I want to eat healthy but I hate veggies.

Options
emsoquena
emsoquena Posts: 127 Member
Hi there.

I'm looking to lose a lot of weight by eating and snacking healthy, and most of my family and friends suggested eating veggies. But I'm going to be honest here, I hate veggies. I hate how they taste and I prefer fruits. But I know fruits has some sugar content, right?Anyways, is there anything you can recommend? And I know that veggies and leafy greens are essential to our diet, so can you suggest a way of preparing them so I can at least tolerate them? :smile:

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit is better than a piece of cake. Js....
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Roast them - I've found that roasting veggies gives them the most luxurious flavor EVER. Spray cut veggies with nonstick spray and sprinkle with seasonings, then roast them at 425 until they're browned and delicious. Good veggies for roasting: broccoli, carrots, brussels sprouts, bell peppers and onions.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am not a big veggie fan either. However, I do eat raw veggies. I think they taste better raw than cooked and cooking can take out some of the nutrients from them. Also I like the texture better raw too. I like raw celery with low fat cream cheese as a snack. Carrots and Cauliflower with light ranch dressing. Or a salad with apples, cucumbers, dried cranberries and low fat cheddar cheese. Or a stirfry where the veggies are lightly cooked and still have snap to them.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    iit would help if you were more specific about what you've tried and what you didn't like.
    most of us don't like canned veggies either. and there are some versions of veggies that I won't
    touch with a ten foot pole if I can help it, but I eat a ton of them.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    learn to like them. Your body will crave them after a while.
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    Not sure what you like to eat but you can 'hide' veggies in almost anything. Make a homemade smoothie and put raw baby spinach, kale or ever frozen broccoli in it. I SWEAR you won't even taste it.
    Spaghetti sauce? I put shredded carrot or even shredded zucchini in the sauce while cooking. No one is the wiser.
    Good luck!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    me too, but get em down. I have found that raw veggies are easier to get down than cooked, especially canned, and I cut them big so I can eat them with my fingers.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Roast them - I've found that roasting veggies gives them the most luxurious flavor EVER. Spray cut veggies with nonstick spray and sprinkle with seasonings, then roast them at 425 until they're browned and delicious. Good veggies for roasting: broccoli, carrots, brussels sprouts, bell peppers and onions.

This. Took the words right out of my mouth. Using this method, I've never met a vegetable that I didn't like. Also you could sautee some vegetables in a skillet with olive oil,and add a little rice and lean meat. Good eatin'
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Seconding roasting vegetables -- it's amazing.

Also, keep trying things -- new veggies, new ways of preparing them. I hated many vegetables for a long time, but it turns out I didn't hate the veggies themselves -- just how they'd always been prepared for me. Check out some recipes at AllRecipes or Cooks.com and find interesting ways to add veggies to your food. And this may sound silly, but some parenting blogs have ideas for how to "sneak" veggies into kids' food -- like puree butternut squash into mac and cheese so they can't taste it. Some of this might work for you!

I also have learned to LOVE vegetable juice as a way to get some servings in. You don't get the fiber, true, but you get good nutrients. Usually I have 4 oz with my breakfast. Sometimes I'll have 4 oz mixed with beer later in the day :D
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. I hate veggies too
    and salad
    And a few fruits, really.

But take it slow, make yourself eat even just a piece. Find something you like with it. Like, now, I enjoy salad with some chicken. I suppose it can be an acquired taste, but I don't think I'll ever like broccoli. Just find what you like, try what you don't know and make it work for you :)
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    They said it above. Roasting. Changes everything. You'll never look at a turnip the same way again.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hide them in smoothies, Roast or even better.. grill them, cook them into dishes, like rice or sauces....
    uhhhhhh
    I can't fathom... I love veggies. Alot. Especially Broccoli and asparagus.. and brussels sprouts. Ohhhh man.
    If any of my veggies are boiled or steamed, I drink the leftover water like a tea. So tasty! <3
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Interesting choices, never tried to roast brussells my favourites are parsnips but in summer aubergines , bell peppers and courgettes which are actually fruits! Add onion and garlic and they are all really sweet and yummy
  • Shaom
    Shaom Posts: 2
    Options
    I second what JWB42 wrote, which is to include some in smoothies. You will definitely not taste kale or spinach as long as you're using other ingredients like an apple or other fruit. An example would be a handful or two of spinach/kale, cup of greek yogurt, little almond milk and some fruit. Maybe some protein powder too. That is hands down the easiest way to include some fibrous veggies in your diet in my opinion. Also, I recently began making a simple broccoli stir-fry with a little low sodium soy sauce and it makes the broccoli taste very good. I include shrimp or turkey with that. I absolutely cannot stand vegetables for the most part, but those two ways have made it very easy for me. Keep asking here and googling and you'll find a way.
  • emsoquena
    emsoquena Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks for the ideas, everyone! Although roasting them would mean taking some effort but I'll try it out. I'm curious, if I'm gonna have a green salad, what kind of dressing would have the least calories?

Oh, and I love fruits btw so that's not a problem for me. :)
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am not really a veggie fan either. It is something I would never eat if it wasn't good for you. I make myself eat them. I do eat a lot in soup. I have roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus. I can usually eat 2-3 brussel sprouts and 3-4 asparagus spears doing that way. In summer I put them on the grill. I steam broccoli with some seasonings. Now green beans I love. Carrots I would rather eat raw, but I have an issue with crunchy/noisy food. I have to slice them up into smaller pieces to limit the noise that I find irritating. I also eat the leafy greens like spinach in salad. I usually combine spinach and romaine and put a small amount of vinegarette dressing on it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    dressings that have the least calories are vinegar based or mustard base (also has vinegar in it)

but it would be a good idea to have a dressing with a little olive or other type healthy oil, or nuts, seeds, fatty fish,
    something with healthy fats to help absorb and digest the vitamin A in your food. avocado is popular.
    also, sometimes if i have oranges in a salad, i don't need very much dressing, or any. depends what kind of salad it is, and how much.
  • sylviabest2
    sylviabest2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    3 veggie recipes I love

1. Sauteed spinach
    2. Roasted broccoli w/ parmesan
    3. Smashed cauliflower (sub for mashed potatoes)

I found different recipes on food network.com, all recipes.com, food.com

I also started adding carrots and spinach to my fruit smoothies to get more veggies. Just water, fruit, veggies in the blender. Some of my friends use almond milk instead
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a shake almost every day which includes: baby spinach, kale, 1/2 banana, shredded carrots, protein powder, blueberries, strawberries, flax seed and cinnamon. Tastes nothing like veggies (which I love anyway). Try something like this and you'll love your veggies.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find these things you were talking about in my fridge. :P I only have veggies when they are wrapped in carbs. Like subway, pita pit, ect.