Best cardio routine for weight loss/toning?

Options
13»

Replies

• jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    How about interval workouts ? Something like this - Burn tons of cals:
    http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/leg-circuit/
  • iiwish
    iiwish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why do people think that you can keep the fat you want to keep? ("keep my curves"?).....I don't think exercise works like that.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I alternate between indoor HIIT type cardio and running (weather permitting). when indoors I use a reebok step and 3kg hand weights. 3m fast step ups alternate leading legs after 1:30 then 3m slower steps ups again alternating legs all the time bringing hands to shoulder with the weights. I finish each set with 3m on the floor with push ups, crunches and squats. There is normally time to wipe with a towel and grab a slug of water before repeating the set. I have a warm up and cool down routine sandwiched between 5 sets
  • bondy60
    bondy60 Posts: 1
    Options
    i highly reccomend Beach Body's Brazil Buttlift. Its a great workout for toning and cardio, i have noticed a big difference!
  • Jonette01
    Jonette01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why do people think that you can keep the fat you want to keep? ("keep my curves"?).....I don't think exercise works like that.

YOU may not think so, but people with curves do it all the time. I hate to use Kim K. as an example, but she works out and still maintains her shape, because working out for her isn't about losing weight...it's about toning. Also Buffy the Body and her "Bodynomics" videos shows that as well. I mention these people because they are examples of a body type that can be full and fit.

We know we can't "spot tone" but if you are born naturally curvy, you can of course define your figure more. And if you are born without as many curves, you can build muscle that also provides a sexy definition.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    please somebody stop saying toning

toner is for copiers
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i used to run, but i noticed my knees would hurt when i did it to many times a week
    ive just transitioned over to swimming laps and LOVE it. no ache, full body workout and an excuse for the steam room and shower afterward
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/
    has a lot free routines that are really good.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Spinning has really helped me tone my legs and is a great cardio workout.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I wear weights on my ankles and arms.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I wear weights on my ankles and arms.
    in case someone takes this post seriously. do NOT ever wear any sort of weight on your arms/legs when doing cardio. it will seriouslymess with your joints for badically minimal gain.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I row 3-4 times a week, 6000-8000 meters per session, 30-45 minutes, different resistance and speed..and I find it the best all round cardio workout..and it does tone your entire body..!
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    Using any cardio machine do INTERVALS!

If you're beginner and you easily fall out of breath:

Over 10 to 15 minutes:
    2 minutes - Moderate Level (ex. Level 4 - 5)
    20 seconds - High Intensity (ex. Level 8 - 10)

Keep doing this for the entire 10 to 15 minutes, then really lower the intensity level to cool down.

If you're not so beginner or if you've already lost weight and need a boost:

Over 20 to 30 minutes
    1 minute - Moderate Level (ex. Level 6, 7)
    1 minute - High Intensity (ex. Level 10, 11)
    1 minute - Moderate Level (ex. Level 6, 7)
    1 minute - High Intensity (ex. Level 10, 11)
    2 minutes - Moderate Level (ex. Level 6-7)
    1 minute - High Intensity (ex. Level 10-11)

Ect, and so forth for the whole 20 or 30 minutes, then really lower the intensity level to cool down.

Excellent workout and totally fat burning because these are Intervals.

Emmalee :smile:
  • Jonette01
    Jonette01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    please somebody stop saying toning

toner is for copiers

Toner (n.) may be for copiers...
    but "toning" (present participle of the verb "tone") means to "give greater strength or firmness to" a specific body part.

So yeah...the world obviously doesn't revolve around your personal preferences. But I can assume the "somebody" you were referring to must be yourself.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also really hate running! I love the elliptical too! Lately, I've been trying to change it up by doing the around the world setting and the various intervals! It keeps it fresh. You good also set yourself up a circuit in the gym and change it up that way. Best of luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    barbell training, with an emphasis on dead lifts, squats, overhead press, and bench press.

if you want cardio, just lift weights faster.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    opinions are like..... well, you know. So far you've gotten plenty of good ones here.

Unfortunately there is a lot of narrow mindedness when it comes to working out. Everyone thinks their routine is the right routine. For them maybe it is, but it might not be for you. Obviously there are things that will work better for one goal over the other, but that doesn't mean you should do something you don't enjoy.

The best option is one you will do consistently. Pick something, if you don't like it, don't be afraid to change your mind. You will learn along the way what you like and what you don't.

This is such great advice. I don't enjoy certain exercise, so I simply don't do them. I have plenty of routines I do love, so getting to the gym is a true PLEASURE not a chore.

My workouts include spin for HIIT; swimming and Vinyasa Flow yoga for strength.
    I don't enjoy lifting weights so I simply don't do it.

I love all three of them so much - I choose to do them for fun in my free time.
    Many days I do 2-3 hours because I love it. So my best advice is much like that above - find what you LOVE
    to do so that it is FUN and makes you happy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

YOU may not think so, but people with curves do it all the time. I hate to use Kim K. as an example, but she works out and still maintains her shape, because working out for her isn't about losing weight...it's about toning. Also Buffy the Body and her "Bodynomics" videos shows that as well. I mention these people because they are examples of a body type that can be full and fit.

We know we can't "spot tone" but if you are born naturally curvy, you can of course define your figure more. And if you are born without as many curves, you can build muscle that also provides a sexy definition.

thats the thing. some people have genetics on their side.