them on. I know you're a guy but I am not the least bit into clothes as a girl and this helped. Also start taking pictures of your new self every few weeks. You'll eventually see it and when you can see it you'll feel it.

Finally the most important thing is exactly what you've said: Keep going. Don't give up!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    60 lbs is awesome! Keep up with it, you'll get there.
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Side by side pictures can REALLY do the trick. Something else that helps me is to gather up stuff in the house that weighs as much as you have lost. Do two things: 1) take a picture of it and put in on your fridge for everyone to see just how far you have come. Doesn't matter that it is 2 years. It's gone. 2) CARRY it around for as long as you possibly can. I'm willing to bet you will be proud of yourself again. You've done so well! Congratulations!
  • motown13
    Options
    Haha, you all helped me put it in perspective...... I like to bowl, and use a 15 pound ball...... So that is the weight of 4 bowling balls.... :)

Thanks for making me smile today.
  • motown13
    Options
    FINALLY somebody noticed today.... but he said, LOL, "Looks like you lost 15 pounds or so, eh?" I guess that is better than nothing.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    FINALLY somebody noticed today.... but he said, LOL, "Looks like you lost 15 pounds or so, eh?" I guess that is better than nothing.

What a twit he is! You've doing something remarkable ~~~ you're changing your life! and it will impact your daughters' lives also. Good job:flowerforyou:
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have come to understand that my weight loss is dealing with the emotions I ate instead of emotions I didn't deal with now I am not eating my feelings anymore and I am taking good care of me. I take pics of my progress on my phone every several weeks so I can see It is worth everything we have to put into this,say positive things to yourself about the wonderful qualities you have. Get your toes done do positive things everything will come in time.