From size 22 to size 8

Options
wendybird5
wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
It's funny how even my friends who knew me way back when I was huge can't believe I was ever so big. And new people I meet can't fathom I was a big girl so I made some new before and after pics.

9a98e26a-1b33-45de-9dec-22ddc40dc9bc_zpsfa43f7a2.jpg

The pic on the left was for some publicity shots for my grad school back when I was 243 pounds. The one on the right was taken yesterday. I'm 157 now.

It took me a year and a half to lose the weight at roughly one pound lost a week. (I was aiming for two, but I'm not very disciplined, plus your body is going to do what it wants to do so sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride.)

When I started I only counted calories. No regular exercise unless I wanted to earn more calories to eat more food. I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was within my calorie range and I gave myself one cheat day a week to go over which helped for birthday parties, holidays and other events where food was involved. I lost 30 pounds in six months doing that.

Once I had started paying attention to labels and calorie counts at my fave fast food joints and restaurants, I started swapping out foods for lower calorie or healthier options: a Whopper Jr. with no mayo or cheese instead of a regular Whopper, protein style burgers instead of ones with the bun, Ezekiel bread for my sandwiches, hummus as a veggie dip or in place of mayo on my turkey sandwich. I stopped keeping snack foods in my house and if I craved any, I'd have to walk down to the gas station to buy just a single serving bag.

I also started going to the gym three days a week. At the time I just did cardio so I was on treadmills, ellipticals or bikes, depending on which were available. I also would regularly hike with friends or go cycling around town. That got me another 30 pounds lost in another six months. I also joined a new gym and discovered that if you like your gym, it's so much easier to be motivated to work out.

Then there was a month when I just hit a wall. Started binging a lot and gained ten pounds. I'd completely lost my motivation despite having gone past the halfway mark. I was frustrated I wasn't losing weight faster. I was depressed about my career and my failed dating life. I was just tired of working so hard and seeing such little payoff in all aspects of my life. It just didn't seem worth the trouble anymore.

Not wanting to end up back at 240 again, I finally splurged on a trainer using the rest of my available credit card limit. My trainer was so supportive, gave me lots of advice for more effective cardio workouts (I got off the ellipticals and stationary bikes and started to do Spinning, Stairmaster and walked on the treadmills using steeper inclines - 15-30%), put me on a 1200 calorie, low sodium, no sugar, meal plan with lean protein in every serving and worked out with me three days a week on strength training. He really challenged me and got me remotivated. Istarting going to the gym 5-6 days a week and in four months I'd lost the weight I'd gained plus another 25 pounds to put me at 85 pounds lost.

Back on my own, I dropped a few more pounds which put me at my original goal weight of 155 (my high school weight), yet I found I was actually two sizes smaller than I was in school (a size 8 now versus my old size 12). I then decided to focus more on strength training so I now do a 50/50 mix of weights and cardio. Initially that bumped me up four pounds, but because the weight gain was in muscle which takes up less volume than fat, I still looked smaller and recently was able to buy my first pair of size six jeans. And I recently dropped two of those pounds again. As long as I don't go over 160, I'm happy.

I am at the gym every morning six days a week and workout 60-90 minutes when I'm there. I had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) measured at a health and fitness center and use that for my calorie limit. On my cheat days, I strive not to go over my maintenance limit so that I'm not gaining back weight. In my diet, I still eat what I want, but try to aim for 1g of protein for each pound of weight and to keep my sodium low since I tend to add on water weight easily. During the work week, I basically eat the same thing every day which makes it easy for my food budget and for planning, but on weekends it's a little harder because then I crave variety in my meals.

I've stopped focusing on weight loss and am now more concerned with lowering my body fat % (it used to be 48% and now is 28% with my goal being 25%), maintaining a size eight or dropping to a size six depending on how and where my body decides to drop fat and add muscle, and improving my strength and endurance by doing heavier weights and training to run my first 5K.

I'm not bikini ready yet, but there are some faint outlines of abs starting to show and I'm now making sure I get enough protein to help build more muscle so it can help me burn off that stubborn fat. But even if I don't get any leaner or stronger than I am today, it's still a vast improvement over where I was back in June 2011 when I first started with MFP.

3cc105ff-f7ce-46b9-b8c6-42140f24bdd7_zpsbf000545.jpg

Replies

• unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    amazing job, you look grate
  • ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, well done:smile:
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! It takes a lot of dedication to do what you did!
  • MsND
    MsND Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Wow what an inspiration you are!!! I'm needing to lose 200 and am just down 9, but I'm taking it one day at a time. It sounds like exercise really helped you. I've made a pact with myself to ride my indoor bike 10 min or more each day. So far so good.
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is just amazing! I've lost 30 lbs so far and have about 40 lbs. to go, so thank you for the inspiration. I don't know how you were able to give up sugar totally, but great job! I really don't think I could without losing my mind! :noway:
    It's funny how even my friends who knew me way back when I was huge can't believe I was ever so big. And new people I meet can't fathom I was a big girl so I made some new before and after pics.

9a98e26a-1b33-45de-9dec-22ddc40dc9bc_zpsfa43f7a2.jpg

The pic on the left was for some publicity shots for my grad school back when I was 243 pounds. The one on the right was taken yesterday. I'm 157 now.

It took me a year and a half to lose the weight at roughly one pound lost a week. (I was aiming for two, but I'm not very disciplined, plus your body is going to do what it wants to do so sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride.)

When I started I only counted calories. No regular exercise unless I wanted to earn more calories to eat more food. I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was within my calorie range and I gave myself one cheat day a week to go over which helped for birthday parties, holidays and other events where food was involved. I lost 30 pounds in six months doing that.

Once I had started paying attention to labels and calorie counts at my fave fast food joints and restaurants, I started swapping out foods for lower calorie or healthier options: a Whopper Jr. with no mayo or cheese instead of a regular Whopper, protein style burgers instead of ones with the bun, Ezekiel bread for my sandwiches, hummus as a veggie dip or in place of mayo on my turkey sandwich. I stopped keeping snack foods in my house and if I craved any, I'd have to walk down to the gas station to buy just a single serving bag.

I also started going to the gym three days a week. At the time I just did cardio so I was on treadmills, ellipticals or bikes, depending on which were available. I also would regularly hike with friends or go cycling around town. That got me another 30 pounds lost in another six months. I also joined a new gym and discovered that if you like your gym, it's so much easier to be motivated to work out.

Then there was a month when I just hit a wall. Started binging a lot and gained ten pounds. I'd completely lost my motivation despite having gone past the halfway mark. I was frustrated I wasn't losing weight faster. I was depressed about my career and my failed dating life. I was just tired of working so hard and seeing such little payoff in all aspects of my life. It just didn't seem worth the trouble anymore.

Not wanting to end up back at 240 again, I finally splurged on a trainer using the rest of my available credit card limit. My trainer was so supportive, gave me lots of advice for more effective cardio workouts (I got off the ellipticals and stationary bikes and started to do Spinning, Stairmaster and walked on the treadmills using steeper inclines - 15-30%), put me on a 1200 calorie, low sodium, no sugar, meal plan with lean protein in every serving and worked out with me three days a week on strength training. He really challenged me and got me remotivated. Istarting going to the gym 5-6 days a week and in four months I'd lost the weight I'd gained plus another 25 pounds to put me at 85 pounds lost.

Back on my own, I dropped a few more pounds which put me at my original goal weight of 155 (my high school weight), yet I found I was actually two sizes smaller than I was in school (a size 8 now versus my old size 12). I then decided to focus more on strength training so I now do a 50/50 mix of weights and cardio. Initially that bumped me up four pounds, but because the weight gain was in muscle which takes up less volume than fat, I still looked smaller and recently was able to buy my first pair of size six jeans. And I recently dropped two of those pounds again. As long as I don't go over 160, I'm happy.

I am at the gym every morning six days a week and workout 60-90 minutes when I'm there. I had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) measured at a health and fitness center and use that for my calorie limit. On my cheat days, I strive not to go over my maintenance limit so that I'm not gaining back weight. In my diet, I still eat what I want, but try to aim for 1g of protein for each pound of weight and to keep my sodium low since I tend to add on water weight easily. During the work week, I basically eat the same thing every day which makes it easy for my food budget and for planning, but on weekends it's a little harder because then I crave variety in my meals.

I've stopped focusing on weight loss and am now more concerned with lowering my body fat % (it used to be 48% and now is 28% with my goal being 25%), maintaining a size eight or dropping to a size six depending on how and where my body decides to drop fat and add muscle, and improving my strength and endurance by doing heavier weights and training to run my first 5K.

I'm not bikini ready yet, but there are some faint outlines of abs starting to show and I'm now making sure I get enough protein to help build more muscle so it can help me burn off that stubborn fat. But even if I don't get any leaner or stronger than I am today, it's still a vast improvement over where I was back in June 2011 when I first started with MFP.

3cc105ff-f7ce-46b9-b8c6-42140f24bdd7_zpsbf000545.jpg
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You look great. You found what works for you, and stuck with it. Great job! Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey.
  • JudithEssex
    JudithEssex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fabulous story! You look great and did it in such a human and smart way.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Wow what an inspiration you are!!! I'm needing to lose 200 and am just down 9, but I'm taking it one day at a time. It sounds like exercise really helped you. I've made a pact with myself to ride my indoor bike 10 min or more each day. So far so good.

Actually learning to eat in moderation made the biggest difference. Before I'd exercise a lot, but didn't watch my portions and couldn't lose more than 10-20 pounds and working out harder only caused me to injure myself badly. 80% of my weight loss was all about what and how much I ate.
    Wow, that is just amazing! I've lost 30 lbs so far and have about 40 lbs. to go, so thank you for the inspiration. I don't know how you were able to give up sugar totally, but great job! I really don't think I could without losing my mind!

Oh, I didn't give up sugar totally. On my cheat day I would go a bit crazy with the sweets, but now I am better about not indulging as much. I find if I give myself a little bit, I'm less likely to eat a ton of it later. (Fun size bars rule!)
  • Bberl
    Bberl Posts: 32
    Options
    Well done! I am inspired by your success, thanks for sharing:-)
  • Skinny625
    Skinny625 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to see today to know that it can be done. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
    Good Job and you look amazing.
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You have done an amazing job! :)
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Thanks for being such an inspiration!
  • kristinmarie1986
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for telling your story!! The last time I tried to lose weight, I lost about 50 lbs and stopped at the weight of 170 lbs. It was so hard to continue with the strict diet I'd put myself on and I was so much happier with the way I looked that I stopped watching it so closely. Then I moved and got really depressed for awhile (for many of the same reasons you shared) and gained back about 80 lbs. It's really nice to hear someone with similar issues who didn't gain all the weight back, stuck with it and continued on!
  • chelle753
    Options
    thats awesome! Keep up the good work
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Love it! It's nice to know that you can lose weight and not eat "clean" every single day of the week. I like that you have made different choices while still eating the foods you love. It's called life and being practical. You will no doubt help a lot of people by sharing your story. Thank you!
  • khyman
    khyman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing with all of us. You have done an AMAZING JOB and are SO inspirational! I am thankful to have you as a friend!
  • yorkieII
    yorkieII Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    great job!! I enjoyed reading your story and had some great tips! :)
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Love that you have a story with some ups and downs-- which we all have-- and how you coped with them. You inspired me today, so thank you.

:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!