Calories burned coughing?

Options
I've been sick with strep throat and haven't been able to exercise for almost a week...but I noticed my abdominal muscles are achy and sore from just coughing all day. I tried to look up how many calories you burn coughing and the only responses I found were "not a significant amount". Can this really be true? I feel exhausted after a coughing fit and seriously sore... I've also been REALLY hungry :(

Does anyone have any more specific information about this?

Replies

• justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha I googled it and found this, not sure how true it is!!

"In a days worth of continuous coughing (especially due to an illness) you burn approximately 4000-5000 calories. Also, when ill, your body uses up more calories trying to fight off the illness."
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options

"In a days worth of continuous coughing (especially due to an illness) you burn approximately 4000-5000 calories. Also, when ill, your body uses up more calories trying to fight off the illness."

I saw that and I think it's crazy talk! If I were burning THAT much I'd be losing weight! lol
  • kelijonas
    Options
    I've been sick as hell with a cold/sinus infection that turned into bronchitis for 2 weeks. The coughing is KILLING me!! However, the hubby pointed out that it looked like I had lost a ton of weight, so I got on the scale. 11 lbs in 10 days... I think it may burn more than we think... j/s...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    probably not a lot of calories but it works your abs like crazy
  • arcabeleno
    arcabeleno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    least if i'm coughing i'm not eating !
  • Hazel9999
    Hazel9999 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thats amazing if its true
    Almost worth being ill
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    lol....
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thats amazing if its true
    Almost worth being ill
    lol
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Coughing is a fantastic workout. I have actually taken up smoking, recently, so I can cough more frequently. I'll have the body of a fitness model in no time!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i've read that you burn slightly more calories when you're sick too.

I suppose coughing burns slightly more cals than banging my head on the wall.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Probably more than pilates.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Not as much as banging ones head on a desk in disbelief, either.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Coughing is a fantastic workout. I have actually taken up smoking, recently, so I can cough more frequently. I'll have the body of a fitness model in no time!

Not cool dude! I laughed so hard I started coughing again!!!

I always lose weight when I'm sick. It's the only time I don't have a good apetite.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

smashing-computer.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've been sick with strep throat and haven't been able to exercise for almost a week...but I noticed my abdominal muscles are achy and sore from just coughing all day. I tried to look up how many calories you burn coughing and the only responses I found were "not a significant amount". Can this really be true? I feel exhausted after a coughing fit and seriously sore... I've also been REALLY hungry :(

Does anyone have any more specific information about this?

you should probably start logging how many times you blink each day. the calorie burn from that alone could really add up!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

smashing-computer.gif

An extra burn if you make yourself bleed. If you knocked yourself out, that's time spent not eating
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

smashing-computer.gif

An extra burn if you make yourself bleed. If you knocked yourself out, that's time spent not eating

And if you bleed you're losing weight! WIN!

This crap depresses me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    probably not a lot of calories but it works your abs like crazy

thats why you always see chain smokers with rediculous abs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Quick! Everyone! Lick OP :laugh:
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I was coughing like crazy for 2-3 weeks I thought the same thing. Interesting!! Feel better!