Feeling hungry when going to bed

Options
I usually have dinner quite "late" at about 8-8.30 pm. Usually I have either:
a) an omelette with tuna
b) a salad
c) some fish and salad
d) stir fry.

I don't usually have any carbs at that time. And then, at 10pm I have an apple.

And that's it. I have more or less big lunches though.

Anyways, is this really bad?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you're still hungry when you go to bed? If so, try saving some more calories so you can have a more substantial snack before bed. Like some peanut butter on your apple. Or have less lunch and a bigger dinner. Your diary isn't open so I can't see what your daily allotment is, but there's also a chance that you're hungry because you have your calories set too low.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    If you have the room for it in your plan or have done an extra workout, try having some veggies and hummus before going to bed. Air popped popcorn is good and not a ton of calories, though it will have carbs for you. A salad in the evening as a snack with lots of fresh veggies is a good idea too. Or a cheese stick.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I usually go to bed hungry. I never wake up hungry.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    What is the question, exactly.

1. If you're going to bed hungry and that bothers you, eat more for dinner, or go to bed earlier, or eat dinner later.
    2. Two meals a day is fine.
    3. Eating at night (you can eat at 9:57 and go to bed at 9:58 if you want) does not affect weight loss.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I usually go to bed hungry. I never wake up hungry.

this :smile:

but maybe you should try going to bed sooner before the hunger kicks in. You say you eating between 8-8.30 so you wont be done with eating till 9 pm (i eat slow), what time are you eating your apple? what time are you going to sleep?

"edit" reread your post ok apple at 10 try going to bed around 10:30, 11 latest
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

1. If you're going to bed hungry and that bothers you, eat more for dinner, or go to bed earlier, or eat dinner later.
    3. Eating at night (you can eat at 9:57 and go to bed at 9:58 if you want) does not affect weight loss.

however, it can affect how well you sleep (which can affect weight loss), and can cause reflux issues - especially in those who are overweight.

it's not really advisable to go to sleep immediately after eating a meal
  • cmriverside
    Options

however, it can affect how well you sleep (which can affect weight loss), and can cause reflux issues - especially in those who are overweight.

it's not really advisable to go to sleep immediately after eating a meal

Advisable by whom? You? Well, I advise that it can also make it very difficult to go to sleep if you are hungry. I have more trouble going to sleep hungry than full.

So - I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ........and, the OP is not over-weight. So she most likely doesn't have reflux issues. She's at her goal. And she's hungry.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Coach, argue amongst yourself. I'm done here. Go ahead and have the last word. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I could never go to bed hungry, then I just lie in bed thinking of food. :laugh:

If it works for you then no harm. But if it doesn't, then have a better snack before bed :bigsmile: You'll soon find out if that helps you or hinders you.
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Eat something with protein before going to bed - apples are good too but the sugars maybe kicking in and leaving you hungry. I usually get hungry after eating carbs or surgars. I actually drink a protein shake loaded with protein before bed so I dont get hungry.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Drink water.

I usually don't go to bed overly hungry, but I wake up hungry so I eat breakfast.
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    I had this problem 2weeks ago. Ive upped my calories and Im sleeping better
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories? I see you're maintaining and based on your stats you should be eating between 1760 and 2433 calories depending on your activity level (And I'd say most people fall into a higher activity level than they think, no-one's truly sedentary)

Go to: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and work out how many calories you need and adjust accordingly, I rarely feel hungry and I'm eating at TDEE - 20% so someone who's in maintenance shouldn't :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat right up to when I go to bed. Unless you have reflux issues, dislike going to bed full or have a medical reason meal timing is irrelevant to weight control.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    constanza1.jpg

Ohh YEAH
  • Treewud
    Treewud Posts: 12
    Options
    I once read an artical by one of the biggest loser coaches. He said " if your not going to bed hungery your doing it wrong.". Theres supposed to be 12 hours between your last meal and your first meal that why its called breakfast (break fast).
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep when I'm hungry, but lately, I found that a slice of cheese has curbed my late night hunger pains. I sometimes eat fruit if I'm hungry and up late, but the important thing for me is, before I grab a late snack, I determine if fruit will satisfy my hunger or is something more substantial needed. I only get one shot to curb my hunger before bed and I think about what's more filling for me at the time. Also, I usually try to make my late snack less that 100 calories, but sometimes when you're hungry you just have to eat.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I once read an artical by one of the biggest loser coaches. He said " if your not going to bed hungery your doing it wrong.". Theres supposed to be 12 hours between your last meal and your first meal that why its called breakfast (break fast).

I laughing like crazy at your pic, while we're talking about being hungry.:laugh: