What am I doing wrong?

Options
My weight keeps yo-yoing and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
At the end of March I was 253. I have been going to the gym 3-4 days a week, this week I have started running/walking daily. I have been staying under my calories and I don't eat back exercise calories. I drink water green tea and coffee. I stayed off the scale for the last week as it was my TOM which stopped yesterday, I jumped on the scale this morning and it was 266
Normally I would blame it on my TOM but I have had it happen before where my weight would be down in the low 250s and the next day it would be up 10-13 pounds. I'm starting to get very frustrated by the fluctuations, a few pounds I would understand but 10+ seems unnormal and like I'm doing something incorrectly.
What should I change to stop all the yo-yoing?

Replies

• shellymeister
    shellymeister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well i'm not too sure about a lot of it but try to make sure you weigh yourself at roughly the same time every week or however often you weigh yourself. I know that my weight fluctuates throughout the day as I eat and exercise and such so I always weigh myself in the morning to keep it consistent.... Although i'm not sure that could apply for 10lbs+ like you're saying.
  • ton40orbust
    ton40orbust Posts: 155
    Options
    I weigh every day sunday-thursday when I first wake up, unless I'm on my period.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMR?
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day is your goal set at and how many are you eating?
  • annadavidson1984
    annadavidson1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to the DR. and had a good checkup/physical? It could be something along those lines.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP to calculate how many calories you should eat, then you should eat back most of your exercise calories. (Because of estimating errors, most people seem to agree that it's fine to eat only 75-90% back.)

Are you tracking what you eat carefully and correctly? Weighing and measuring?

Do you count only the time you are actually exercising, not the time spent in the gym?

How's your sodium/salt and liquid intake?

How about fiber?

What are you doing to lose weight? To help, it's important to know what you're doing right, not just what you're doing that may not work.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but it sounds like you may be getting too much sodium. That can cause you to retain water. Also stop weighing yourself every day. Just pick one day a week and do it first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom and before you eat or drink anything. Your weight constantly fluctuates. It isn't stable so if you look at it every day, you are going to see those fluctuations. It doesn't mean you screwed up. It means you're normal.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to give advice if you have an open diary
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your food journal. Do you eat anything with lots of salt or MSG? That's usually good for a kilo or more (+2 pounds) of weight in a day. If I go out for dinner at some restaurants, I usually see a 2-4 lb increase from day to day from salt alone. The weight goes back down in another day. But then again, I learned about this the same way you are doing - trial and error.
  • ton40orbust
    ton40orbust Posts: 155
    Options
    I only log time that I spend exercising, My sodium is high on some days but I try to keep it under because my S.O. is on a low sodium thing so I have to cook according to that, and I weight and measure everything while I'm cooking. My BMR is 1946 and MFP says I should be eating 1410.

I will make my diary public but there are a lot of blank days. I have them on my phone app, but if I don't have access to the internet it doesnt sync to my online account. (Its a problem with my phone)
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I only log time that I spend exercising, My sodium is high on some days but I try to keep it under because my S.O. is on a low sodium thing so I have to cook according to that, and I weight and measure everything while I'm cooking. My BMR is 1946 and MFP says I should be eating 1410.

I will make my diary public but there are a lot of blank days. I have them on my phone app, but if I don't have access to the internet it doesnt sync to my online account. (Its a problem with my phone)

I do not think someone should be eating under their BMR....your BMR is just what you need to live. You might not be eating enough. If you did nothing all day long you would burn 1946. I have been told to eat 1000 under my TDEE....which is what I am trying to do now.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE?
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    If the weather has changed from cold to warm you could be retaining water. I retain on hot days and lose on cooler days.